X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom kendo poll

how many guys practice kendo sans underpants?

i ask this because it seems that this is done in japan, but not elsewhere.

as a corrollary, is "freedom kendo" inherently more powerful than "restriction kendo"?

in my experience, once you taste freedom, you'll never go back.

r,
    ckl
    I do! It's great!
    32.62%
    Sometimes... when I run out of undies.
    6.03%
    Yech... that's uncivil!
    61.35%
    Last edited by cklin; 11th July 2002, 02:43 PM.

Well...........I did but............. I had a mishap with the inside leg seam of my hakama causing a rather serious injury. I now wear undergarments for support.

clin, if you had to sit on ice for a considerable time I am sure you would appreciate my problem. I do have kakari geiko/taiatari of another kind and I have to consider going back there too!

My University Kendo Dojo was right next to the pool. Swimwear, then after I finished teaching I used to dive in for a while.
    In August that sure was nice....

So I cant do your poll

Hyaku.

clin, who washes your hakama?

Comment

>
      > clin, who washes your hakama?
      >

Why, my manservant, of course.

(read: I wash it)

An observation: freedom kendo is no good when wearing polyester hakama.

Comment

"freedom kendo" is a nice term, did you fetch it from the top of your head?

Anyway, freedom kendo with brand new indigo dyed hakama may also not be a good idea

Comment

[QUOTE]alexpollijr- Anyway, freedom kendo with brand new indigo dyed hakama may also not be a good idea [QUOTE]

Yes...certainly adds new life to the term "Blue Balls".

Incidentally. do you know why they geld (cut balls off) race-horses?

Because when the horse runs too fast it is actually quite painfull when the potatoes bang against each other. The horse therefor, wont run as fast...this is no joke.

So I think the same could be said for kendo...so underwear/briefs are a better option than gelding.

Meng

Comment

Hey Meng,

Does that mean that race-horses should wear undies if they don't want to be gelded? :P

Comment

Actually, they should be given that option...have you ever seen a horse after the chop? pure trauma.

That is why I dont agree with racing horses...

Comment

alexpollijr wrote:

>"freedom kendo" is a nice term, did you fetch it from the top of
                >your head?

Yeah, I thought it was a catchy phrase... maybe I should copyright it...?

Have the folks who responded "Yech... it's uncivil!" ever tried freedom kendo? Maybe I should have added another poll answer: "Tried it but didn't like it."

While I brought up this question as a light-hearted point, I also wanted to use it as a subtle segue into a larger issue of imposing foreign cultural values on kendo (NOTICE I say "kendo" specifically and NOT Japanese culture). Why do people insist on wearing underwear when it's traditionally not done?

I've encountered a lot of immediate and strong resistance when I suggest freedom kendo to people playing in the States (esp, when people complain of discomfort from profuse sweating), and I can only surmise that this type of knee-jerk response is a result of a specific type of cultural inculcation here.

It makes me wonder what other things do we end up saying "Yech... that's uncivil!" to because of this type of unexamined bias?

Comment

"Why do people insist on wearing underwear when it's traditionally not done? " --cklin

well, as far as I concern, TRADITIONALLY hakama is worn by Japanese middle/upper class male. I suppose they had the nappie-style cloth to wrap around their lower wrist. Sweat? Don't blame Calvin Klein. Now what kind of "comfort" do you prefer?

btw, I voted "Yech..." to represent the minority female kendo population.

Comment

I started wearing underwear, but I stopped because it got *really* disgusting after a hard practice. Now I am underwear free when I practice and I *love* it. For one thing, it lets you disapate heat MUCH faster, and it's more comfortable.

The only complaint I have is that sometimes. . .ahem. . . my boys slam into my thigh and it hurts and sometimes when my opponent shoots for my songmok (kote) and misses and goes low. . . . yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi

btw, I voted "Yech..." to represent the minority female kendo population.
                      mingshi, that was cute, but when will you understand, we females are supposed to be serving TEA, not voting!

c

Comment

Thats why I had a problem. Good cotton hakamas are stiff. They get stiffer when wet. Whats wrong with fundoshi anyway?

Hyaku

Comment

Well, I said 'yech.." but in fact i don't mean it, you know. I've tried it, it's ok, but I still think that undies are ok too so I'll stick with them. Maybe it'll make me more spiritual.

Hyaku: this story of yours has made me look at the hakama's inner seam in a completely new and menacing way

Comment

Seriously, a visiting Japanese 8th dan told a group at a seminar that I attended (when he was asked the question) that males should wear underwear during kendo as a means of support and protection.
                            I noticed that he did, as have all the other senior sensei that I have trained with over the past decade, so I dispute the traditional bit.

Achilles wrote that his is "*really* disgusting after a hard practice" Mine too, for that reason I change to fresh pair and wash the ones that I wore for keiko!

Comment

Mingshi: Sorry for the confusion, but by "traditional" I meant "kendo tradition", not "Japanese tradition."

Kendoka: Not sure what to say to your observations, except that mine have been quite to the contrary.

I'll go ahead and question the hachidan's advice: honestly how much protection from an errant strike do a pair of tighty-whities give? If doubtful of the effectiveness of a tare, then why not go all the way and wear a cup?

Comment

Working...
                              X