X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "fencing > kendo"

There's a not-so-nice guy on another board that says that European fencing is 'superior' to Kendo. Here are some of his quotes:

why wouldn't comparing the two be sensible, thinking that you couldn't compare them would not be sensible

they are both arts with the end result of learning swordplay

which ever art teaches the superior swordplay would be imo, the superior art
    fencing > kendo

don't believe me? go ahead and challenge the fencing club!! mwahaha
    Ugh. Crap like this makes me sick. Help me teach him a lesson.

http://ur.anime.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=441

Why bother? The "fencing vs. kendo" issue is never going to be resolved, and it isn't really interesting anyway. Go ahead and correct facts if someone seems to be utterly clueless, but don't fall in the trap and try to prove that "my martial art is better than yours"!

Comment

read my thread

I started a thread along these lines not so long ago..... had some interesting outcomes, read it if you will as you may learn something from it.
      ever thought he may just be having a joke? Why should we "teach him a lesson"? If we tought everyone who dissagreed with us a "lesson" then the world would be a dire place strewn with not but corpses. would you like to "teach a lesson" to a person who supports a different sports team to you? Or likes vanilla sundeas instead of chocolate ones? well, at the least I know I wouldn't.
      To finish (as both an avid kendoka and fencer myself) I feel we should enjoy our arts as we will, and if a supporter of "the opposing team" as you may like to call it decides to show a little team spirit then let him get on with it, and enjoy the little fun that there is without being "offensive" or "politically incorrect" that may be left in this world.

p.s. Just for the record, I prefer kendo to fencing - fencing breeches cause major wedgees

Comment

Just because someone disagrees with our opinions, doesn't mean that we should go over and beat the crap out of him Each to their own.

Kendo vs Fencing isn't really something to get mad about. Everyone has their own passions, and to argue that kendo is superior to european fencing is pointless, because fencing is clearly something close to that person's heart. The discussion will get nowhere

Same will happen if someone tried to convince you that kendo isn't superior to fencing.. you're not about to change your mind, are you? I doubt he would be.

Comment

Please, everyone knows that:

kendo < kumdo < fencing

Comment

Well, actually this question was somewhat answered in a japanese show...

I remember watching a program, where they pitted a kendoka, around 60~70 years of age (if not more), not sure which dan he was, since I wasn't I knew nothing about kendo then (I just know he's someone who's got a good rank), and the fencing guy was a young japanese university student, top fencer in Japan. The objective was, the first of the two who got to touch the kote, men, or whatever other part that they had predecided for the rules, would win. It was an ippon match. Since it's hard to make rules that are acceptable for both, for sure, one of them had the disavantage (the kendoka imo). The match lasted seconds, the fencer got the kendoka's kote first, and even though the kendoka also got him, about at the same time, after the slow motion, they decided that the fencer won.

Now of course, that doesn't mean fencing > kendo, since there were many unfair factors for both sides. First of all, kendoka was really old. The fencer was in his middle 20s. The objective was to touch the other first, unlike kendo's rules. Difference in styles are totally different between fencing and kendo. Fencers have a bigger maai I think... so it's hard to get near them. Oh, and the stage was also a straight line, Meaning there were no sideway movements. In such a narrow space, stabbing with a long, lighter sword may indeed be easier... Of course, the fencer had his disavantages too. Even though he was the best fencer in Japan universities, Japan isn't that great with fencing (I think?), while kendo, Japan is at the top. What if the top kendoka and top fencer battled it out?

I think we will never know which is better. It's like saying, who would win, brazillian soccer team or Canada's hockey team? They are two totally different things.

What if it was a fight to death, between a top samurai and a top knight? Would be intersting to see...

Comment

Well, what just gets me is how ignorant he is, that's all. I don't care if you don't like Kendo, but just don't have the wrong idea about it, that's all.

Comment

Just let him be :P It doesn't matter what others think guess... Each person has their own opinions and all. We do what we want, they do what they want, and everytihng is good. As long as they don't do anything that affects others, it's all good.

Comment

I think that he posted that just to be stupid and didn't really have much meaning behind it. Whenever you post something, you will get that thread that says something nonsensical, especially in a forum that is crawling with immature 13 year-olds like an Anime or video gaming forum.

Comment

Overcomplication

Neither is better or worse, it's the fighter, not the style that makes the difference

Originally posted by Sinta
                    Just because someone disagrees with our opinions, doesn't mean that we should go over and beat the crap out of him Each to their own.

Kendo vs Fencing isn't really something to get mad about. Everyone has their own passions, and to argue that kendo is superior to european fencing is pointless, because fencing is clearly something close to that person's heart. The discussion will get nowhere

Same will happen if someone tried to convince you that kendo isn't superior to fencing.. you're not about to change your mind, are you? I doubt he would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Anime12478
                      immature 13 year-olds
                      We're not all that bad- apart from the fact that i have a sudden urge to trash my room scream at my parents and complain for days on end.
                      - HA! As if.....

Comment

Originally posted by swordteacher99
                        Neither is better or worse, it's the fighter, not the style that makes the difference
                        I don't know, it sounds so wise yet so oxymoron at the same time when I read this. I think it's the person, not the sentence.

Comment

Who cares which is better? Ignore the other person and just practise what you want! Doesn't relly matter which is better as long as YOU enjoy it, right?

Comment

as much as I would love to rip on fencing I think the only people who can really compare teh two are the peole who have done both extensively.

Comment

The real difference between FIE fencing and kendo as far as I'm concerned is that it's much easier to pursue kendo recreationally. If you're not actively competitive, the fencing clubs really aren't interested in teaching you. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's the case here and that's the word I get from a lot of fencers. One fellow I knew had been an extremely competitive fencer and in fact was still winning in masters competition, but his coaches felt his competitive career was winding down and so turned to the younger prospects. He was welcome to come out to practices, but got almost no instruction. Like many sports, it seems that in fencing you're either competing or coaching - no in-between.

As a life sport, kendo is much more viable than fencing. And many other martial arts, for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X