X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philosophy in a Can

Ever hear a good saying, or a quote you liked, or some phrase which you live by?
    Post 'em here and let's discuss!

I'll start:

Even when exhausted he will bear a burden,
    not minding heat and cold, always going along content;
    these three things should be learned from the Donkey.

There's no such thing as a 'good' decision or a 'bad' decision. There are decisions, and there are consequences.

Comment

"Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the general population"

My translation: people are stupid, people are assholes. Know these two things.

Comment

The clever and the covetous are easy to deceive;
        intellect is veiled by craving.

My take:
        It's important to realize our own vulnerabilities when our desires may blind us to them.

Comment

Regardless of how I feel about Star Wars now, I've always liked "Do or do not, there is no try."

I like what it says about the mindset you should have when undertaking an action. Also, any number of excuses doesn't change the fact that you failed to succeed.

Comment

"Never fry bacon naked".

My other favourite saying or concept is what my father told me when I was a kid - basically, he was saying the right thing to do is not always the easiest, and the easiest thing to do is not always the right thing. I've always remembered that, but I think it means more to me now than back then.

Comment

When life gives you lemons, you punch it in the fucking eye.

Comment

If you ever find yourself making an excuse, stop and figure out what you did wrong. You'll never find one without the other.

If you don't like things the way they are, change them. If you don't want to change them, learn to like things the way they are.

Comment

"Age and Cunning will ALWAYS beat Youth and Skill."

My take: Yeah, my grandson practices his Star Wars video games 24/7/365... but nobody beats a grandpa with wild-ass fingers, an extra servin' of wild-ass luck, and a good eye.

Scoreboard: Obi-Wan: 3, Bad Anakin: ZERO.

Comment

Batman Begins: "It's not who I am underneath, but what I *do* that defines me."

Secondhand Lions: "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in."

Comment

For you MGS fans..

Otacon: (Chinese proverb): "Those who look to the Heavens prosper, those who defy it are no more. " Do you know this one? The meaning here is - hold on a sec - that you can only survive as long as you're a part of the natural order of things. You remember pre-ripped jeans? Manufacturers thought that just because people loved old, broken-in jeans, they would want to buy new jeans that looked old. So they purposefully...

Solid Snake: What do jeans have to do with nature and order?

Comment

Here I sit, was reminded....

Oh, wait, you said IN a can, not ON the can....

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
                          Secondhand Lions: "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in."
                          Damn, I gotta see this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                            Damn, I gotta see this movie.
                            Hey, sorry for the can of worms that's about to follow....

When I had that as my sig quote when I was working at my previous job, some manager actually wrote me back and chewed me out because "Christians believe not just because they want to believe in something worthwhile, but because they believe the Bible is true."

I should have reported her to HR. I was able to find the online review that she lifted her words from a couple of years back. I couldn't believe people actually rated this movie negatively. Below link was the closest I can find now, which isn't half as negative as the review I saw from some christian website years ago.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/mov...handlions.html

Comment

I prefer bottles.

Comment

Working...
                              X