Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mingshi - as has been said, you cant learn Kendo from a book (though I'd argue its not as ludicrous as trying to learn Kung Fu from a manual - so his hands are here in Fig 1.2 and here in Fig 1.3......eh?) but it can back up a lot of what you learn in class. I also found that starting Kendo knowing the etiquette already was a big help. I did start a diary when I started Kendo, so I have "my journey" recorded.. not sure if it would ever be of interest to anyone else though.

Confound - I dont know of a book that is particularly hot on Suburi - I've just checked Ozawa's book and that has five pages only....I'll look into this...

Not sure if Fundamental Kendo can be sourced from anywhere other than the BKA / ZNKA....?

<rei>

Dave

ps two more nice Zen books - "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones" Paul Reps, and "Zen 24/7" Philip Toshio Sudo

Comment

Bit off-topic, but :

>Bokken by Lowry. It's all Yagyu school forms<

It has nothing to do with Yagyu Shinkage ryu - ask Lowry himself.

Comment

Books

Sounds like a lot of readers out there....I thinks thats great...

Fundamental Kendo is only sold new by the AJKF....however used copies can be found.....I found one through Amazon.com

An exceptionally good book for any martial artist is ..."ZEN GUITAR" by Philip Toshio Sudo......this book is about learning the guitar and playing from the heart and soul of yourself.....giving every note 100% as if it is the last note you will ever play.....the interesting part is he writes from the perspective of a sensei in a traditional dojo.....all one has to do is substitute your martial art ie., kendo in place of the guitar and you have one great book.....this book is an easy read and more that worth your time....

Comment

Many of the books listed are actually at amazon. That would be the first place I'd try.

And I don't know af any books with good suburi sections. Sorry. You might try a google search. Suburi sounds like a topic that you might find on some random martial art homepage or old journal.

Comment

Originally posted by lewis
            Many of the books listed are actually at amazon. That would be the first place I'd try.

And I don't know af any books with good suburi sections. Sorry. You might try a google search. Suburi sounds like a topic that you might find on some random martial art homepage or old journal.
            I guess I know I could do a simple search on Amazon for books on kendo...but the whole point of this thread is to get other peoples opinions of why it would be worth getting, afterall the kendokans on this forum are the best people to ask...and not have the opinion of some editor at Amazon tell me what he thinks...and to tell you the truth i have never relied on the customer opinions either...don't trust them, just a paranoid freak i guess.

Comment

the whole point of this thread
              Sorry Kenshin,

I was replying to Confound's question as to where to obtain these titles and her thought that she could not find them on Amazon. Next time I'll be more complete and include all the background information for those not familiar with the thread.

Comment

I should be the one saying sorry...I just thought you were making a sarcastic comment.

Comment

The Japanese-English Dictionary of Kendo (with diagrams)
                  All Japan Kendo Federation,
                  2-3-14 Kudan Minami,
                  Chiyoda-ku,
                  Tokyo 102-00074
                  Japan
                  TEL: 03-3234-6271
                  Published Feb 1, 200

For all your 'grading question' needs,
                  but good for pretty much everything,
                  James

Comment

i would like to ask something...i have been looking something on Nakanishi-Ha Itto-ryu...is there any articles or books available on it??? any that u guys know?

Comment

Books

I would also like to add

The Unfettered Mind: Letters from a Zen Master to a Sword Master.

Comment

Working...
                      X