Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kendo club t-shirts: less cool in Japan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Lockhar
    started a topic kendo club t-shirts: less cool in Japan?

kendo club t-shirts: less cool in Japan?

So, as club president (ie. sensei's secretary), part of my job is to come up with a club t-shirt. We have a couple of logos that look pretty decent (homebrew from kids in the club), so I think I can generate something. But one of the kids was all enthusiastic about getting his t-shirt before he goes to Japan towards the end of the year.

And then I started wondering if wearing a kendo t-shirt with kanji and everything would be just as super-cool over in Japan as it is super-cool over here (I'm getting my shirt with a special pocket protector installed right into the pocket! Super-Cool!). Kind of like how mad prison skillz don't work so great on the "outside."

So that is the question, are our club t-shirts with our amateur kendo art and kanji going to set off doofus meters everywhere we go over there?

-Charles, Grand High Doofus

• nebosuke
    replied
    If anything you’ll get a pass on everything else about the shirt for being from Hawaii.

Leave a comment:

• Kenzan
    replied
    Take it from me, the Japanese won't be impressed by anything you wear, mainly because they tend to dress better than most of us unfashionable slobs anyway.
    They will however, be mildly amazed (for about 1.2 milliseconds) that a foreigner studies Kendo, and then they'll go back to whatever it is they were doing.

Leave a comment:

• Obukan_dude
    replied
    Gaijin are always going to look like doofuses in Japan, no matter what you do. You might as well wear http://www.clutchtees.com/Homer-Simp...r-Sparkle.html along with it.

By the way, why can't you edit links in text anymore?

Leave a comment:

• Anonymous
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Lockhar View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw a Japanese guy over in Waikiki who was wearing a shirt that said exactly that, in English.

His buddy was wearing a shirt that said "America: Graet Power" (spelled it just like that too).

-Charles
    I want those shirts.

Leave a comment:

• chidokan
    replied
    I am doing two versions for freshers week at the university open day for the MA clubs.
    Guy's one will say: " I have a three foot long weapon"
    Girls is: " I like playing with a three foot long weapon"

it should get a good response....

A few of us wore our Eikoku Roshukai t-shirts to the golden week taikai and popped out to a militaria fayre. We were jumped by one of the local Roshukai students who wouldnt believe we were staying with his sensei... until we turned up at his dojo that night! He helped us get a discount on a menpo for one of the lads the next day, so worth meeting him!

Leave a comment:

• Maku-san
    replied
    ko-kiii... ko-kiii... ko-kiii...

We actually have a bar in town now called the "Coqui's Hideaway." I was there just last night, and I can tell ya, the sound of the frogs is way better than the sound of the carry-oh-key.

-Charles
    Oh, those spawns of Frog-Satan!!! I'm glad industrial strength caffeine and citrus juice works to wipe out this foul pestilence.

I was talking about the karaoke, BTW....

Leave a comment:

• Maku-san
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
    It'd be fairly embarrassing to have your ass kicked by a gigantically naked smurf.

But the color fits though..
    I'm going to have to hack into this forum's software and get rid of that annoying "Must Spread Rep" horse-pucky!!!

Leave a comment:

• Charles Lockhar
    replied
    ...invasive tree-frog-shaped...
    ko-kiii... ko-kiii... ko-kiii...

We actually have a bar in town now called the "Coqui's Hideaway." I was there just last night, and I can tell ya, the sound of the frogs is way better than the sound of the carry-oh-key.

-Charles

Leave a comment:

• Kenzan
    replied
    ... so as not to offend or seem to be

-Charles
    Aw, nuts to that!
    I say, a big picture of a monstrous Pineapple going nuclear on an invasive tree-frog-shaped tourist is in order.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Lockhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Maaku-san View Post
    No, Kenzan-san. Charles-san could have put Madame Pele wielding a flaming shinai and setting her opponents' men on fire. But that wouldn't be pono (right) with the Hawaiians. They'd make Capt. Cook Specials out of the Hilo dojo.
    Yeah, but it's a double edged sword. I avoid putting Hawaiian themed stuff on anything, so as not to offend or seem to be taking on airs. But then I get criticized for not having anything Hawaiian worked into anything I do. What can I do?

-Charles

Leave a comment:

• Kenzan
    replied
    Maybe something like this, but holding shinai?

-Charles
    It'd be fairly embarrassing to have your ass kicked my a gigantically naked smurf.

But the color fits though..

Leave a comment:

• Charles Lockhar
    replied
    What, no flaming skulls with fangs dripping gore?
    Maybe something like this, but holding shinai?

-Charles

Leave a comment:

• sirius1906
    replied
    Well, the t-shirt will have this image on the front, upper left side:

front

back's gonna have a modified version of:

back

for the back, I'm having the kendo-kid who drew it replace the kanji with

kanji

and backing off the kendoka so that the shinai isn't touching the kanji.

-Charles
    Charles,

I sent an email to your scout3801 account.

Leave a comment:

• Kenzan
    replied
    Originally posted by Maaku-san View Post
    No, Kenzan-san. Charles-san could have put Madame Pele wielding a flaming shinai and setting her opponents' men on fire. But that wouldn't be pono (right) with the Hawaiians. They'd make Capt. Cook Specials out of the Hilo dojo.
    Mmm..Capt. Cook flaming specials...

I have that every time I visit one of my all time favorite restaurants.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X