Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo in Montreal (Qc, CA)

Heya guys,

I think someone from Mcgill Kendo Club is visiting these forums, but I couldnt find who.

What is your impression of the club? I was thinking to come and sit at one of the practice sessions to see what is Kendo really like, (myself from Concordia, but we dont have a Kendo club there).

Is it a newbie friendly place? :P I am kinda intimidated by stick wielding people

Thanks, and P.S. I tried emailing to the addy on their webpage, but it has been a week and no response. Thats why I am bugging you here!

Thanks in advance.

Yeah.. sure you can come see us if you wish. We're not taking new students on at the moment (unless you have experience) because the semester has been started for awhile and because we already had to ask the gym to increase the maximum amount of students allowed (we got a whole bunch of people this semester). I'm not sure we could make much of an exception at this point (although I can always check with my sensei).

If you just wish to come see us that would be cool too though. We do a hard practice, are very serious about improving ourselves but we have a tendency to goof around to lighten the atmosphere at times (there are limits however). Our motto is "Happy Kendo".

You sent us an email? Strange... I can't find any that I did not answer recently... I'll send you a PM.

Comment

ya mcgill is good, come to mcgill!!

I think the atmosphere is very good in the dojo, and as goes as kendo level well we arent too bad.

Comment

You are welcome to visit the Montreal Kendo Club too. New kendoka are welcome anytime. If you are interested please go to our web site www.montrealkendoclub.com for more information or you can send me a message through this forum and I can give you directions etc.

BTW it is my understanding that Concordia does have a kendo club because they are registered in the CKF web site. I think they train out at Loyola Campus in NDG. If you do find some info about their club I would be interested to visit one evening.

Stan

Comment

I heard the Concordia kendo club is run by one of the ex-Shidokan people (dojo from before my time).

My impression is that they (Concordia) have really limited ressources (no bogu to speak of) and we don't see them at tourney's. I don't even remember receiving an email from them for a visit or anything like that (which we are willing to do).

You should probably check out one of the other dojo's in the city before commiting to that particular club.

Comment

UofM

Come to university of montreal!!! we have a new and nice dojo and cool facilities!!

Mcgill are all prick like ALex and Max!!!! joke...

where ever dojo you go, all three club will be good to you, at my opinion kendo club in mtl are all very close to each other and good to beginners.

respect to montreal kendo club

Comment

Hope no one minds I revive this old thread.

I'm a newbie too and would like to join a club soon. What are the contact info for the McGill and UdeM Kendo clubs?

I heard that McGill Kendo does not offer session during the summer, is that true? How about UdeM?

By the way, in general, how old are people when they first begin Kendo training? I know that in Japan, they start at a really young age since it's part of their physed classes, but what about average North American, or Canadian, people? Are they interested in Kendo when they are teens or when they are in the 20s, 30s? I turn 29 this year and really aim at being good at Kendo. Hope it's not "too late".

Comment

Originally posted by BlackNamba
                Hope no one minds I revive this old thread.

I'm a newbie too and would like to join a club soon. What are the contact info for the McGill and UdeM Kendo clubs?

I heard that McGill Kendo does not offer session during the summer, is that true? How about UdeM?

By the way, in general, how old are people when they first begin Kendo training? I know that in Japan, they start at a really young age since it's part of their physed classes, but what about average North American, or Canadian, people? Are they interested in Kendo when they are teens or when they are in the 20s, 30s? I turn 29 this year and really aim at being good at Kendo. Hope it's not "too late".
                Sorry to tell you that McGill won't be taking in any new students until September (i.e. the start of the next academic semester). I'm not sure about U de M. I think Montreal Kendo Club takes new people year-round.

The ages in our group vary: The youngest to start with us is 14 and the oldest is over 30. Our sensei started kendo in his late 20s-early 30s (after a lifetime of fencing at a high level) and eventually made Team Canada as a participant and later as a coach.

It depends what you mean by "good at kendo": If all you want to do is win tournaments then you won't like kendo (at McGill or elsewhere). Prepare to be humbled. If you really want to do proper kendo then that's entirely possible at any age.

If you have any other questions send me a PM or an email at mcgillkendo@yahoo.com .

Comment

Thanks for the reply Alex.

What I really meant by "good at kendo" is being competitive when practicing with people my age. If everyone your age is already head and shoulder above you in terms of skills, then perhaps it's less fun for you. That's the reason why I asked about the starting age.

My main goal is not winning tournaments (after all, you must be realistic), but if I have a mentality of competitiveness (but not only that of course) when practicing kendo, is that the wrong mindset?

Thanks.

Comment

If I were you I'd be concerned about being the best you can be. Where it fits in relative to the universe of kenshi is rather insignificant. This way, if it turns out you aren't a superstar you may nevertheless have a long and satisfying journey.

Comment

Working...
                    X