No announcement yet.

When were you put in Bogu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 month and passed nikyu with maybe 3 months total of kendo at the time. I guess things were different back then as I wasn't born a kendo super genius.

Comment

Oh Cool! Awesome replies! x]
      Well i'd say the default time when a beginner gets put in bogu is in 4 months... been 2.9 months for me... still have a ways to go! well thanks guys! appreciate the comments!

Comment

Then it seems I was on above the average "grace period". For me it took 4 months to to get only the hakama+gi, and after that bogu was extra 4 months (with regular practising). When I was told to join the advanced bogu class, I felt that maybe it was a bit early for me, and furthermore I was totally glad with practising only the basics in those days. I shared my thoughts with my sensei, but he replied something like this: "No way. The time has really come."

Comment

I was put in bogu sometime in the Mesozoic, IIRC.

Comment

Man cant wait for bogu... Looks intence!!

Comment

At the time I started kendo, there were quite a lot of beginners joining the club every week. Those who stayed on more than a month and attended regularly (e.g. they seem like them might actually stick to kendo) got informally lumped into a "class" of similarly experienced beginners and would be moved as a group: first to kote, do and tare and then eventually to men. I was a relative late-comer to my "class" and got into kote, do and tare about 6 weeks after I started. There were others who started a couple of months ahead of me in the same "class" so for them it was close to 4 months. We then moved to men perhaps a month after that (and then the serious attrition started).

Later when the economy tanked, new beginners were few and far between in which case their time before bogu depended on how quickly they were picking up kendo and the time of the year they started. Half the year allows beginners to participate in the two practice the club has each week while the other half of the year only had one beginner's practice a week (though if you made a mistake and turned up you could still get your own corner to work on suburi). So joining in the one-practice-a-week half made pre-bogu time longer (4-6 months typically).

Here in Tokyo, I've seen adult beginners get put into bogu surprisingly soon, within a month. These same adult beginners also get far less advice than when I started (I was also an adult beginner). They do not necessarily attend practice more frequently than adult beginners in the West to make up for lack of information. It's not what I am used to seeing but I'm keeping an open mind to see how well it works.

Comment

About a year. Though i took six months off from my child being born, also had to save money for it. Eventually got it though and loving every minute in it.

Comment

four or five months I think

Comment

I was put into bogu about four months in or thereabouts.

Comment

Here's another data point for ya. 3 months.

Comment

Guess I'm one of the outliers. IIRC I started in June or July and the following January either Sensei or one of the instructors asked me if I was going to get keikogi and hakama. Couple of months after that Sensei suggested we (a bunch of us who started about the same time) get bogu. So all told, it was something like 9 or 10 months for me.

Guud luck,

RC_Kenshi

Comment

Yeah last nights practice was Superb as usual, then i was surprised my Sensei Gave us the green light to get bogu! I was like *awwwww yeeeaaaahhh*...
                          But then something else hit me... I want to learn more basics before that, What is this struggle? I thought i was hyped for bogu?

Comment

Originally posted by sarge127 View Post
                            Yeah last nights practice was Superb as usual, then i was surprised my Sensei Gave us the green light to get bogu! I was like *awwwww yeeeaaaahhh*...
                            But then something else hit me... I want to learn more basics before that, What is this struggle? I thought i was hyped for bogu?
                            I'm not sure I understand your comment here. You're excited you have clearance to buy bogu but think your sensei is wrong that you shouldn't learn more basics first?

Working on basics doesn't end when you get bogu.

Moriji Mochida sensei:

In the way of learning Kendo, you have to train hard to learn the basic skills. Many people think that they have already understood the basic skills, but this is totally wrong. During a long period of kendo training, people easily forget what the basic skills are. It took 50 years to learn basic skills. And then I started real Kendo training because I tried to do Kendo with my mind. People start losing good ability of legs, when they turn 60. I started to train to use my mind correctly to support physical disadvantages. When I turned 70, I started losing strength in other parts of my body too. Then, I trained to control my mind to stay calm. At 80, I know how to control my mind. But still I “think” sometimes. Now I am training myself not to think.

Comment

Started kendo 2 years ago in a NCKF dojo. Think it was my 3rd or 4th class that I was put in bogu - definitely remember ji-geiko in my fourth class (though this was mostly an accident as some senior members didn't realize I had just started). Not that I'm a kendo prodigy or anything - just have dan rankings in several other martial arts and tend to pick up things quickly. Wish I had more time for kendo these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge127 View Post
                                Getting used to bogu is part of the basics. As jjcruiser pointed out and illustrated using Mochida Sensei's famous quote, you're always working on the basics

Comment

Working...
                                X