Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabre rattling in Canada

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4652746.stm

Jeez, the guy just won the election yeaterday and he has already started a pissing contest with the U.S., Russia and Denmark. Denmark for Pete's sake!!! Maybe this is the key to the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq, "Sorry folks, got some trouble at home, eh"

I call upon the great Saskatoonian Kendo God to put an end to this madness.

And so it begins

The madness has spread to Canada no less. Who would have thought that the place right across the lake from the US where you can leave your front doors unlocked is now getting grim. I can't hardly believe it. All the best luck to all Canadians who are waking up just now.

Comment

Well welcome to the world of nutcases

What is the world comming to?
      In the Netherlands they are trying to introduce a rule, this is not a law yet but who knows, that it is manditory to speak dutch outside.
      Is there a world wide conspiracy that all the politicians need to have a max IQ of 50 or something?

Anyway good luck! I guess that Mrs Broflovski will be right in the end.

Comment

Does building 3 new armed ice breakers really qualify as sabre rattling?

Comment

Maybe?

Originally posted by Washington
          Does building 3 new armed ice breakers really qualify as sabre rattling?
          Well it is a start, first armed ice breakers, next armored dog sleds, Mounties on a cavalery charge, who knows where this will end?

Comment

Originally posted by Fonsz
            Well it is a start, first armed ice breakers, next armored dog sleds, Mounties on a cavalery charge, who knows where this will end?
            ...It's a longterm conspiracy to eventually overtake the USA and make all American citizens listen to Celine Dion and speak French......

Comment

I was about to make some comment on the language they speak in Canada and whether or not calling it French was accurate but out of respect and the hope that Canada will join the Coalition for World Peace will hold my tongue.

Comment

The majority of Canadians don't speak French. For those who do, the way they speak depends on where they are, accents vary widely. But Montreal natives have a hard time making themselves understood in Paris due to accent and slang differences.

At any rate, I see nothing wrong with Harper taking a stand. Wilkins is a mouthpiece for Bush, and he seems to spend much of his time trying to sound like what he says should have a bearing on Canadian policy. We're a sovereign nation, as Harper says.

Comment

How is this saber rattling? If Canada was building nukes and said any action by the US to deny them that right will lead to an attack...that would be saber rattling.

Considering the US sells Fighter Jets to Pakistan(allowing them better weapons to strike ex-ally India) and then talks about the world being a dangerous place. I don't think 3 Armed Icebreakers mean jack.

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                    How is this saber rattling?
                    I started this thread half in jest but it really is a problem. The fabled "Northwest Passage" is open only a few weeks per year but now, with the melting of the ice in the arctic it seems that it is much more valuable as a shipping lane.
                    The U.S. considers it to be international waters and Canada claims it as its own. In the past the U.S. would send ships in through the passage unannounced to preserve its claims. There is now an agreement that they will tell Canada when they are coming. The "armed" ice breakers serve only one purpose and that is to threaten the U.S., classic "sabre rattling".

Everybody says the U.S. this and the U.S. and believe me, I am no big supporter of much of the U.S. policy, but it seems that all of the other countries act just like the U.S. when it is to their advantage.

So Canada builds its armed ice breakers and the U.S. sends its ships through the passage and they meet, their "Soverign Nation" flags flying in the breeze and their cannons pointed at one another. Great. I can't wait to see what happens next.

There are, of course, other issues up there. The U.S., Russia, Denmark, Norway and Canada are all fighting with one another over different parts of the arctic.

That being said, let's not lose our sense of humor and take the guns off the table.

Comment

Canada is just pissed with the US in general right now. If they'd get their heads out of their asses about softwood lumber and admit that not everyone who doesn't support their war is a bad guy, we'd feel better.

Comment

Seems to me that the USA consider anything thats not theirs as 'International territory' as long as they can have their say. (read: total American world domination).
                        Wonder how long it's gonna take before they claim a piece of space and forbid ESA or Russia to launch rockets through 'their' space.

I think USA should back the f*** off and give Canada some slack. I see no other point than financial that USA should even care.......

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                          Canada is just pissed with the US in general right now. If they'd get their heads out of their asses about softwood lumber and admit that not everyone who doesn't support their war is a bad guy, we'd feel better.
                          You get no argument from me. While the U.S. is keeping Canadian lumber out the U.S., companies are raising prices due to "shortages" from the heavy hurricane season. Of course it seems that, because the tarrifs don't apply to them, New Brunswick and other maritime provinces went for the money instead of suppporting the 15,000 people in the west who lost jobs.
                          Not everybody who doesn't support the war is a bad guy. There, I said it. I don't support it either.

p.s. Fonz, please rein in your countryman.
                          Last edited by Ignatz; 28th January 2006, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
                            p.s. Fonz, please rein in your countryman.
                            Why? His frequent displays of cluelessness are amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
                              Not everybody who doesn't support the war is a bad guy. There, I said it. I don't support it either.
                              When I say "they", it's a euphemism for King George the Clueless.

Comment

Working...
                              X