Professional qualifications and accredited experience:

1st Dan, of the British Judo Association (1965),
    1st Dan, of the Shindo Muso Ryu Jojutsu (1970),
    Graduate, of the Namikoshi Shiatsu Foundation (1970),
    1st Dan, of the Kodokan Judo (1970),
    3rd Dan, of the All Japan Aikido Association (1980),
    3rd Dan, of the Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido (1984),
    3rd Dan, of the Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo (1984),
    4th Dan, of the Japan Karatedo Itotsu Kai - Ryuku Kobudo (inc: Nunchaku; Rokushakubo; Sai; Tonfa; Kamma) (1984),
    2nd Dan, of the All Japan Jodo Federation (1988),
    3rd Dan, of the All Japan Kendo Association (1988),
    4th Dan, of the All Japan Iaido Federation (1988),
    5th Dan, of the Dokuritsu Jodo Renmei (1989),
    5th Dan, of the Dokuritsu Iaido Renmei (1989),
    6th Dan, of the Seitei Tanjo (1990),
    6th Dan, of the Goshinjutsu (1990)

"1st Dan, of the British Judo Association (1965)"

Q: Who is *this* guy?!??

A: old?

i kid....

author of this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...415546-7516014
    Last edited by T.Lee; 18th November 2005, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Wow, that is quite a list of grades...

I tried to find him in the EKF dan-register for Great-Britain, without luck. But, that doesn't really mean anything since I only assumed he was british since he was with the British Judo federation

Comment

author of this book.
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...415546-7516014

and apparently two previous books on iado and jodo.

Comment

He comes up a few times on e-budo, here's a representative thread. If you search for his name there you'll find some other opinions.

Comment

The only reason I ask is because I accidentally stumbled on the name yesterday, and my first reaction was... anybody waving around that kind of resume is probably f.o.s. ....
            thanks..
            tango

Comment

Micky Finn was a member of the British Kendo Association many years ago. I was not around at the time but I heard that there was a strong disagreement with other members and Micky Finn left and founded what was called the British Kendo Renmei.

It was not recognised by the IKF of AJKF, so none of his gradings are recognized. He set up clubs in different parts of the UK, set up his own grading system.

Many members of the BKR have since joined the BKA.

Comment

fact check

It was surely mr Knutsenwho set up the bkr.
                mr.Finn ran a nice little earner of a dojo, and his claim to fame wasthat he had more "black belts'' than anyone else.

I remember doing a kata grade with one of his students. He sent them to the BKA. for grading {though that was a long time ago.]

Comment

Mr Knutsen is my Sensei ! BKR it is.

Comment

I'm ex-renmei,now BKA; I trained under Knutsen sensei for a few years - afair, mike finn was never renmei. I do remember him doing articles for Combat magazine, and I'm sure he was always referred to as a member of BKA.

Comment

Mickey Finn did Kendo with Fujii Okimitsu sensei (Kenseikai) for a few years some years ago. He set up the Elite? Martial Arts Academy to teach private self defence etc. (An ex policeman?)

No disgreement as far as I know just some inane person who jumped of the bandwagon before he could use drumsticks. First he claimed to have Kendo Shodan. The grades get added after power trips to Japan and having his photograph taken with well known teachers to back up his status. He uses "Kanshajo waza". I had a call from Gordon Warner about him. He left on one occasion from Okinawa leaving one very irate Okinawa Kobudo teacher who threated legal action after he published a photo of him and that teacher somewhere with a supposed new qualification as an expert in Kobudo.

An excellent candidate for randmaster sokey dokey professor of the world council wotchamacallit.

Bit of a thorn in the BKA's side as a mac dojo but its a democratic country and no one can stop you doing these things. No once its forced to be member of BKA. We just have to hope people can sort out the real stuff from the fake.

I was a member of "The Eikoku Kendo Renmei". Still have my blood donor type registration card. At the time Knutsen Sensei was the boss of us all (UK Kendo grandads). We had club meetings and most went with the newly formed BKA hoping for a more democratic organization (damn that's some time ago now). I could scan and post my Eikoku Kendo Renmei card if anyone is intersted to see what it looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyaku
                        Mickey Finn did Kendo with Fujii Okimitsu sensei (Kenseikai) for a few years some years ago. He set up the Elite? Martial Arts Academy to teach private self defence etc. (An ex policeman?)

No disgreement as far as I know just some inane person who jumped of the bandwagon before he could use drumsticks. First he claimed to have Kendo Shodan. The grades get added after power trips to Japan and having his photograph taken with well known teachers to back up his status. He uses "Kanshajo waza". I had a call from Gordon Warner about him. He left on one occasion from Okinawa leaving one very irate Okinawa Kobudo teacher who threated legal action after he published a photo of him and that teacher somewhere with a supposed new qualification as an expert in Kobudo.

An excellent candidate for randmaster sokey dokey professor of the world council wotchamacallit.

Bit of a thorn in the BKA's side as a mac dojo but its a democratic country and no one can stop you doing these things. No once its forced to be member of BKA. We just have to hope people can sort out the real stuff from the fake.

I was a member of "The Eikoku Kendo Renmei". Still have my blood donor type registration card. At the time Knutsen Sensei was the boss of us all (UK Kendo grandads). We had club meetings and most went with the newly formed BKA hoping for a more democratic organization (damn that's some time ago now). I could scan and post my Eikoku Kendo Renmei card if anyone is intersted to see what it looked like.
                        I would like to see it if you don't mind. Is Cidokan old enough to have one? (I'm guessing yes)

Comment

Originally posted by tango
                          f.o.s. ....

tango

Fredrick of Saxony?

Comment

Apologies got Micky Finn mixed up with Knutsen.

Comment

This cannot be left standing as is

Hyaku, you seem to know what you are talking about. Yet, why should take anybody your post below at face value (or yourself serious) unless you tell us (or me per private message) who that Okinawan Kobudo teacher was whom you mention below. I will then try to track down the photo, get in touch both with Okinawa and that Elite organisation, and report back to the forum with any statements from either side.

Why do I bother? Because I am researching the history of British Kendo at the moment (apparently Finn represented the UK at some international Kendo tournament in Japan at some stage? Anybody with more details?). One of the interesting things coming out are the tensions between the BKA and those senior kendoka who refused to submit to their reign in the 1970s and 80s (think the Pope and a string of Martin Luthers duking it out).

Originally posted by Hyaku View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X