Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the wierdest thing that's stopped your practice?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the wierdest thing that's stopped your practice?

Now sitting at home after beign turned away from the dojo because a hot air balloon was blocking it and there were high voltage power cables in random places on the floor I was just wondering:
    What's the wierdest thing that's ever held up/ stopped your kendo/iaido session?
    Can't wait to hear the stories

A few months ago, we had to shut shop and leave because the bellydancing club turned up and said they'd reserved the room before we had. It's very difficult to argue with pretty women, especially from behind a metal grill.

Comment

Mice

Our training was once stopped by mice. Sounds like the Hitch Hiker's Guide I know, but true. We had to stay out of the bulding because poison had been put down in a cupboard somewhere by the council. I told them we didn't do Kendo in the cupboard, but rules are rules... No humans allowed in building for 2 weeks. I was worried this would take down our Kudos in the Budo community at the time. (Kendo stopped by Mice... eek! eek!)

Comment

Exams stop us from training in the gym at the university, so for a few weeks we train in the squash courts. Not only does it get LOUD in there, its really easy to run into the walls. Horrid in summer...

Comment

Once a bat got in, and we had to stop practice in order to catch it and usher it out. We didn't want to accidentally hit it as it flew by...

Comment

bloke hyperventilating... that was interesting enough until we realised he'd inhaled a wasp

Comment

Hmmnnnn...getting my car nailed by a truck turning into my dojo(my fault)...

The best part was next training when my dojomates were all buzzing about the BMW Z3 that got nailed outside last training and then someone saying, "I'd hate to be the poor sap who owned that car!" and then I went..."Uh...that would be me..."

Comment

First time I did haya-suburi... Holy crap... Had to go get water and catch my breath and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hyuna
                  Once a bat got in, and we had to stop practice in order to catch it and usher it out. We didn't want to accidentally hit it as it flew by...
                  There is a trick to bats. Use a broom to get it flying. Let it fly past you, turn around smack it from behind to stun it and carry it out. You can't hit it head on, it has radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
                    There is a trick to bats. Use a broom to get it flying. Let it fly past you, turn around smack it from behind to stun it and carry it out. You can't hit it head on, it has radar.
                    Was it a bat or a flying fox because the latter tastes pretty good...

Comment

two weeks ago, i showed up for wed. night practice and found our kendo group watching bunch of people doing ginga for capoeira. seems like there was schedule confilict at the university.

we spoke to what seems like their leader, and agreed to share the space. but i just couldn't keep the music out of my head.

pete

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
                        Good to know!

We didn't want to hurt it, so we weren't trying to hit it at all. It kept flying in big lazy circles around the room, so we were waving around coats and whatnot trying to steer the little critter out the door. Eventually it got tired and then we just carried it out, though.

Comment

Living in amazing Thailand I've got a couple to share:

1) Blackout ... it was a closed dojo, it turned pitch black so we really couldnt hit each other, as one could've guessed. Except for one bugger who had a field day running around tsuki-ing everyone lol still haven't found out who it was til this day, although we suspect it was our beloved sensei lol (he's a playful bloke)

2) Conflict with swim meet, of all things. They said they reserved the dojo a year in advance, and needed the gym for 'resting area' of athletes ... we were obviously not amused. The worst bit was we had THREE hachi-dan visiting from Japan that very day. We were forced to practise in the outdoor gym (remember 30C Thai weather) T'was an embarassing day for Thailand Kendo, however we made it up the day after.

3) Our gym flooded. Very rainy day + air-conditioner broke down letting flow some more water to the floor. Needless to say we decided against a water kendo session, although I would've liked to try it seemed pretty fun ...

Comment

We've gotten bats and even squirells out of our house in the past by throwing a big blanket over the creature like a net, bunching it up in a ball, and then quickly bringing it outside before the pissed off thing finds a way out and wants revenge. Works like a cozy little net. Wouldn't recommend it for adult squirells but works great for the children.

Comment

Sigh...whatever happened to using a trusty old tennis racket?...

Comment

Working...
                              X