• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter shinai

Khaaaaaaaaaa!

As some of you may know about me because you are the one who give me

advice.

I have another question for you all?

If I have a shoter what would be the disadvantage? and adcantage?

And would a 37 Shinai work for a 5' 7"-8" for me?

Is there a spacial kit for the care of shinai. and how much should I spent

my money on it.

Actually, the length of your shinai is determined by your age. Usually people under 18 can use any shinai they want and once they're 19yrs or older, they have to use size 39.

I've never really owned or used one of those shinai tools people sell on websites...maintaining your own shinai isn't really that tough and there are many online guides w/ pics to help you out. All u need is a file, sand paper, oil....voila! If you have those things in your home...no need to get a kit!

Comment

Originally posted by Andoy
      Actually, the length of your shinai is determined by your age. Usually people under 18 can use any shinai they want and once they're 19yrs or older, they have to use size 39.
      Correction, just because you're under 19 does NOT mean that you are welcome to use ANY length! Check this out.

http://www.vancouverkendoclub.com/pa...e-appendix.htm

hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for your reply

Comment

The longer your sword is, the farther away you can stay from your opponent and still hit them. Personally I would never want to give anyone a two inch advantage. Even my wife who is quite petite uses a 39 (womens weight) shinai with no problem. Use the 39 and get used to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tachi
            The longer your sword is, the farther away you can stay from your opponent and still hit them. Personally I would never want to give anyone a two inch advantage. Even my wife who is quite petite uses a 39 (womens weight) shinai with no problem. Use the 39 and get used to it!
            On the other hand, the shorter the sword, the closer you are to your opponent and its easier for you to land a nice quick hit. I saw a few japanese guys use 38s to "creep" up on the opponent and smack a quick one.

Comment

If you "creep" in an inch with a 38, you still have one inch less reach with your shinai, so nothing has changed except you are one inch closer to me...and you will get cut.

Comment

Theoretically, a shorter shinai will have a smaller arc and therefore come into contact with your target slightly quicker, although you do have to be slightly closer to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia
                  Theoretically, a shorter shinai will have a smaller arc and therefore come into contact with your target slightly quicker, although you do have to be slightly closer to it.
                  Yes, that makes sense about the arc...as a beginner myself, I was just recounting exactly what was told to me by Sensei. At high level Kendo you may try to experiment with such things, but as a beginner I still think it's best to keep it simple and use the standard shinai for your age and gender to build strength and basics. I think even if you want to use a 38 in the future, you won't regret the time spent with the 39 now.

Comment

Thank you for your advice everyone.

Comment

To answer your second question...

I've got both a shinai knife and the little key chain one... The knife is very usefull for when you first sand down the shinai. The indentations in the blade are great for taking of that little ridge. The little one is usefull for carrying around for on the spot repairs, since I don't like carrying a knife with me outside my home too much. The police round here don't like it..

Comment

Working...
                      X