Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When were you put in Bogu?

Hey guys!

I just want to do something here, when were... well most of you put in Bogu? Like how long were you a kenshi?
    And give a good comment... I know a kenshi who got put in bogu in 4 months. Thanks! have fun!

"Put in bogu"?

I was swaddled with bogu in the manger...can't remember more than that.

(four months for me, which was pretty standard at my first dojo).

Comment

I was given permission to get my bogu after four months, but wasn't able to actually afford it until about 10 months after I started.

Comment

Ditto (4 months), although I used club bogu for a few months before I bought my own.

Comment

About 2 months for me. Some folks @ my school got it even earlier.

Comment

I'd have to say I don't really remember.

Comment

2 months. I've heard that it's too early, but I was doing Kendo 4 nights a week including beginners and advanced class. Before I got into my bogu I was the only person in shorts/t-shirt doing advanced class, lol

Comment

I don't remember att all :/

Comment

I think I was in bogu after about two weeks...
                  another guy (currently) in our class was put in bogu by the end of his first class..
                  ...but the club had a much different outlook on things back then (15ish+ years ago)... different thinking, different rationale, different motivation.. I suspect the idea back then was more along the lines of "try to make them quit early; serious people will stay"... not sure...

but anyway, we've long (LONG!) since changed our philosophy and now, it's a minimum of 4 months before our folks are eligible to get into bogu..

Comment

I was put in bogu when I was just three years old, in my father's dojo. I should have waited, but I was in a rush to jigeiko with my father's most promising student at the time.

But in all seriousness, I got bogu a little over 2 months after my first class. That was was almost 5 years ago, but I had a 2 year kendo hiatus between then and now.

Comment

I started taking once a week classes at a local YMCA, so it took me longer to get my bogu; 1 year. Since then I've moved to a more serious Kendo schedule. I'm glad it took me that long, because I was able to get a really good grasp of the basics.

Comment

Hmmm, about a month for me.
                        That was about thirteen years ago. I was doing a lot of kendo in Japan then, both at my dojo and with a community club run by sensei from the local PD.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
                          "Put in bogu"?

I was swaddled with bogu in the manger...can't remember more than that.

(four months for me, which was pretty standard at my first dojo).
                          I was born in bogu.

Or it was after 3 months. I forget which.

Comment

Three months.

Comment

My current instructor puts people in after about a month ~ 6 weeks, but it should be added that once they're in bogu, they don't really do anything but hit men and kirikaeshi for about a month after that, so not sure there's a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X