Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English "Kendo" perhaps? With Attitoood!

http://www.rathergood.com/morris_dancers/

Enjoy!

Don't reveal the deepest secrets of the prospective 2099 British Olympic kendo squad ! Now we have lost the element of surprise.

Comment

(now watch some smartass tell me 2099 will not be an Olympic year)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark123
        (now watch some smartass tell me 2099 will not be an Olympic year)
        2099 will not be an Olympic year.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelfire
          2099 will not be an Olympic year.
          Ahem. I think if you check carefully in Bloggis's de rigeur UKendo manual (J Bloggis, ed.1843 pgs 92-99) 2099 is most definitely an Olympic year. Maybe a less well known one, but one that every self-respecting UKendo practitioner is well aware of.

Comment

silly brits. never distribute your squad's training video on the net. when will you ever learn?

~taganahan

Comment

Originally posted by taganahan
              silly brits. never distribute your squad's training video on the net. when will you ever learn?

~taganahan
              the japs do it ... but thats because they can afford to eh? wouldn't matter anyways, they always win ...

Comment

Also, Kendo will never become an Olympic sport! Japan will never let that happen, they have to have control over it and the governing body must remain there. If it becomes an Olympic sport, the Olympic committee will look after Olympic Kendo, not the IKF. Then the Koreans could intervene and make it more Kumdoish too ... we definitely don't want that to happen. So KWC is probably the biggest thing for the Kendo World ...

As for the reply to the original post ... 'British Kendo' ... it better be good!
                I am going there next year for university and I don't want my Kendo deteriorating. My Sensei, Dave Young (JCCC any Canadians know him?) kid me I will come back not knowing how to ki-ai anymore ... because they do gentlemen's ki-ai over there, lol. Any truth to that? (Highly doubt it ...)

Since we're on the subject anyways, don't mind me asking information about dojos ... I am already accepted by King's College, Oxford Brookes, Edinburgh (I've heard they have a uni club, which is quite good?), and Royal Holloway ... and Oxford, Brasenose College is still on pending (just took their test yesterday). So infos on that would be helpful ... many thanks.

Comment

haha!

Originally posted by Bear of Doom

As for the reply to the original post ... 'British Kendo' ... it better be good!
                  I am going there next year for university and I don't want my Kendo deteriorating. My Sensei, Dave Young (JCCC any Canadians know him?) kid me I will come back not knowing how to ki-ai anymore ... because they do gentlemen's ki-ai over there, lol. Any truth to that? (Highly doubt it ...)
                  Honestly, tsk tsk... *sips cup of tea*.... No seriously, British kendo is great! Your kendo won't deteriorate because of a good old English dojo! Infact, I'd place bets it would improve
                  And anyway, I'm sure if you did end up with a gentlemanly kiai it would be wierd enough to leave your opponent a little stunned for a while....

Comment

Bah! Gentlemans kiai,what will your crazy kwf cats come up with next.

Comment

Originally posted by inuyasha
                      And anyway, I'm sure if you did end up with a gentlemanly kiai it would be wierd enough to leave your opponent a little stunned for a while....
                      lol might just will ...

Comment

SINGLESTICK - REAL ENGLISH KENDO:

http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/200..._wolf_0202.htm

"The weapon is a good stout ash-stick with a large basket-handle The players are called "old gamesters," -why, I can't tell you,- and their object is simply to break one another's heads: for the moment that blood runs an inch anywhere above the eyebrow, the old gamester to whom it belongs is beaten, and has to stop. A very slight blow with the sticks will fetch blood, so that it is by no means a punishing pastime, if the men don't play on purpose, and savagely, at the body and arms of their adversaries."

"The old gamester going into action only takes off his hat and coat, and arms himself with a stick: he then loops the fingers of his left hand in a handkerchief or strap which he fastens around his left leg, measuring the length, so that when he draws it tight with his left elbow in the air, the elbow shall just reach as high as his crown. Thus you see, as long as chooses to keep up his left elbow, regardless of cuts, he has a perfect guard for the left side of his head."

"Then he advances his right hand above and in front of his head, holding his stick across so that its point projects an inch or two over his left elbow, and thus his head is completely guarded, and he faces his man armed in like manner, and they stand some three feet apart, often nearer, and feint, and strike, and return at one another's heads, until one cries 'hold,' or blood flows: in the first case they are allowed a minute's time, and go on again; in the latter, another pair of gamesters are called on. If good men are playing, the quickness of returns is marvelous; you hear a rattle like that a boy makes drawing his stick along palings, only heavier, and the closeness of the men in action to one another gives it a strange interest, and makes a spell at backswording a very noble sight."

Comment

Originally posted by Bear of Doom
                          Don't worry. I've seen a movie about british fighting spirit: http://www.kontraband.com/show/show....339&CAT=movies

Comment

Originally posted by ti.to
                            Don't worry. I've seen a movie about british fighting spirit: http://www.kontraband.com/show/show....339&CAT=movies
                            lol that clip just got me even more worried ... no im joking, I'm sure it's gonna be great Kendo in Britain, looking forward to it ... but now I'm still waiting for someone to be kind enough to tell me where the nearest dojos to those universities are ... or what are some big clubs (although I don't neccesarily prefer big ones ...)

Comment

dojo

try looking into the british kendo association website and have a look at the clubs in different areas....but if ever you end up in the west midlands area....well ill be delighted to show you around.

Comment

Working...
                              X