X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabi protection (not socks)

What is the deal with tabi protectors (not socks)? I have been getting horrendous blisters on my feet. One was so debilitating I had to have a doctor lance it as it had swelled with blood. I could not practice for 3 weeks. I would like to wear a protector, but I know tabi are reserved for the sensei and most senior students. Any suggestions or comments...my feet wont callous and it is hindering my ability to practice as well! Any suggestions or comments. What would a dojo or federation say?

Thanks for the input!

I've seen a couple people wear one at tournaments. I tried one out once when I had a bad, bad, BAD 3 inch long skin rip beneath my toes. (weird situation that caused it).. anyway..

I tried it and I hated it. I thought the material on the bottom would be okay for giving a little traction, but it just didn't work for me. It wound up being very slippery (maybe it was just the floor we were working out on not jiving with the material on the protector)..

but aside from that, it was very comfortable to wear. If I have a problem with a blister on my toe, I lance it when I get home and treat it regularly and then before practice, I just tape it up.

Good luck.. I know that stuff hurts!

Comment

I have a tabi foot protector and run into problems with traction. The leather sole is fairly smooth, so you get a lot of slippage when doing fumikomi. Additionally, as they are "one size fits all", the tabi is a bit tight on my big toe and the webbing between it and the other. I use it more to prevent blisters, as in, when I get a hot spot and know it is going to develop into a nasty blister, I pop the tabi on to let it cool down. I have noticed that I favor my left foot when it is blistered, and it wrecks havok on my form, so I try to avoid blisters before they happen.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Roninn
      What is the deal with tabi protectors (not socks)? I have been getting horrendous blisters on my feet. One was so debilitating I had to have a doctor lance it as it had swelled with blood. I could not practice for 3 weeks. I would like to wear a protector, but I know tabi are reserved for the sensei and most senior students. Any suggestions or comments...my feet wont callous and it is hindering my ability to practice as well! Any suggestions or comments. What would a dojo or federation say?

Thanks for the input!

Comment

[QUOTE=Roninn] I would like to wear a protector, but I know tabi are reserved for the sensei and most senior students.QUOTE]

Are they really reserve for only sensei and senior students???

Why?? What is the reason for it??

I surely would like to know and I surely would like to have one.

It look so coollllll

Gotda get oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..

Comment

Originally posted by Roninn
          Any suggestions or comments...my feet wont callous and it is hindering my ability to practice as well! Any suggestions or comments. Thanks for the input!
          Walk around barefoot all the time. Outside, inside, everywhere you can. It helps to callous the feet a little bit. Every little bit helps, ne. I didn't have too many blisters when I started kendo because of me having the barefoot hobbit feet syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
            Walk around barefoot all the time. Outside, inside, everywhere you can. It helps to callous the feet a little bit. Every little bit helps, ne. I didn't have too many blisters when I started kendo because of me having the barefoot hobbit feet syndrome.
            Oww... I remember when I just started. Blisters all over the feet, and they wouldn't heal in time for the next class...

Comment

Working...
            X