X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• practice dummy

I have been all over the web in search of a striking dummy or pic's of one, to give me some ideas about buying or building one. If anyone has any idea where I might find one it would be greatly appreciated.

If you order a hard copy catalogue from any of the Japanese sites (Mori Budo, Koei/Eguchi, Nakanishi, etc), they usually have pics in them.

b

Comment

There is an interesting striking dummy in the shape of a man's head and Torso called BOB. You can find it at KarateDepot.com. It's a bit pricy at around $300, and it doesn't have arms (e.g., no kote strikes), but you can certainly do alot of other things. I'm giving some thought to getting one.

Comment

Though I should warn you - those metal-framed hitty dummies (uchikomidai) - are pretty expensive. Most that I've seen in catalogs or in stores go for several hundred dollars, well over what it costs for a dirt cheap set of bogu.

I just got the 2002 Moribudo catalog in the mail last week, and they have this neat uchikomidai which has not one, but two variable height positions to hold the shinai, and is designed for people practicing nidan-waza. Very pricey.

I'd say - either try making your own (it's not that hard - a friend of mine tried), or get a real human opponent as a dummy.

Comment

eddiez: "BOB" sounds like some contraption you can replicate by putting your men and do on a chair and hitting them....hardly worth the $300...

Comment

Olaf: You're probably right. I did try something similar to the chair thing...but it kept falling off and stuff. I figured I'd just offer the suggestion seeing that $300 smackers means different things to different people.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. I got a price from one supply place of $900. US. I'm going to try to make my own. If it come's out ok, I might post some pics for others to see.

Comment

There is an old thread over @ e-budo in which the discussion of uchikomidai comes up:...Are there not a couple images of kids striking an uchikomidai in Ozawa's kendo book? (I can't remember and do not have access to the book at the moment).

Comment

Take a look at

http://arizona-shinkendo.com/dotangiri.html

It's a do it yourself stand for developing strength for overhead cuts in tamishigiri. The design sounds bombproof, especially when you consider that the guys says you should use a subrito because bokken are too light!

If you make it, let me know what you think, because I am thinking about doing it myself (if I can figure out where to put so the wife doesn't freak out).

Comment

uchikomi dai

Hi there

Friends from a Dojo not so far from outs have a home made uchikomi dai; they made the frame of sturdy but cheap wood, got some really really worn out set of bogu on it and voila. It's very good I think. much better than going off for 400 bucks or so.

The wooden structure is basically a 4-piece base, a pole about the size of a japanese guy (i.e 1,65m), a prong which is the right arm and a rectangular piece on the 'head'.

Comment

The trick is, I think, to design a base that's sturdy enough without having to use too many spreading supports, so you can cut and follow through (a little).

The tameshigiri stand that Lewis mentions above is meant for practising strikes with both feet firmly planted. Not really suitable for cuts with fumikomi.

b

Comment

if you go to Kendoshop.com you can order a hitting dummy for about $450 US + shipping/taxes etc..

Thats a lot of money! We here at our club have built our own dummy for about $200 Cdn. At the moment the only targets are Men, Tsuki, and Do...but hey it works, and we love it!

If anyone is interested, e-mail me (Quinlan@mathstat.dal.ca) and i'll assemble some details for you on how we built it. We've been meaning to put a section about it on our website. Anybody interested in that?

Steve.

Comment

The cheapest way is to strap your younger brother in bogu and wack at him! Ahh... my elementary school days, good times...

On a more serious note, one method is to use PVC piping. It is fairly strong, easy to cut, and has many joints so you can MacGyver a system up in no time at all.

Comment

Our club actually just made a hitting dummy with 6' wooden post, anchored in a cement patio block, which is attached to a flat platform that has wheels on the bottom. The men is a tire, the do (our instructor's old do) is attached to wooden 'shoulders' with a tire underneath so that it doesn't move around too much. We also have a tsuki made out of foam pucks that are bound with duct tape. It looks pretty cool and works very well.

Comment

kendo_chick:

I would be quite interested in hearing more about this striking dummy. It sounds like a neat-o idea.

Actually, i'm interested in finding out if anyone else has made similar forays into the world of kendou construction.

c

Comment

Working...
                              X