X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenegui

Hi! I have a question about yours tenegui. Everyone have something written there. Some have japanese sayings and others have just 'kendo'. I would like to know what do you have written on yours?

mine has kendo written in kanji on the bottom right, and in big it says seishinkan in kanji, which is the name of my dojo. then it has some weird circly patterns around the edges

Comment

I have all sorts of inscriptions I've collected over the years...my current favourite is mushin - 'empty/no mind'... nicest looking one is a coloured one from the Kyoto taikai with trees and the dojo on it. I have three hand written ones from my teacher, they are really nice as well.... I also have the last tenugui produced before the BKA became a breakaway organisation from the BKR! oooh, a political one!!!

Comment

I asked becouse I want to make a new tenegui for me. My old one with big kendo in kanji is in rather bad condiction. I'm not good in japanese and I dont know any japanese saying so maybe you will advice me what to write?

I thought about 'the sword is the soul of a samurai' but i dont know how to write it in japanese.

Comment

My favorite tenugui is simple. It was from the first Taikai I ever watched and it was a gift to me, the foreigner, so I would remember that day. It is bright orange, stands out a bit but it's still a cool color, and it has the kanji for 'believe' on it. I like that thought, and it was the first I got.

Comment

My first tenegui was from my senior, it was a pretty purple with Team Victoria written on it and a logo. My second and third tenegui are written in Kanji, 'The heart of sword' and 'Single sword battle'. I have received some tenegui from my previous Taikai, will keep them as collections until needed....

Comment

Originally posted by akacz
              I asked becouse I want to make a new tenegui for me. My old one with big kendo in kanji is in rather bad condiction. I'm not good in japanese and I dont know any japanese saying so maybe you will advice me what to write?

I thought about 'the sword is the soul of a samurai' but i dont know how to write it in japanese.
              well if u want anything done in kanji, you can just ask me and ill send u a picture of the word in kanji, but 'the sword is the soul of a samurai' is a BIT too long, and also coz its a full sentence it'll have kanji AND japanese to fill in the small words... and having japanese on your tenugui, i dont think looks good, its too simple... so i'd stick to something like, soul of a samurai or something... btw for more contact my email is mystical_psykick@hotmail.com you can email or add me on msn...

Comment

I don't think that haveing japanese on tenegui is too simple. From my point of view, and from what i've learned, kendo is in its special way simple too

Well, I thought of kanji becouse i'm not good in drawing or painting but i'll manage to write some japanese.(As i did with my previous one). I don't know what to choose. If you could advice me something I would be greatful. Maybe something connected with zen. I don't really know... Maybe 'free your mind' (the Matrix one...

If you have something interesting send it to me: akacz@poczta.fm

Comment

If you have something interesting send it to me: akacz@poczta.fm

Here is one!!

http://www.imakproducts.com/downloads/definition.pdf

We are using this design to make a tee shirt..... It is available for purchase until the end of November.... You can see the thread here:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1769

Or get the tee shirt order info here:

http://www.imakproducts.com/download...ku_Project.pdf

Comment

My favorite tenugui is one that Has written in kanji, 唯心一刀, "only one cut in mind (heart)." Sorry, i'm bad at translating. I like wearing that in shiais to keep myself focused before I put on the men. Other times I just wear whatever that is still clean in my bag. Just curious, how often do you guys wash your tenuguis? I wash mine after every use usually, since i have so many anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                      well if u want anything done in kanji, you can just ask me and ill send u a picture of the word in kanji, but 'the sword is the soul of a samurai' is a BIT too long, and also coz its a full sentence it'll have kanji AND japanese to fill in the small words... and having japanese on your tenugui, i dont think looks good, its too simple... so i'd stick to something like, soul of a samurai or something... btw for more contact my email is mystical_psykick@hotmail.com you can email or add me on msn...

it's not that hard....

sword is soul of samurai

刀は武士魂

free your mind is mushin

無心

Comment

Thanks. Can you also tell me how to spell 刀は武士魂 and yours 唯心一刀?

About washing my tenegui... Well I usualy take a shower after training so I wash my tenegui too. One day I forgot to take out it from men and I dont have my own men - its from my club. On the next training, it was two days later, when I smelt it it was horror

Comment

I'm sure that most of us will wash our tenegui right after one use. But does anyone here iron their tenegui?

Comment

Yes, I iron my tenegui. I do it every time I come back from training. I think that it looks better when you put your tenegui on men and its clean and ironed.

Comment

Thanks. Can you also tell me how to spell 刀は武士魂 and yours 唯心一刀?

About washing my tenegui... Well I usualy take a shower after training so I wash my tenegui too. One day I forgot to take out it from men and I dont have my own men - its from my club. On the next training, it was two days later, when I smelt it it was horror

I don't know what you mean by telling you how to spell it....

that's how you write them.

Comment

Working...
                              X