X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TKD in the Olympics

I think this is an interesting article about martial arts and olympic politics.

I wonder if Lutalo Muhammad's ethnicity/religion/colour etc have had a hand in this decision? Official agencies here in the UK are so keen to be seen as promoting people like Muhammad (and me) that they sometimes make idiotic decisions. Anyway, I look forward to receiving my nanadan in the post from the BKA anyway now.

Comment

"The World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) has reacted to all this with an expression of its acronym..."

Too easy.

Comment

Why not let them "literally" fight for it or have a tournament or something?

Comment

Originally posted by hl1978 View Post
          That would make too much sense.

I don't know how selection works in all the olympic sports, but my vague recollection was that for some there are qualifying tournaments and for others there is coach's selection, and for others a combination. I suppose the trick here is that there's just ONE slot.

My impression of the article is that it what suggesting that his refusal to train with the national team ruffled feathers and this is payback for it.

Comment

Originally posted by hl1978 View Post
            Why do an experiment when you can sit in a room and theorize about what should happen?

Comment

Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
              I don't know how selection works in all the olympic sports, but my vague recollection was that for some there are qualifying tournaments and for others there is coach's selection, and for others a combination. I suppose the trick here is that there's just ONE slot.
              For some sports, like athletics, there is an IOC standard you must meet so if for example a country can't field a marathoner that can meet 2:18 in a sanctioned race, nobody from that country can race the marathon. Athletics Canada has an even tougher standard, so there are some athletes that meet the IOC standard but not the Canadian standard and they can't go either.
              Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 14th June 2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X