X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To help Yanks learn Geordie!

I have read recently that Cheryl Cole is going to co-present American X Factor Idol got talent or some such tosh.

But, and here is the interesting part, apparently Americans cannot understand her accent and so she is having to take elocution lessons to help her speak a form of English which they can comprehend.

You couldn't make this up!

Now, I could go on the rampage about how dim our US cousins must be not to be able to understand all variants of the English accent but that would be too easy, so I will refrain. Instead, I will try and be helpful and give some useful pointers as to what Biffa Tweedy (Cheryl's real name) might be saying when she lapses into Geordie prose.

"div'n'ah aboot that leek" - I don't know what you mean or I don't agree with you
    "hoy ih toot" - throw it away
    "canny toon broon" - Newcastle is a wonderful place
    "howay the lads" - I really hope Newcastle United football team do well
    "haddaway nn shite man" - I really do disagree with you
    "canny bagga tudor" - nice crisps (potato chips)
    "gizza broon" - I would like a bottle of Newcastle Brown ale if you please bartender
    "am palatic" - I have drunken so much as to be completely paralytic
    "well proppah" - it's the genuine article

Please, those of you in the UK, feel free to add and translate phrases that you have heard from our neanderthalesque Geordie cousins for the benefit of the US

I love accents, but holy moly, that's like another language! I need to go back to ESL.

Comment

Originally posted by satsumaruma View Post
      But, and here is the interesting part, apparently Americans cannot understand her accent and so she is having to take elocution lessons to help her speak a form of English which they can comprehend.

You couldn't make this up!

Now, I could go on the rampage about how dim our US cousins must be not to be able to understand all variants of the English accent but that would be too easy, so I will refrain.
      Riiiight, like we're the ones at fault here. If Americans can't make sense of Geordie, we are in the very best of company.

Comment

Geordie is what English always sounds like after a few too many Newcastles.

Comment

I used to go out with a girl from Sunnyside (Most ironic placename ever). Her rendition of Darth Vader's revelation about his fatherhood of Luke Biffa Bacon style was hysterical:

"Luke, I am you fatha!"

Comment

"div'n'ah aboot that leek" - I don't know what you mean or "canny toon broon" - Newcastle is a wonderful place

Please, those of you in the UK, feel free to add and translate phrases that you have heard from our neanderthalesque Geordie cousins for the benefit of the US
            First of all I've never heard "canny broon toon" before in my life and I was born in Newcastle.

Secondly ar ya tekkin the mick like? Who yee caaling neanderthalesque like?

Comment

To help Yanks learn Geordie!
              The yanks have no chance, not even Geordies understand Geordie!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
                i've heard that said in the past as well!

Comment

... on a side note, i think cheryl cole could speak in any accent and i'd probably listen for a long while...

Comment

Holy shit, this is English?!

http://youtu.be/Q1d39nolU-Y

Comment

Ahahaha!

http://youtu.be/mqRkkVQ6OSE

wor drums!

Comment

And here I thought it was going to be a Star Trek TNG thread!
                        (That was for all you geeks out there, you know you thought it!)

Comment

hey charlie... start picking it up around 1:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fkvq...eature=related

Comment

I could suggest a search for 'sid the sexist' but that would be totally inappropriate for this forum and completely unsuitable for minors.
                            Last edited by Dezza; 28th April 2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Reyer View Post
                              Riiiight, like we're the ones at fault here. If Americans can't make sense of Geordie, we are in the very best of company.
                              At fault? only for agreeing to take her!

Oh and Phil Jupitus can NOT do a Geordie accent.

Originally posted by yoda-waza View Post
                              Geordie is what English always sounds like after a few too many Newcastles.
                              I nearly peed myself laughing. Geordie by numbers!

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
                              So what chance the Makkems and the Smoggies (not to mention the Monkey Hangers)

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                              Holy shit, this is English?!

http://youtu.be/Q1d39nolU-Y
                              Yep. Now you can see why she has take English lessons

Originally posted by tango View Post
                              hey charlie... start picking it up around 1:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fkvq...eature=related
                              Hey, that's the Lord Mayor and Mayoress of Newcastle, you should hear the scuddies speak it!

Originally posted by Dezza View Post
                              I could suggest a search for 'sid the sexist' but that would be totally inappropriate for this forum and completely unsuitable for minors.
                              Ow pet, d'ya like chicken?

Well suck this, it's fowl!

Comment

Working...
                              X