Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips

Hi all,

I am just wondering how you all maintain your enthusiastic attitudes for Kendo in a long run. Like a motivational cause, or anything you do to maintain ur interest in this sports. Maybe I could use that tips for myself.

BTW, I practiced Kendo since summer 2003

Have a nice day then

zul

I dunno about anything specific. I think some people just tend to stick with things for the long haul, and others move around. For example, you've played kendo for a little over a half-year, and already you're looking for motivation. At this point in your career, there's so much to learn, and you improve so rapidly, that if you can't find motivation now I don't know what I can suggest.

Comment

Go to tournament, see strong kendo player, play strong kendo player.

Comment

Originally posted by haizul
        Hi all,

I am just wondering how you all maintain your enthusiastic attitudes for Kendo in a long run. Like a motivational cause, or anything you do to maintain ur interest in this sports. Maybe I could use that tips for myself.

BTW, I practiced Kendo since summer 2003

Have a nice day then

zul
        Like anything else, if it doesn't direct you to your goals or pursuits in life, then go on or begin with the things that do.

Comment

Little book I'd recommend anyone to read is Mastery by George Leonard. It's a great book about what it takes to learn how to stick with something despite the inevitable breaks in motivation that come with the territory. He uses a lot of metaphors from aikido, though the lessons are universally applicable. Treat yourself - read it.
          Last edited by Paul Kerr; 12th February 2004, 02:53 AM. Reason: incoherent blabbering

Comment

how about taking a break ? , afew weeks off ?

or maybe , quit ?

Its not fun to loose your motivation all the time , usualy its because you dont like somthing .

Comment

Originally posted by Khabbi
              how about taking a break ? , afew weeks off ?

or maybe , quit ?

Its not fun to loose your motivation all the time , usualy its because you dont like somthing .
              I don't think i want to quit though. Just that to maintain the motivation at a high level all the time is my main concern. I never thought about something wrong in Kendo, all of this is because I'm hoping I can find ways to push it further.

Comment

pick a rival... by this i don't mean like an enemy that you plan to drop your bogu bag on the next time you have the chance, but a friend and just be friendly rivals... it's fun... and puts a bit of motivation into it too...

Comment

Well, I've myself decided to stick it out with Kendo, because i knew for a fact that it is a "long term involvement" from the start.
                  No crazy expectations from the start = no disapointments.

Besides, what doesnt kill you, makes ya stronger, right ?

P.S.

If you enjoy doing something, why stop doing it.

Comment

thanks a lot for the tips. I'll keep that in in check.

Comment

Originally posted by kendokamax
                      Go to tournament, see strong kendo player, play strong kendo player.

In my opinion, this is not bad advice. It seems that whenever I've gone to a tournament, I've always come back with a big boost in spirit and motivation.

And as mystic_kendoka mentioned, it's good to have a friendly rival in class.. Someone who is at least as good as you (or maybe a little better).. you can both motivate each other to do better kendo.

Comment

Working...
                      X