X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• akihiro
    started a topic Kiai

Kiai

Question, what is the most interesting or unusual kiai you have ever encountered or heard?

For me, it was in Canada a few years back, in Toronto I believe. This guy's kiai sounded like he was screaming "WHAT'S UP" in a high pitched voice. I had to restrain myself from answering back "NOT MUCH".

• Stimpson J. Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by David J
    There's a guy at our dojo that goes something like "Hassayyyyy!" - I thought this was his particular thing, until I heard someone at another dojo do it too. Is it an established (Karate?) thing or something?

<rei>

Dave
    I have heard somebody do something similar and wondered if it meant something, it sounded like he was saying a word. Myself, mine is getting to be pretty much mono-syllabic grunts, caveman style.

Leave a comment:

• nollaig
    replied
    Just after fighting a Swiss dude in the Europeans who said the word
    "Urup"
    it was a very weird noise!

And I promise I won't say a word about bad ref's decisions!!!!!

'cause that debate has been worn out

Leave a comment:

• Eiliries
    replied
    Originally posted by Eiliries
    A couple of the guys at my dojo were teasing one of my instructors, because they claimed his kiai sounded like a 10-year old girl, he replied that this was on purpose, because he wanted to be original (obvious lie).
    I would like to apologize, this was not meant as an insult.

Leave a comment:

• Anjin-san
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny Boy
    He got so pissed off with fighting her, that he started shouting weird stuff like : banana, chicken, sandwich etc as his kiai.
    Classic... I wish I'd been there.

Couple of my non-kendo friends are trying to get me to scream hadoken or shoryuken for my kiai, us all being street fighter fans. I tried but it just doesn't work as well as good old "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Leave a comment:

• Danny Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eiliries
    A couple of the guys at my dojo were teasing one of my instructors, because they claimed his kiai sounded like a 10-year old girl, he replied that this was on purpose, because he wanted to be original (obvious lie).

I heard a funny story about one of the older guys in our club (who left before i joined).
    At one of Mumeishi 3's competitions he was fighting some small japanese chick. He got so pissed off with fighting her, that he started shouting weird stuff like : banana, chicken, sandwich etc as his kiai. It really turned a few (understatment) of the heads. Dont know if it worked for him though.

Leave a comment:

• Eiliries
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiro
    I went to a taikai yesterday and there was a guy who just kept repeating "" the whole shiai. He wasn't really shouting it, it was like he was saying it, weird.....
    The sound I meant was "nuuuuuuts", but more like a "" in german or a "eu" in dutch or french

Leave a comment:

• Shiro
    replied
    I went to a taikai yesterday and there was a guy who just kept repeating "" the whole shiai. He wasn't really shouting it, it was like he was saying it, weird.....

Leave a comment:

• munenmuso
    replied
    Welcome to the Twilight Zone.<tininin-tininin-tininin-tin>.

Leave a comment:

• 2muchryt
    replied
    the most interesting kiai i have ever heard was from 2 high ranking sensei from japan. i cant remember their names, but perhaps i could inquire.
    anyway, there were some nito guys that lined up with them and they turned
    them awayand would not practice with them .
    after keiko they explained their position as seeing what is now
    "modern nito" has been historically being taught as a way to fight with a
    katana with only one hand. as in the case of riding a horse and using one
    hand to hold the reins, or if one of your arms was injured.
    and that it was not the nito style of mushashi.
    then they went on to say that in addition to being high ranking kendo
    sensei, they were also practioners of a classical kenjitsu ryu that included
    the teaching of the actual ni ten ichi ryu of miyamoto musashi.
    they then announced that for the "sake of the truth of history" (or something)
    they would perform the rarely seen kata of the ni ten ichi ryu of miyamoto musashi so that we would learn the difference between "modern nito"
    and the authentic nito ryu (or somthing like that).
    all i remember was that they had different types of bokken, very thin,
    they used only the weight of the sword to cut (no force from the arm), and
    that the kiai was the strangest sound i ever heard in my life. after they
    explained about the bokken, the use of only the weight the
    razor sharp katana being sufficient to cut, mame, kill, etc.
    and that the kiai took decades to master.
    the only way i can describe it is kind of haunting and ghost like.
    (i hope i can sleep tonight)

Leave a comment:

• KATSUJIN
    replied
    Dr Evil....u from singapore??? can u tell me ur name please??? maybe i know u....

Leave a comment:

• S. Takamori
    replied
    Maybe an interesting item regarding "kiai" is my teachers' explanation about the three "levels" in kiai...

1st: Haruki (when at the beginning stage, people produce much loud voice)

2nd: Sumuki ( later, when people are more involved, looks like flat water on a lake, but inside the power remains strong)

3rd: Saeruki (inner kiai whithout production of sound. This is Tatsujin or Meijin level (Musashi for example)

Leave a comment:

• gill
    replied
    Originally posted by sjp

It certainly does ... and you cant sing either
    Steve, be assured you will be on the receiving end of the most painful pitch next time we meet

...... and I can sing - just not in tune!!!!

Leave a comment:

• KhawMengLee
    replied
    bring one of those horn blowers that ppl use at sports matches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X