Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrown in bogu last night.

Hey guys sarge here,

Monday night practice was really fun, even though the class was small some students who were injured or sick showed up, to them i gave them high respects for showing up in bad conditions... But the thing about last night was, one of the injured students lent me his bogu.
    As i was sorta in a shock to see myself in it, i liked it a lot... fitted well! Had a few rounds of free-sparring or whatever its called with the other students and a spar match, i hesitated a lot, i would back up everytime i see a strike coming.
    I could barely hear the sensei screaming, "Don't back up!!" so i stood my ground, managed to get a hiki-men point... a good one too!
    But theres one student i will never compete against, thats our 2nd dan student... i never stood a chance but i gave it all... sorta.
    After the 1 hour long practical applications, they all gave me stories about when they were first in bogu... i enjoyed listening to them, i thanked that student who lent me his bogu, i also thanked the other student for helping me take it off... Man it was fun... i have something to look forward to when i get my own bogu!!

Sorry if this was like spam or something, just i was happy to have felt the experience... and wanted to share. awkward silence....

I don't think it's like spam at all. Glad you had a great first experience.

Comment

Now you have something to look forward to every day!

Comment

Not spam. Excellent.

I still remember the first time I put on bogu. It was really something special for me. Although I had no real idea what to do while wearing it, putting on bogu for the first time does indeed feel like you are finally "doing" Kendo.

Long may your enthusiasm continue.

Comment

Great to hear! Just hold onto that feeling and memory so you can work towards the day that you have your own bogu

Comment

Great! Nice to hear you had such a positive experience.

Comment

Another vote for: not spam at all Thanks for sharing!

At first, judging by the topic title, I actually thought you were going to write about how you, or someone at your dojo, decided to quit. As in "throw in the towel/bogu". I was glad that wasn't it

Comment

After 7years of kendo I still feel the same excitement when putting on men for the night!! It is what I love about kendo...no matter what one feels like while going to kendo (a task that is sometimes daunting) when the suburi start and the men goes on one falls back in love! It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed the initial experience, but don't let anything discourage you! If the nidan wants to keiko - embrace the opportunity to learn something new and just do your best!! Ihope you get your own bogu soon so that you can always enjoy kendo as much...

Comment

Originally posted by sarge127 View Post
                  Hey guys sarge here,

Monday night practice was really fun, even though the class was small some students who were injured or sick showed up, to them i gave them high respects for showing up in bad conditions... But the thing about last night was, one of the injured students lent me his bogu.
                  As i was sorta in a shock to see myself in it, i liked it a lot... fitted well! Had a few rounds of free-sparring or whatever its called with the other students and a spar match, i hesitated a lot, i would back up everytime i see a strike coming.
                  I could barely hear the sensei screaming, "Don't back up!!" so i stood my ground, managed to get a hiki-men point... a good one too!
                  But theres one student i will never compete against, thats our 2nd dan student... i never stood a chance but i gave it all... sorta.
                  After the 1 hour long practical applications, they all gave me stories about when they were first in bogu... i enjoyed listening to them, i thanked that student who lent me his bogu, i also thanked the other student for helping me take it off... Man it was fun... i have something to look forward to when i get my own bogu!!

Sorry if this was like spam or something, just i was happy to have felt the experience... and wanted to share. awkward silence....
                  First time in bogu is always an experience to remember. Some love it, other panic at the thought they will get hit back but either way I think it is the first time to actually appeciate kendo (and the first time you realise how much the people in bogu put up with before you've learnt tenouchi ).

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful replies! man, so far im only 200$ short of the bogu i want... I can't wait! Man... of the things i would do in bogu...
                    Cya guys! Train well!

Comment

For me still, even now after over 30yrs of kendo there's this moment of awe as I put on my men. It's something that always feels fresh and something I've never tired of...and hope I never will.

Comment

I am sooo envious. I have been doing Kendo for 3 months and stare in awe of my sempai and our advanced students in bogu.
                        Can't wait. Also somewhat nervous about putting it on and forgetting all of the basics.
                        Still, can't wait. Glad to hear others are excited and anticipate the experience
                        Thanks for the thread and by no means was it spam

Comment

As with other experiences in life, we tend to remember the first time.

Comment

If you have not started a kendo diary, now is a great time. Remembering those feelings can help you later.

Comment

Originally posted by annoraderenart@ View Post
                              If you have not started a kendo diary, now is a great time. Remembering those feelings can help you later.
                              You just confirmed what I was thinking to do. Last night's practice will go down on paper - felt like everything went wrong - could not get timing down until half way though class, strikes seemed off...

Still having trouble keeping the rear foot straight - after 30 years in aikido where the rear foot is turned out slightly, keeping the rear foot straight is a challange. Although one of our sempai told me to keep more weight on the inside of my feet. I naturally pronate [the feet roll to the outside when I walk] so this was interesting - and it felt much better - another thing to remember.

Sorry for rambling, but the advice here is great

Later

Comment

Working...
                              X