Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beijing dojos?

Hey everyone,

Anyone been to/know of any dojos in Beijing? I know Beijing Kendo Club, which is the only one that competes outside of China. It seems to have a large number of members and good facilities.

Also, does anyone if China is planning on getting themselves affiliated with the IKF anytime soon? I ask because they seem to be competing a fair bit now at Asian competitions with Beijing and Shanghai-based teams.

Re: Beijing dojos?

Originally posted by IRJ
    Also, does anyone if China is planning on getting themselves affiliated with the IKF anytime soon?
    At the WKC I got the chance to have a chat with Mr Godi from Switzerland, founder of the Beijing Kendo Club.

Seems to me that although the Mainland Chinese team needs to get recognition from the IKF, All Japan is not helping much, and neither is the Chinese government. That is probably due to historical/political reason which no one bothers to deal with...

They don't have a lot of seniors, but they have visiting sensei, and they also have some practice in local Japanese schools.

Besides the Beijing one, there are dojo in Shanghi and Wenzhou. Tho their teams are made out of Japanese residents mainly. The Beijing one has a larger Chinese presence.

P.S. I haven't been there yet. That's all I know for the moment.

Comment

I didn't realise that Mr. Godi was actually the founder, I thought he was just a member. Unfortunately my browser has trouble with their webpage for some reason, the chinese characters come out half wrong. I should start some correspondence with him as I'm moving to Beijing in September. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Ive practised at Beijing and it was great. It was hot and there were no showers..... apart from the Renmin Uni dojo there is another, which is ran out of a japanese school..... no non-japanese though. anyway, check out the formers website [if you can] : "http://www.kendobeijing.com/"

my info could be out of date... and i am tired, so who knows. anyway, dont give up kendo cos you are in Beijing!!!! and keep membership to your current renmei.... as - as far as i know - the beijing dojo isnt a member of any renmei.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMcCall
          Ive practised at Beijing and it was great. It was hot and there were no showers..... apart from the Renmin Uni dojo there is another, which is ran out of a japanese school..... no non-japanese though. anyway, check out the formers website [if you can] : "http://www.kendobeijing.com/"

my info could be out of date... and i am tired, so who knows. anyway, dont give up kendo cos you are in Beijing!!!! and keep membership to your current renmei.... as - as far as i know - the beijing dojo isnt a member of any renmei.

good luck
          Hi McCall,

Did you practice at Renmin then, or KendoBeijing? I've heard of the latter and was planning to do practice there three times a week, with an additional practice on Sundays at the Japanese school.

Renmin university is much closer to me though, so I'd be interested in practising with them if you could get me any contact info for them. I don't speak any Japanese by the way.

Comment

Their site has a big forum where you can ask any question (in Chinese GB code that is).

I presume you know Chinese... but if not and you have any problem posting there, I can ask on your behalf. Drop me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IRJ

Did you practice at Renmin then, or KendoBeijing? I've heard of the latter and was planning to do practice there three times a week, with an additional practice on Sundays at the Japanese school.
              Renmin + KendoBeijing are the same. Mingshi will sort you out by the looks of things!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMcCall
                Renmin + KendoBeijing are the same. Mingshi will sort you out by the looks of things!
                Ah, It all becomes so clear now!

Thanks for the help to the both of you!

Comment

Sorry, got another question!

I checked their website and it says the practices are at Beijing Normal university stadium, not Renmin university. Is this correct, or outdated?

Comment

AFAIK their site is updated very regularly.

There are a few email addresses on their front page. Why don't you ask them directly?

Comment

Working...
                    X