X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Shiai

Well, last Saturday, I had my first shiai at the UofT annual tournament. I was a little unsure if I should have joined being in Bogu for just under half a year and my Kendo isn't exactly 'good'. Started at 10 o'clock, got our shinai's weighed and everything, Then there was a bunch of confusion for me as I lost my club members amongst the crowd of Kendoka. I missed warm ups cause I couldn't find my team (lost sheep mode).

I had no idea where I was suppose to be going but eventually found my way to the court with my number and one on my senpai there. I won my first match and lost my second match by a point (I got a point off a men, and she got 2 kote's on me). There wasn't a video for it though since my senpai went to his match after recording my first one.

My opponent was late and the lead shimpan was new I think so he had to keep referring to the other guy.

My First Match:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCxnBImQrE

Being a mundansha from a small club I was also part of the team matches. That didn't last long :P I was nervous and forgot to step in before bowing :S

My team match (hehe, not pretty):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX5mFPyNgpA

I had a great time though I was lost for a large portion of it. Forgot to thank the second person I faced for a match too. I couldn't find them again after wards.

All and all I had a great time, it was a great experience and I recommend any beginner to join even if they are unsure, it's a good learning experience.

Just wondering how other people felt during their first shiai. Share your experience

What are these white things on tare flaps?

Comment

Stickers with player's number maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by krys View Post
        What are these white things on tare flaps?
        They're most likely a "code" assigned to each player. A 2 letter abbreviation for the dojo, followed by a dash, followed by a 2 digit number. Head Sensei or highest ranking member of the dojo to complete would get #1, and so on.

I remember getting KS-25 during my first taikai.

Comment

They are identification tags to tell you where your next match was. Usually its a letter and a number and you would look at the charts at each court which had a tournament style bracket with these ID's on it.

For us we had:
          A - Mudansha
          B - Shodan and Nidan
          C - Sandan and up
          W - Women's Division

And the numbers just represented how many people were at the tournie for this particular tournie anyways.

Comment

Working...
          X