Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't you post?

Hi All,

I've been a KWF member for about 18 months, but have only posted a few times - mainly prefer to lurk in the backround and listen/learn. New to kendo, so don't really feel like I have that much useful to add without confusing myself, let alone others. I check in every couple of days, and see only a few members joined in, with a large number of guests (not that there's anything wrong with that). Looks like there is a large member base, but only a relative few posting (Nothing wrong with that either). I know a lot of people log in from work, maybe this has something to do with it?

So, I was wondering:
    If you do / don't post - why? / why not? Have your posting habits changed? If so, why? / why not? Could be interesting...

BTW - thanks for a great forum - get a lot out of it. Special thanks to those who have been doing this for a while, and are always ready to offer advice / support.

Cheers

I post when I feel I can add something to a thread or help someone with info. Once in a while I have a post with info I want to get out I will very occasionally post just because. I've been a member for 5 years and I am averaging .6 per day so obviously I don't post all the time. I have started several threads but mostly I just comment on one started by someone else.

Lately I have been thinking about starting a thread with a question I have been wondering about... but don't know if I will or not. lol

Comment

Hm... I just like to lurk.

Besides, I realize, if I have something to say, it's usually hardly important. Being new to kendo as well, I usually don't have anything constructive to say.

But, what I do notice about this forum, is when I make little comments, they're seen, and people reply to it. I've been to other forums where what I say is just skipped over and the topic moves on. For example, Twilightsucks... It has such a huge community, it's almost impossible for your post to be seen.

I like the community here. =D

Comment

i admit sometimes i'm scared to post because i'm scared i'm going to ask something that's already been asked and then i get everyone all pissed off.

And i also don't post because i know i don't have that much experience so i usually only post in the lounge section and stuff like that.

Comment

I post a lot because I get bored at work!

Comment

Same here.

Comment

I've been posting here more often here recently because things have been slowing down at work for the moment. The reason why I wouldn't post usually falls into the following reasons:

1) The thread doesn't interest me

2) The question being asked has already been answered...a million times over...

3) If I can't contribute anything meaningful to add to the discussion with more than 2 words. That is, short posts like "+/- rep", "I agree", or "you *&(#)" seems like a waste of time and bandwidth.

Comment

I post while waiting for data to download at work, or waiting for meetings, that sort of thing. I generally try not to give advice on how to do kendo as I dont have enough experience, but I love reading advice from others on the forum.

I do however, have plenty of experience in being an opinionated, uncoordinated, and obnoxious pain-in-the-rear, so I am happy to give advice in that area.

Comment

I like reading all the advice n stuff. It helped me at my practice today, actually. I went ahead and DIDNT use baby powder on my feet (one example.)

But, hey, Might as well post, look like an idiot, and get it fixed, right?
                  Er... maybe not.

Comment

The topics right now...

A: Why don't you post?
                    B: Well, you see... Weapon injuries.
                    A: Excuses, excuses!

Comment

Because the Iaido forum is full of people with Swords!

I post when I can input something - which isn't often.

Comment

Originally posted by TraversNZ View Post
                        Looks like there is a large member base, but only a relative few posting
                        I am not sure what you mean, quite often times the same person can view a particular thread 3 or more times a day, which is why there can be many "views" but relatively low number in responses. If you are wondering why the majority of the KW registered members aren't posting, it's because (in my theory) 30% or more simply don't do kendo any more. And a percentage of the member feel that internet kendo is a mute effort and doesn't benefit them instrinsically.

Originally posted by TraversNZ
                        If you do / don't post - why? / why not? Have your posting habits changed? If so, why? / why not?
                        I joined the forum several years back when i first started learning kendo. I posted a lot because. . .

a)I had a "strong" idea of what kendo should be like, and i guess in some ways my inferiority complex made me feel as if i have to prove something to the world.
                        b)dare i say, I genuinely found the discussion to be interesting and useful to me.
                        c)I was crazy for learning any and everything i can about kendo.

now, I refrain from commenting unless I want to help a particular person or further a valuable discussion. I don't post as much compare to before because. . .

a)most topics posted these days actually have very little to do with kendo,
                        b)i've come to dread posts that i once found as amusing, e.g. . .
                        1)Egotistical comments unnecessarily thrown against unsuspecting beginners.
                        2)senseless dry humor comments, that only he/she understands.
                        3)flame wars that run on for more than 2 days.
                        c)people mistaken privilege of opinion with self gratification.
                        d)a lot of comments made (now)are mere regurgitations of what one hears, and nothing wrong with that. It's just that when the commentator can not add any additional value or personal depth to the conversation. The purpose of an open discussion becomes quite blurred.
                        d)you can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make the horse drink.

having said all this, the KW forum and a few on here has served as paramount importance in my progress of kendo. I can only hope that the quality of its membership dilutes no further.
                        Last edited by Masahiro; 10th June 2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Great post, I agree with all of it.

Originally posted by Masahiro View Post
                          I am not sure what you mean, quite often times the same person can view a particular thread 3 or more times a day, which is why there can be many "views" but relatively low number in responses. If you are wondering why the majority of the KW registered members aren't posting, it's because (in my theory) 30% or more simply don't do kendo any more. And a percentage of the member feel that internet kendo is a mute effort and doesn't benefit them instrinsically.

I joined the forum several years back when i first started learning kendo. I posted a lot because. . .

a)I had a "strong" idea of what kendo should be like, and i guess in some ways my inferiority complex made me feel as if i have to prove something to the world.
                          b)dare i say, I genuinely found the discussion to be interesting and useful to me.
                          c)I was crazy for learning any and everything i can about kendo.

now, I refrain from commenting unless I want to help a particular person or further a valuable discussion. I don't post as much compare to before because. . .

a)most topics posted these days actually have very little to do with kendo,
                          b)i've come to dread posts that i once found as amusing, e.g. . .
                          1)Egotistical comments unnecessarily thrown against unsuspecting beginners.
                          2)senseless dry humor comments, that only he/she understands.
                          3)flame wars that run on for more than 2 days.
                          c)people mistaken privilege of opinion with self gratification.
                          d)a lot of comments made (now)are mere regurgitations of what one hears, and nothing wrong with that. It's just that when the commentator can not add any additional value or personal depth to the conversation. The purpose of an open discussion becomes quite blurred.
                          d)you can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make the horse drink.

having said all this, the KW forum and a few on here has served as paramount importance in my progress of kendo. I can only hope that the quality of its membership dilutes no further.

Comment

Originally posted by Masahiro View Post

"Talk to your sensei." and "See a doctor." both come to mind here.

Comment

I read the forums frequently but so far have never posted anything for much the reasons already mentioned here, having nothing useful to contribute being propably the most notable. But right now I'm at sitting at my desk at work at there's nothing useful to do here either, so... Hi all.

Comment

Working...
                              X