Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC_Kenshi
    replied
    Guess I'm one of the outliers. IIRC I started in June or July and the following January either Sensei or one of the instructors asked me if I was going to get keikogi and hakama. Couple of months after that Sensei suggested we (a bunch of us who started about the same time) get bogu. So all told, it was something like 9 or 10 months for me.

Guud luck,

RC_Kenshi

Leave a comment:

• sirius1906
    replied
    Here's another data point for ya. 3 months.

Leave a comment:

• UnimportantHero
    replied
    I was put into bogu about four months in or thereabouts.

Leave a comment:

• Qoelet
    replied
    four or five months I think

Leave a comment:

• Yukirinkonoko
    replied
    About a year. Though i took six months off from my child being born, also had to save money for it. Eventually got it though and loving every minute in it.

Leave a comment:

• dillon
    replied
    At the time I started kendo, there were quite a lot of beginners joining the club every week. Those who stayed on more than a month and attended regularly (e.g. they seem like them might actually stick to kendo) got informally lumped into a "class" of similarly experienced beginners and would be moved as a group: first to kote, do and tare and then eventually to men. I was a relative late-comer to my "class" and got into kote, do and tare about 6 weeks after I started. There were others who started a couple of months ahead of me in the same "class" so for them it was close to 4 months. We then moved to men perhaps a month after that (and then the serious attrition started).

Later when the economy tanked, new beginners were few and far between in which case their time before bogu depended on how quickly they were picking up kendo and the time of the year they started. Half the year allows beginners to participate in the two practice the club has each week while the other half of the year only had one beginner's practice a week (though if you made a mistake and turned up you could still get your own corner to work on suburi). So joining in the one-practice-a-week half made pre-bogu time longer (4-6 months typically).

Here in Tokyo, I've seen adult beginners get put into bogu surprisingly soon, within a month. These same adult beginners also get far less advice than when I started (I was also an adult beginner). They do not necessarily attend practice more frequently than adult beginners in the West to make up for lack of information. It's not what I am used to seeing but I'm keeping an open mind to see how well it works.

Leave a comment:

• sarge127
    replied
    Man cant wait for bogu... Looks intence!!

Leave a comment:

• Neil Gendzwill
    replied
    I was put in bogu sometime in the Mesozoic, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Panzerfaust
    replied
    Then it seems I was on above the average "grace period". For me it took 4 months to to get only the hakama+gi, and after that bogu was extra 4 months (with regular practising). When I was told to join the advanced bogu class, I felt that maybe it was a bit early for me, and furthermore I was totally glad with practising only the basics in those days. I shared my thoughts with my sensei, but he replied something like this: "No way. The time has really come."

Leave a comment:

• sarge127
    replied
    Oh Cool! Awesome replies! x]
    Well i'd say the default time when a beginner gets put in bogu is in 4 months... been 2.9 months for me... still have a ways to go! well thanks guys! appreciate the comments!

Leave a comment:

• hl1978
    replied
    1 month and passed nikyu with maybe 3 months total of kendo at the time. I guess things were different back then as I wasn't born a kendo super genius.

Leave a comment:

• b8amack
    replied
    My current instructor puts people in after about a month ~ 6 weeks, but it should be added that once they're in bogu, they don't really do anything but hit men and kirikaeshi for about a month after that, so not sure there's a difference.

Leave a comment:

• b8amack
    replied
    Three months.

Leave a comment:

• The great I AM
    replied
    Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
    "Put in bogu"?

I was swaddled with bogu in the manger...can't remember more than that.

(four months for me, which was pretty standard at my first dojo).
    I was born in bogu.

Or it was after 3 months. I forget which.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDowntown
    replied
    Hmmm, about a month for me.
    That was about thirteen years ago. I was doing a lot of kendo in Japan then, both at my dojo and with a community club run by sensei from the local PD.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X