Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...backing down because of someone's opinion? Grow thicker skin. This is budo, not a knitting circle.

You may not like their dismissive attitude, but you don't have to take it to heart. Just give more to the next guy...!

Comment

Scott, i get the "grow a thicker skin" concept but in this case, is that attitude part of rei? IMH beginner opinion, no.

Comment

I am a firm believer of rei, but an even firmer advocate of not backing down from adversity.

If a senior grade said to me that I wasn't worth training with, that would push me to develop - and this situation probably ain't that extreme. I think the OP should not get all worked up over something that hasn't even been clarified yet.

Comment

i agree with you on not backing down and not whining when your limits are chalenged, still i think a sensei can relay his message during jigeiko itself (if he/she's the old school type) without having to change how sonkyo should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM View Post
            Whenever I get this I always give a slow walk back and make a meal out of my own sonkyo. If they want to sit there and wait for you, let them!
            As the vast majority of people reading this thread would be in a [much] junior position to the sensei in question and probably don't have the multiple options for sensei that you do, I can't recommend this tactic at all. That would be a good way to get on his shit list if you aren't there already. Hustle back, take sonkyo, thank him for the practice and try to figure out afterward what (if anything) you did wrong.

Comment

Salute

update to this thread....

been a while, but I kept at it. Tonight I actually got a complement from the afor mentioned Sensai after training. Seems I have gotten much better and that I move much smoothly. Now its time to work on my Hiki-Men (very bad).

Mark

Comment

I'll mention (2) occasions I walked away early from my students. (1) this guy hurts me bad but I didn't want to fall down and whine. (2) I gave an advice ( Not to do Kote so BIG and so Hard ) and he totally disregard and did it again. I guess I could have explained this to them but this isn't kindergarten. Some things you have to realize than being taught.

Comment

I agree, this really sounds like one of those "you have to work this out for yourself" things. In the meantime you would be wise to show due respect and diligence to the sensei. I'm, glad the OP is still happily developing his kendo.

Comment

Something like that has happened during my last kangeiko, two monts ago.
                    At the end of the day, I had a jigeiko with Inoue sensei and Kim sensei (both hanshi).
                    They both stopped me after 3/4 attacking actions. In the moment I felt a little upset, thinking that maybe I had done an error. Then I realized that they usually point out errors in other ways (people pushed around the dojo ecc), and that my potential following attacks would not have the same intensity of the previous. In other words I suppose that they feel that I reached the maximum number of "100% capacity" attacks I could made. With many kenshi waiting behind me maybe I understand that from their pont of view there was no need of going on, they had already see my best kendo.

Comment

Working...
                    X