No announcement yet.

Dear GOD!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.artsofthesamurai.net/senseiben.html I love it he started in 2002 and is now teaching LOL

Comment

OK. I have seen tons of these threads where everybody does their nyuck, nyuck, nyuck, look at these silly people, they are so bad.
      I'm going to be a bit of devils advocate and ask, what exactly does it matter that these people or others like them do what ever it is that they do? How is it any skin off your teeth? I'm not saying that they are "legit" but who cares? Are your arts so pure and true and so efficient in killing that the mere existence of these people is an insult?
      At least they are not ninjers.

Comment

Just nyuck nyucks...though I'd say that in this case, for me anyway, it's a matter of them claiming to be teaching kendo (with belts, bokuto, etc...).

If someone is teaching actual kendo, and just posting cheesy pictures posing in the gear, then it's just for laughs.

Comment

I'm not saying that they are "legit" but who cares?
          Hey John,
          Had a discussion with their instructor on-line a couple years ago. At the time he said that they had no real experience with Japanese swords, and no one out there to teach them. But, with all of the Kill Bill and Last Samurai excitement, they had most of their students clamoring to start learning the sword. So, he made some stuff up and was having them do it. Now, at the time I wasn't bothered by it. The instructor I was talking with had quite a number of years of karate instruction, and he assured me they were only practicing with bokken. I urged him to import an instructor for periodic seminars so they could actually learn something, but that was apparently ignored.

Now, as I just looked at their web site, I see that April 15 was "tater cuttin class". And all yellow belts and up, their first cut has to be from the draw. Now I'm hoping like hell that they are cutting potatoes because they are using iaito. Otherwise, that is a horrible accident just waiting to happen. If they really are using sharp swords, and one of their kids manages to drop their left hand on the ground because they don't know how to draw and cut properly, or loses their sword and it impales one of the audience because they don't know where the danger zones are, then we all stand to lose. The media would have a field day about "unsafe Japanese sword schools" even though they have no interaction with any instructor. This is what makes me nervous about these places. If they are actually using iaito, there's still a chance of someone getting impaled. However, the odds of tragedy are lower.

So, I really don't approve of anyone teaching sword without having proper instruction. It has the potential to have a very negative backlash on me. Gotta say that I've never cared for a lot of the "piling on" that tends to go with these sort of posts though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
            I'm going to be a bit of devils advocate and ask, what exactly does it matter that these people or others like them do what ever it is that they do?
            It's not the specifics of what they do that bugs me. It's the misrepresentation of what they do as something else. If they called their class "Japanese-style swordsmanship" and described it as "learning to use wooden swords in a curriculum designed by our karate instructor", I would be completely fine with it. But nooooo, they always have to imply that they are teaching something they are not. Which reflects badly on all of us.

Comment

I understand the feeling and admit that it kind of bugs me too. Paul makes a very good point, it is dangerous. So is there anything we, as allegedly responsible people, can do outside of making fun of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Kitten
                Kitten,

If you do a search on this forum for "Toni McSorley," you'll see that this club has actually already been discussed before...

Comment

see this thread here:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sho...light=mcsorley

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
                    I understand the feeling and admit that it kind of bugs me too. Paul makes a very good point, it is dangerous. So is there anything we, as allegedly responsible people, can do outside of making fun of them?
                    There are several things that we can do other than just making fun of the website.

1. Make sure that we spread the fact that REAL kendo exists and there is no substitute for it. That is done by giving demonstrations, talking about it in daily conversation and making webpages and giving links for it detailing what it is and where people can go for practice.

2. This one may or may not be considered rude, but it depends on how you go about it. You could go to the dojo and see the practice for yourself. Act like you are interested, but don't give any indication that you are planning to join. If the question of experience comes up, then you can tell them. This could go any number of ways though, but I wouldn't walk in with your chest poked our or anything.

#2 may not invoke anything, so you could always introduce yourself saying, "My name is _______ and I train with the ______ dojo in _____ and I hear you do Kendo here. Is it alright if I sit in for a class and train with you guys next time provided I have time to do so?"

Of course, #2 might be considered rude, but it's just an idea I came up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Michiyo Akimoto
                      (snip)

Yeeeehaaaw! Tha' 2005 Southeastern Regional Open Tournament Endins!!:
                      On the year of our lawd, September 10th, the Arts of the Hillbilly Samurai be hostin the 2005 Southeastern Regional Open up in here in Lil 'Ol Knoxville, Tennessee!!!
                      Arts of the Redneck Samurai students be receivin' numerous medals and trophies and whutnot.

Congratulations and a slap on the knee to all them participating students -- we all look forward to seeing ya'll agin next year!
                      We'd also like to give a big hoot n' hollar to all ya'll who done helped with settin up and taking down the tournament and such, and as well all ya'lls kinfolk who be helpin durin the event.

(end snip)

lmao!

Comment

I think in cases like this, there's not much that can be done.
                        As with all M/A, students can be fiercely loyal to their school and sensei, almost fanatical you might say, and miss the facts surrounding their own schooling.

One of the greatest things to come around recently has been mixed MA competitions.
                        Not to say at all that they are the "end all be all", but since they are geared towards real combat sports, in a live setting, with real reputations (and bodies) at stake, their popularity has tended to put into perspective (and question) the differences between what some call "Dojo-do" styles VS what works when confronted on the street.
                        A lot of good work has been done recently on the subject by military and law enforcement, as well as private consultants.
                        You might say that "street tactics is emerging as the latest trend (with it's own share of fakers as well)
                        Still, even with that, there will still be some people who are fooled by these charlatans, and while it may burn us up to see it happen, the only real solution I think is that the student themselves will eventually come around and see the dojo for what it is.
                        At the very least, they are getting some exposure, no matter how diluted, to other cultures, and this perhaps will lead them to seek the real thing.

Comment

two words for that dojo...homo sexual (the one this post was about)

Comment

Originally posted by kendonoobie
                            two words for that dojo...homo sexual (the one this post was about)
                            Kid, you are probably the only one in this forum who has less experience than Michiyo Akimoto so perhaps you should concern yourself more with actually getting to the DFW dojo.

Comment

*shakes head in dissapointed manner* all i can say is that i hope no one dies. Is it just a bad picture or does her sword look wierd to anybody else, as well as her being stoned?

Comment

Let me qualify this:
                                On Kendo, you are right, as previously mentioned, I know almost zero.
                                On the subject other Martial Arts, I have a lifetime of experience to draw upon.
                                I've been in more real fights that a word-twisting crusted old wanna-be-tough guy like yourself can ever dream of.
                                Let the kid say what he wants, and keep your comments to the things you know best, like insults, Kendo, and dealing with the low-life scum that a career of defending has smeared off onto yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X