X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion yet again

I have to say that I am confused. In my own beliefs, so much so that sometimes I just want to cry.... At the minute I am Christian, but I am beggining to believe in a lot of Buddhist teachings and aspect of other religions. The more and more I read about things I start to believe them, thought buddhism is the biggest thing I'm starting to believe in next to Christianity and in doing so I feel as if I am being sinful and putting shame on my upbringing. I even feel bad thinking these things, having to write this post. I feel a little uncomfortable discussing this with my parents, so I decided to bring it here.... I just need some advice. Please help me.

not my advice, but good advice:

Go and do more suburi

Comment

Originally posted by inuyasha
      I have to say that I am confused. In my own beliefs, so much so that sometimes I just want to cry.... At the minute I am Christian, but I am beggining to believe in a lot of Buddhist teachings and aspect of other religions. The more and more I read about things I start to believe them, thought buddhism is the biggest thing I'm starting to believe in next to Christianity and in doing so I feel as if I am being sinful and putting shame on my upbringing. I even feel bad thinking these things, having to write this post. I feel a little uncomfortable discussing this with my parents, so I decided to bring it here.... I just need some advice. Please help me.
      Actually, this is a good thread. Your not bashing other religions.

All I can say is: Try being Buddhist. Your not 'sinning', since Jesus will ALWAYS forgive you.

Do you get what I'm saying?

In this aspect, the whople Christian religion is somewhat flawed.

Peace.

PS. You may want to try Omoto-Kyo, which has some hristians, Buddhists, etc. in it: http://www.oomoto.or.jp/English/index-en.html

Comment

Originally posted by Light Samurai
        Actually, this is a good thread. Your not bashing other religions.

All I can say is: Try being Buddhist. Your not 'sinning', since Jesus will ALWAYS forgive you.

Do you get what I'm saying?

In this aspect, the whople Christian religion is somewhat flawed.

I know Jesus will always forgive me, but I do not want to exploit this, as following Christian teachings wouldn't it be bad for exploiting his good nature? Is it possible for me to be both Christian and Buddhist?

Comment

I know Jesus will always forgive me, but I do not want to exploit this, as following Christian teachings wouldn't it be bad for exploiting his good nature? Is it possible for me to be both Christian and Buddhist?
          Some say yes, others say no. I, for one, say Yes, you can try it out. But do keep in mind that Buddhism belives in Rebirth - Which you are trying to escape from. In Christanity, why not just cultivate beleif and go to heaven?

Just something to think about.

Peace.

Comment

Balance

If you wish to study Buddhism and still remain Christian, do so. You wouldn't be the first. Buddhism doesn't especially conflict with any religion. We don't worship and god, neither do we dictate that you can not if you so choose. The ultimate truth of Buddhism is finding your path on the Way. The Buddha taught that there are 84,000 paths, which is to say that everyone studies and practicies differently. Find the one that works for you and go with it. There will be no conflict unless you make it.

Namo Amidha Butsu

Comment

religion is very serious/funny thing.

it all depends on where you put your faith in. if you truly believe in 'god', does it really matter which religion one believes in? 'god' is a 'god' no matter what. religion is just a man made system of...

my understanding is christian god is a loving god, and a forgiving god. i say god will not have any bad feeling in you trying out new religion.. tho your church might.

pete

Comment

Faith

You see, that's the thing. Buddhism isn't, in the purest sense, a religion at all. The Buddha wasn't a god, he was just a person that woke up. We don't worship him, we venerate his teachings, much the way we venerate our sensei for the budo they impart to us. Buddhism is a path of self-discovery, self-awareness for the good of all persons.

Comment

[quote=Light Samurai]In Christanity, why not just cultivate beleif and go to heaven?[quote]

...because that cheapens your belief and God will call you out for the fake that you are.

Comment

a path

Originally posted by PatientDaruma
                    You see, that's the thing. Buddhism isn't, in the purest sense, a religion at all. The Buddha wasn't a god, he was just a person that woke up. We don't worship him, we venerate his teachings, much the way we venerate our sensei for the budo they impart to us. Buddhism is a path of self-discovery, self-awareness for the good of all persons.
                    In that case, would you call buddhism a path? A way of life rather than a religion as such? I need to ask this (although it may sound stupid to some) but do you think God would be unhappy with me if I was to follow the teachings of buddhism as well as christianity as in the ten commandments it does say:
                    "Do not have any other gods before Me. Do not represent [such] gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land. Do not bow down to [such gods] or worship them. I am God your Lord, a God who demands exclusive worship."

But if in buddhism it is a worship of teachings rather than a god then is this couldn't possibly be going against the ten commandments.... Either that or am I simply exploiting Gods' word and trying to find loopholes in the way he has expressed himself....

Comment

[quote=Wes Nazo][quote=Light Samurai]In Christanity, why not just cultivate beleif and go to heaven?

...because that cheapens your belief and God will call you out for the fake that you are.
                      Who says so?

I know many people who think they will go ot heaven just because they believe in some man, and they are believers, yet when it comes time to put what they believe into practice, it fails.

Peace.

Comment

I have to say that I am confused. In my own beliefs, so much so that sometimes I just want to cry.... At the minute I am Christian, but I am beggining to believe in a lot of Buddhist teachings and aspect of other religions.
                        It's good that you're truely questioning your beliefs rather than blindly following them. This can cause you to either turn away from your original religion or strengthen your faith, both are good in my opinion. I believe it's better know what you feel is the truth even if that truth may cause your faith to crumble. Be a freethinker.

...in doing so I feel as if I am being sinful and putting shame on my upbringing.
                        Of course. You're taught to believe through coersion and shame, which I believe is truely shameful. Not one person has ever tried to convert me to Buddhism.

I feel a little uncomfortable discussing this with my parents, so I decided to bring it here....
                        Not that they need to know now, unless you're trying to piss them off to rebel or something.

Comment

In that case, would you call buddhism a path? A way of life rather than a religion as such? I need to ask this (although it may sound stupid to some) but do you think God would be unhappy with me if I was to follow the teachings of buddhism as well as christianity as in the ten commandments it does say:
                          "Do not have any other gods before Me. Do not represent [such] gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land. Do not bow down to [such gods] or worship them. I am God your Lord, a God who demands exclusive worship."

But if in buddhism it is a worship of teachings rather than a god then is this couldn't possibly be going against the ten commandments.... Either that or am I simply exploiting Gods' word and trying to find loopholes in the way he has expressed himself....
                          Allow me to break this down.

"
                          Do not have any other gods before Me.
                          The Buddha was not a God.

Do not represent [such] gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land.
                          If the Buddha is not a God, why would it matter if you make a carved image out of stone? You see paintings of Jesus all over the place.

Do not bow down to [such gods] or worship them. I am God your Lord, a God who demands exclusive worship."
                          This is the hardest part. Simply don't bwo, and no one says you need a statue of the Buddha.

Peace.

Comment

hey. I'm right there with you, honest.

What helped me was just not being afraid to disect any religion I was considering. When it comes right down to it I take advice from Jessus, the Buddha and myself. What most religions come down to anyway is being unafriad, humble and good to people, so, don't sweat it.

Good luck, I hope you find some kind of balance,

Hannah

Comment

Originally posted by Light Samurai
                              Who says so?

I know many people who think they will go ot heaven just because they believe in some man, and they are believers, yet when it comes time to put what they believe into practice, it fails.

Peace.
                              I say so. You also just stated the point I meant.

Comment

Working...
                              X