X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Joy In Mudville

The mighty Casey has struck out. Too bad Mexico doesn't get anything out of it. Of course that is one of the reasons the MLB season is 162 games and not just one.

Originally posted by Ignatz
    The mighty Casey has struck out. Too bad Mexico doesn't get anything out of it. Of course that is one of the reasons the MLB season is 162 games and not just one.
    The tournament format did kind of emphasize the "on any given day" concept. I liked it, hope it continues...Next time though, the DHS needs to put the Canadian bus through a 3-4 day secondary inspection at the border.

Comment

Whoo hooo!

Anything can happen on any given day! Cuba against the Dominican Republic, Korea against Japan. Korea against Japan that should be a sight to see. The USA is out!? My deepest condoleances to the USA who claim that they play the "World Series" but on a real "World" tournament gets struck out. Will this be the end of a Era and the start of a new one?
      No joy in Mudville indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fonsz
        Anything can happen on any given day! Cuba against the Dominican Republic, Korea against Japan. Korea against Japan that should be a sight to see. The USA is out!? My deepest condoleances to the USA who claim that they play the "World Series" but on a real "World" tournament gets struck out. Will this be the end of a Era and the start of a new one?
        No joy in Mudville indeed.
        I don't see why Korea has to play Japan AGAIN. They (Japan) already lost twice.
        Did anyone get Ichiro's comment before their first game? Arrogance leads to lost. Korea is one of the most humble team.

Comment

True but US should have lost to Japan. That umpire made a bad call that came and another horrible call against Mexico. I'm glad mexico play for pride and won the game. BUt I got to give it up to the Korean team. They are playing, base running, fielding better than anyone out there. If they lose to Japan in the semi -finals it would be a shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendo-Militia
            True but US should have lost to Japan. That umpire made a bad call that came and another horrible call against Mexico. I'm glad mexico play for pride and won the game. BUt I got to give it up to the Korean team. They are playing, base running, fielding better than anyone out there. If they lose to Japan in the semi -finals it would be a shocker.
            Can't debate the call because I haven't seen the replay but I remember one of my first tournaments where I lost on an "air kote" in second encho. I said to my sensei "That wasn't kote" he said "Yes it was, the flags went up"
            the Koreans are definitely playing their hearts out and a hat trick would be good for them.

Comment

Can't debate the call because I haven't seen the replay but I remember one of my first tournaments where I lost on an "air kote" in second encho. I said to my sensei "That wasn't kote" he said "Yes it was, the flags went up"
              the Koreans are definitely playing their hearts out and a hat trick would be good for them.

Valenzuela from Mexico hit a ball out to right field. The ball hit the foul pole way above the wall. The umpire calle dthe ball a ground ruled double. He claims the ball hit the padding on the wall.

When the US manager was asked what he thought, he said," The ball hit somehting hard."

I see what your saying about the call though. Sh*t happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendo-Militia
                Valenzuela from Mexico hit a ball out to right field. The ball hit the foul pole way above the wall. The umpire calle dthe ball a ground ruled double. He claims the ball hit the padding on the wall.

When the US manager was asked what he thought, he said," The ball hit somehting hard."

I see what your saying about the call though. Sh*t happens.
                Isn't baseball's umpiring the same as football (soccer)? Meaning, they are based on judgment and not video? Even if it's a bad call, what can you say if the referee really believes his call was right?

Comment

Nothing

Originally posted by mistabushido
                  Isn't baseball's umpiring the same as football (soccer)? Meaning, they are based on judgment and not video? Even if it's a bad call, what can you say if the referee really believes his call was right?
                  An air men is also an ippon because the flags go up even if you're certain it was not. I think the same principle applies here.

Comment

I can't believe Japan won! That's so lame. How is it that a team with a 4-3 record goes to the finals? Dumb America made the classics rule so stupid.

Comment

I can't believe Japan won! That's so lame. How is it that a team with a 4-3 record goes to the finals? Dumb America made the classics rule so stupid.
                      Now, now, let's not be a sore loser. Mind you, this result makes the nationalistic fervour we've been seeing in the Korean press for the last few days pretty amusing. Looks like Ichiro got the last laugh!

Comment

Dumb America made the classics rule so stupid.
                        How about the rules for Kendo Nationals? Is one match the best way to decide National Championships? In MLB the season is 162 games, then playoffs, then world series. Would it be feasable to have two kendo leagues in the U.S. and play a series of matches so you would have to win more than just once and there would not be any question about judges being bad etc. Plus more kendo and more fun. Of course more expense too, but we all know kendo is an expensive hobby. In some tournaments there is first a round robin to determine which teams move up to the single elimination part. That is always more fun too.

Comment

How about the rules for Kendo Nationals? Is one match the best way to decide National Championships? In MLB the season is 162 games, then playoffs, then world series. Would it be feasable to have two kendo leagues in the U.S. and play a series of matches so you would have to win more than just once and there would not be any question about judges being bad etc. Plus more kendo and more fun. Of course more expense too, but we all know kendo is an expensive hobby. In some tournaments there is first a round robin to determine which teams move up to the single elimination part. That is always more fun too.
                          Japan lost half of it's games and went up to the semi finals. That is a moronic rule. At least in kendo, if you win, you go up. You lose, you fall. One match is not enough to determine that a team is better, but part of the competition is luck. Korea is a lot worse team than Japan in baseball, but they beat them twice. Japan lost three out of six games, two of which was to Korea, so why should they be in the semis against Korea? Ovbiously Korea would run out of luck by the third game! I don't think any international sports games allow a team to reach the semis if they've lost half of their games. Why? Because 50% lost ratio should make it ovbious you're not top four in the world.

Now, now, let's not be a sore loser. Mind you, this result makes the nationalistic fervour we've been seeing in the Korean press for the last few days pretty amusing. Looks like Ichiro got the last laugh!
                          I'm not being a sore loser, I'm saying the rules are moronic. I complained BEFORE the match took place. It does piss me off that Ichiro gets to go to the championships after making so asshole remarks, abadoning his team after the second Korea lost, and making stupid comments after the game. He said that "It's ovbious that Japan should win [cause Korea sucks]." If that's the case, why'd you lose twice?

Comment

it sucks that korea lost when they won all the games until that last one. but that's how the things went. the format sucked, but always have to play by the rule. can't cry about it now. if there is another world baseball classic next year, they should have better format.

pete

Comment

Korea is one of the most humble team.
                              Is that why their player thew the ball in front of Ichiro as he walked to the dugout? Is that why they intentionally hit two Japanese batters? Is that why they planted Korean flags on the pitcher's mound and paraded around the stadium like they just won the world series?

The Korean team played great. They have strong pitching and played without error in every game. They have much to be proud of. It's a team of individuals, and while some are probably humble, some are also not. What Ichiro said wasn't the smartest thing, but it's also been taken out of context and twisted by Koreans to be a direct attack on them when it was a broader statement.

Their fans however have some things to learn about cheering for a sports team, and not getting carried away with nationalist pride. Did you go to any of the games mistabushido? I was at two of their games, and at both they were quite rude and belligerent. They clapped in our faces, yelled insults in Korean and English, and purposefully stood in places to try and block our view. One motioned as if hitting my wife in the head with a ThunderStix when he thought we weren't looking, I asked him what he was doing and he left, to reappear seated at the other end of his group later.

I know plenty of Japanese people, and plenty of Korean people. There is one thing true about all of them - they are people.

Comment

Working...
                              X