Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I'm finally in Bogu, I can revise my answer:

I started in September
    joined the normal class in December, and Bogu June 4th. It was the same for everyone, so there was me who showed up normally minimum 2 times per week, and then some other people who showed up like once a week or every two weeks, and then people inbetween. I personally felt that it might have been a bit better if it was done by personal skill and advancement.
    I personally enjoyed getting the basics down really well and found that it made class with bogu much easier.
    Last edited by MikalMysha; 21st June 2012, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Interesting answers. The first dojo I was at you were in bogu in about 2-3 months + or -. The club I'm at now you're lucky if you're wearing do and kote after 6 months. I've asked both the reasons for this. The first one said he loses a lot of students when they put on bogu, and it was his opinion that everything changes when you have it on anyways so why prolong it. The other said you need to have a solid foundation to build on and that even though things do change a lot once you put on bogu the foundation still has to be there. I thought they were interesting views considering they are so contrasting. Most dojos I know of tend to stick with the longer beginner period of no bogu and lots basics.

Comment

I started into Bogu about 8 months after I started Kendo. That was Do and Tare at first. After about a month and a half of that we got to put on Kote. Another month and a half and we did Men. All in all it was about 11 months to full Bogu. Some were shorter however. The class really began in earnest about 3 months from when I started and everyone who was already practicing at that time was moved along at the same rate. The big difference with my dojo is that we have a separate class for the beginners and the advanced students. I imagine that could make a big difference in how fast you are put into bogu.

Comment

9 months into full bogu.

Comment

My sensei gave me his extra bogu set on my first day and did keiko with me immediately after I got it on. He wanted to "show" me kendo. After the keiko he asked if I wanted to learn. I said yes. I've been in bogu ever since. So, I've never had a non-bogu practice.

Comment

Interesting story!

At least they got the whole "newbies often stop immediately after getting into bogu" out of the way off the bat

Comment

Hey Toecutter, Can I ask if both dojos' sensei were Japanese or not?

Comment

6 weeks to get in Tare and Do (half an hour after arriving at an out of town dojo with a new set that had arrived the previous week)

Comment

yeah, right?! Really, it was a junior high school in Japan so there wasn't much of an issue with newbies quitting. I joined in the middle of the year when all new "freshman" had already been through their 3 or 4 weeks of non-bogu practice.

Originally posted by Cailin Coilleac View Post
                    Interesting story!

At least they got the whole "newbies often stop immediately after getting into bogu" out of the way off the bat

Comment

Originally posted by Tort-Speed View Post
                      Hey Toecutter, Can I ask if both dojos' sensei were Japanese or not?
                      The first sensei was american, the other who favors the longer period is japanese. Off the top of my head I don't know any japanese instructors that do the quick into bogu, now that you mention it.

Comment

Working...
                      X