X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyaku -Kita Kyushu

In all an unbroken line of twelve generations of the Miyamoto family have lived in Kita Kyushu. Eleven in Kokura, the present generation living in Moji.
    From Hyaku's homepage

I was in staying with my girlfriend in Kita Kyushu some years back and got the opportunity to visit Kokura castle. I didn't realise the amount of history there was there!

Looking back at it now I think, "Jesus! I could have been walking in the same spot the Musashi was..." Kinda feels tingly...

I especially liked the temple next to the castle...there was this old stone arch and my girlfriend and I spent ages trying to land a stone on the top. She was telling me that if your stone lands and rests on the top a wish will come true.

In the castle itself they had this bokuto which was supposed to be the one Musashi used to duel Sasaki Kojiro.

Hyaku, is this true? Is it really his bokuto?

Plus, the food was really good...heh, especially the pork ramen!

Hyaku, do you live in Kyushu?

I really liked the scenery in Kyushu. The train rides were nice. I loved how the landscape was dotted with patches of rice paddies, bamboo clumps plus the cityscape. If you added a water buffalo it would seem just like my mom's hometown in Kedah, Malaysia.

Plus, everyone was really patient with me, especially after saying, Nihongo Hanase Masen. The restaurant owner liked it when I said, Rikishi ni naritaides, gohan tsukute kudasai

Pity I wasn't learning Kendo at the time...

All in all Kyushu is beautiful.

Meng

Re: Hyaku -Kita Kyushu

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
    From Hyaku's homepage

In the castle itself they had this bokuto which was supposed to be the one Musashi used to duel Sasaki Kojiro.

Hyaku, is this true? Is it really his bokuto?

Nope. He threw it away. But then he made another for Hosokawa. They have that one in the house at Yatsushiro. Did you get a chance to go to Tamukeyama in Kokura?
    Plus, the food was really good...heh, especially the pork ramen!

Sure is. I put an egg in mine!
    Hyaku, do you live in Kyushu?

Yes Saga I travel as far a Usa (Oita) to practice
    Kedah, Malaysia.

I go to Perhentian Kecil Island (up in Teranganu) and over to Tioman. Usually stay the Concorde Hotel in KL so I can pop downstairs to Hard Rock Cafe for some live bands.

Funny you should mention the buffalo. Japanese will tell you thats exactly what it looked like here years ago.

Regards Hyaku

Comment

there is a sword in the Musashi museum that apparently is a replica of the sword used against Kojiro, its longer than the one you use, Hyaku!!! They also do replica tsuba for use as paperweights.
      Had a good trip up there, saw Trevor as well. That new dojo is superb, shame they are not going to use it this year for the Musashi compo.. however the best bit was watching the two tour guides dressed up as Musashi and Kojiro, they stage a mockup of the fight during which Kojiro interrupts and says "Musashi, you are not in the sun, you need to move over a bit" He moves, the act goes on...Regards, Tim

Comment

Did you get a chance to go to Tamukeyama in Kokura?
        Uh, Maybe...what's that?
        I think the moat around Kokura needs cleaning though. Oh, yeah the Yamaha guitar shop near Takashimaya was real cool, usually shopkeepers chase me out after I "try" a guitar for 2 hours but they were cool about it.

I didnt get to see much to do with kendo or history because I spent a lot of time drunk at pubs but it was still a great trip.

Sure is. I put an egg in mine!
        Ha! Ha! I put one in mine too but thought thecost was covered by the 500yen ticket I just bought. The shopkeeper was like "where are you going?"heh

Also on one of my little self adventure days I decided to travel from Oria Yahatanishiku to kokura. The ticket seller was real patient with my, "Nihongo hanase masen, how do I get to Kokura, Nani?" He told the cost and what line and I got aboard the first train that arrived. Unfortunately it was the express or something and the ticket inspector thought I was mad because I just sat there smiling after handing him a normal ticket. But after he found out I was a foreign yahoo he was laughing.

I go to Perhentian Kecil Island (up in Teranganu) and over to Tioman. Usually stay the Concorde Hotel in KL so I can pop downstairs to Hard Rock Cafe for some live bands.
        Heh, Tioman is real nice but Redang is much better. It's located on the same coastline but further up north. Good, fishing there though...

The Concorde is nice and I used to go to Hard Rock when I was younger...a couple of my friends used to work there. The current live band is real good.

How did you like the food in KL? Remember don't come to Malaysia for the touristy crap...come for the cheap food!

Have you tried Bak Kut Teh? It a sort of pork herbal soup...mmmm

Anyone else visiting Malaysia, don't worry about the dirty coffee shops...remember the dirtier the place the better the flavour (kinda like the great expresso coming from the machines whose filters never get changed).

Comment

I have been also been to Redang a lot. You can see it south of Perhentian. Went to Langkawi last spring. The group at Hard Rock then were terrible.

I dont catch the fish though. Just take photos of them.

Hyaku

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
            X