X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do.....?

If you HAD to choose, wich would it be Iaido, or Kendo? Just woundering, and the reason behind this would be?

Huh???

Sorry I don't get the point of your question... why Kendo and Iai are the only choices??

mmm... If you HAD to choose, which would it be... Sushi, or Okonomiyaki?

Comment

My choice would be Kendo. Both are excellent forms of mental exercise and important forms of modern budo, but Kendo is an excellent form of physical exercise.

Scott

Comment

Sorry mingshi, those are the only two that i have choosen to present you with. But what you sugested does make me hungry!

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
          Huh???

Sorry I don't get the point of your question... why Kendo and Iai are the only choices??

mmm... If you HAD to choose, which would it be... Sushi, or Okonomiyaki?
          While chosing kendo over iaido is an easy choice (for me), sushi or okonomiyaki....hmmm ...erhh....I'll get back to you on that after dinner. (Goes looking for Abeno's phonenumber)

Jakob
          --
          www.hizen.org

Comment

Hands down....kendo! Same reason as Scott mentions in the above posting. Also, with Kendo, at least there are the kata forms which give some flavor of handling a real sword or bokken. Iaido doesn't really have a kendo-like counterpart.

Personally, I'm very interested in eventually studying Iaido, too. But my interest stems from getting involved in Kendo first. I'm a little intrigued by those Iaido practitioners who put so much time in their art but have no interest in Kendo. Daryl Craig in his book "Iaido-Way of the Sword" even referred to Iaido as getting all dressed up with no place to go.

Comment

Kendo, If I had to choose. That kind of one-on-one competition is difficult to find. Especially without the constant threat of major injury.

Comment

I think Kendo and Iaido are both really important.
                We'd better treat shinai as real sword, but it's really difficult sometimes.....
                My teacher said if we want to kwow the real tenouchi, we have to practice iaido, too.
                Kendo no Kata is also really important, but we cannot see how important it is until we start iaido....

just my thought....

Comment

We have the opportunity to learn Kendo and Iaido concurrently.

That said, I always end up making the time to get to Kendo class, but often miss Iaido. I do love both forms, but Kendo does have that immediate gratification of scoring a good cut, or that exhausted, yet exhliarated feeling you get after a couple of hours of good, hard keiko.

Comment

I second that deanoclark.

Sometimes I miss the early morning Iaido renshu in order to get the best out of the kendo renshu that comes right after.

So, my choice is also kendo, by far.

Comment

I wonder what the answer would be if the question was asked in the Iaido forum !?

Richard

Comment

Two wheels of a cart. And there are other wheels!

Hyaku

Comment

Very philosophic, aye.

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                            mmm... If you HAD to choose, which would it be... Sushi, or Okonomiyaki? [/B]
                            Both. But since the latter is more difficult to find, I may settle for just sushi...

Just tried making sushi last weekend for something like the 5th time...so incredibly hard. It's amazing how important a good fish knife is. Meat cleavers just don't cut it...

Comment

Im thrown off......whats sushi reprosent again??? Ill throw this over at the Iaido forum and see what goes there!

Comment

Working...
                              X