X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hakama Spotting?

OK, non-martial art use of hakama, anyone...?

I'll start:

Kate Bush - Running up that Hill

Wiki states a number of Japanese influences such as taiko and noh, so I will assume she's wearing hakama for the music video...

Anyone else spotted our favourite legwear other than in the dojo?

Jean-Jacques Burnell whilst in the Stranglers sometimes wore one on stage - can't recall where when I saw him wearing it but it looked very odd.

Lee

PS I was tempted to put the last time I saw somebody who does not do martial arts wearing one was the last time I saw you in one but I resisted the temptation. well almost.

Comment

I SO look forward to a day of kenjutsu with you.

Comment

When I read your title about Hakama spotting I was going to recommend several wide spectrum antibiotics that would probably clear that problem up.

Nevermind.

Comment

"When I read your title about Hakama spotting I was going to recommend several wide spectrum antibiotics that would probably clear that problem up."

Also my first thought oddly enough. Do these count?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/ugotthelo.../mc_hammer.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
            Anyone else spotted our favourite legwear other than in the dojo?
            Cosplayers, of course. For some definitions of "hakama" and "wear." I'll spare you the image links. Half of these folks can't even lap kimono correctly.

Comment

No no no - post links...

Comment

No no no - post links...
                Have fun clicking.

Comment

Ah, the easy way out...

Comment

Ah, the easy way out...
                    Yeah, sorry. I'm about to head out the door for what will be a particularly crappy day at work and I don't have time (or the stomach) to find particularly bad examples.

I will say the costume atrocities look better in person when you can see 'em in action. One might plug "Kenshin" and "cosplay" into YouTube and see what comes up . . .

Comment

There was of course the Bruce Lee film where all the Japanese wore their hakama back-to-front. Forget which film it was.

Mike

Comment

Bleh cosplayers. I don't know if it's just me but I some how look at them as being 'not all there'. Can't really say I have encountered out-of-place hakama's. Do they normally wear socks with those?
                        Lol back-to-front hakama....Bruce Lee kicked them so hard their torso spun around. I wonder how it feels to wear it backwards. I'd probably hear about it from my master if i did that

Comment

You have a master? Cool...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            There was of course the Bruce Lee film where all the Japanese wore their hakama back-to-front. Forget which film it was.

Mike
                            Only a real muppet would do that, pity they didn't have nice helpful sempai to help them out............

Comment

I have a grand master

Comment

Working...
                              X