X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Masahiro View Post
    If you are wondering why the majority of the KW registered members aren't posting, it's because (in my theory) 30% or more simply don't do kendo any more.
    That may or may not be true, however in most forums the vast majority of members are lurkers.

For those who are scared to ask a question, I'm sorry that this place has become so intimidating. However as common netiquette, I suggest you simply do a search for the answer, and if you don't find anything ask away. I think if the question is sincere and coming from someone who practices or who wants to practice, it will get answered or referred to previous threads.

Comment

Originally posted by atgm View Post
      "Talk to your sensei." and "See a doctor." both come to mind here.
      These two phrases are bandied around too often by the experienced ones here....

If we only cared for info from our sensei, why do we bother to ask our question here in the first place?

If there is nothing else to add besides these words above, then don't add anything at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Of_Music View Post
        These two phrases are bandied around too often by the experienced ones here....
        Key word: experienced. Maybe you should listen?
        If we only cared for info from our sensei, why do we bother to ask our question here in the first place?
        In many cases, people feel too intimidated to ask their sensei/seniors. We try to encourage them to do so. In other cases, they are asking for information that is only appropriate to obtain from their sensei, or for technical advice that is really only possible in person.

As for the doctor thing: in every forum I've been on, people ask for medical or legal advice from other forum members. Sometimes it's a question we can answer (" have X pain, anyone experienced it before from kendo?"), but mostly they just need to see a professional. I frankly don't understand why people are so reluctant to consult their doctor or lawyer.
        Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 10th June 2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
          Key word: experienced. Maybe you should listen?
          In many cases, people feel too intimidated to ask their sensei/seniors. We try to encourage them to do so. In other cases, they are asking for information that is only appropriate to obtain from their sensei, or for technical advice that is really only possible in person.

As for the doctor thing: in every forum I've been on, people ask for medical or legal advice from other forum members. Sometimes it's a question we can answer (" have X pain, anyone experienced it before from kendo?"), but mostly they just need to see a professional. I frankly don't understand why people are so reluctant to consult their doctor or lawyer.
          Of course we seek the sensei's/ sempai's word before anything else. And there are issues which are best left to the people outside of the forum (e.g. medical help).

Which is why a simple answer amounting to no more than to seek sensei's/professional help seems too convenient to put down as a response.

Even if there was no way us folks here could help with the question at hand, the least we could do is to explain why. Like why only sensei at the dōjō could help, for example.

In short, it just reeks of laziness in some quarters.

Of course, not everyone means it that way though. There just really isn't more to add in some cases.

Comment

That may or may not be true, however in most forums the vast majority of members are lurkers.
            oh yeah i agree completely,

Comment

rant time

One trend i have noticed in regards to posting is that a lot posts are from new members (and kendo newbs).
              I'm not just talking about the initial posts, but most of the replies come from these people too - and unfortunately a lot of these responses are from people are not qualified. There are a few people on this thread i could use as an example.
              So I think this explains why the "ask your sensei" comment comes up so often.

I think the new posters hope to get the answers from many of the 3rd, 4th, 5th Dans and up, unfortunately they dont realise that they are getting advice from 20 year old hachidan wannabes who have been doing kendo for 1 year or less. (It seems most of these come from my country)

Thankfully, there are people like Neil and many others that will post often and give sound advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Of_Music View Post
                Of course we seek the sensei's/ sempai's word before anything else.
                I'm willing to bet that running some statistics against the KWF posts would prove you wrong.

Which is why a simple answer amounting to no more than to seek sensei's/professional help seems too convenient to put down as a response.
                Even though it's the best answer? Maybe we need to dress it up a little? Put it in a skirt and high heels? Make it all touchy-feely, so it feels more special?

Even if there was no way us folks here could help with the question at hand, the least we could do is to explain why. Like why only sensei at the dōjō could help, for example.
                See above.

In short, it just reeks of laziness in some quarters.
                Yes, the laziness of folks who don't spoon feed us...

Hey, I am no great shakes at kendo, and am definitely so far down the food chain that anything I post is laughable, but I do have enough going on to see that a lot of questions posted here are best answered by three words.

-Charles

Comment

Originally posted by pgsmith View Post
                  I post a lot because I get bored at work!
                  ditto, except I'm usually not at work when I post. I'm just kinda bored and want to think/talk about kendo.

Comment

However, I forgot to add....probably the most valuable question I ever asked here was the first one- about the dojos I was considering going to. That was obviously BEFORE I found a dojo to go to and a Sensei to ask. I almost went to a McDojo!! I am incredibly grateful to this board for steering me in the right direction and helping me find an awesome dojo. thanks everyone!
                    Last edited by MartialArtsGirl; 11th June 2009, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I don't post because writing in english is difficult for me and because Neil answer faster.
                      There are a few technical things I could say but I'm not sure it's needed.

Comment

I frankly don't understand why people are so reluctant to consult their doctor or lawyer.
                        If it's a kendo-related strain/injury/feeling, it's sort of comforting to know that other people went through it (i.e., you haven't done something terribly wrong and gotten a really weird injury nobody else gets in kendo) and what they did, as well. Sort of bonding, I suppose.

Also, the last time I went to a doctor in America -- probably three years ago or so, I paid around 180 dollars to get blood pressure, height, weight, and a quiz about my health habits. I shudder to think what it would cost for an actual problem.

Comment

Why don't you post?
                          Because I am occupied with spending time on a certain imageboard :V

Well, because I usually forget about this place :V My club has it's own forum thingy, so most of my questions are answered there.

Like what atgm said (sorta), it's just cool reading up on people's experiences that you can relate to.

Comment

As a noob, here are some of the reasons I post:
                            - to learn more about kendo
                            - to improve my kendo
                            - to understand other people's ways of thinking
                            - to practise self-restraint
                            - to engage my mind (because I'm lazy)
                            - to practise my writing skills (because they are crap)
                            - to release my emotions
                            - to relieve boredom
                            - to have fun
                            - to help others
                            - to learn more about other people
                            - to learn more about myself
                            - to learn more about the world

Comment

Mindreaders!

Because I can't be bothered since nearly everyone here is reading my mind and then post my thoughts exactly.
                              It's really weird and uncanning how many times I think " wow I wanted to say that".
                              I do like to post and try to lure backyard ninja/samurai and the like to the bright side. Not sure if that was succesful until now.

Oh and Neil is always faster when he's not on vacation. Does he ever sleep or off line? I always wonder.
                              Last edited by Fonsz; 12th June 2009, 06:45 PM. Reason: Forgot about Neil

Comment

He has a small LCD mounted on the inside of his men and a frogpad on his tsuka...

Comment

Working...
                                X