• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kENDO POWER RANGER CHALLENGE

Jokes apart this guy is really strong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnaPwt3tBk

This is awesome!

I wonder who he is... essentially the concept of the show is that if you beat the 'Hyaku Man', you win 1 Million Yen (about 12,000 USD with today's excahnge - though this was from years ago...) - so they were never gonna put in someone who couldn't perform....

Wish they would do that sort of show again...

Comment

Haha, nice find. This is like a kendo version of the Stig.

edit: Andy beat me to the prize explanation.

Better practice more!

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
        Haha, nice find. This is like a kendo version of the Stig.
        Apparently can't +rep you for this... but that is awesome! the Kendo-Stig!

Comment

Am I the only one that would wear that uniform and bogu combination in a heartbeat?

Comment

I would...I'd come out of competition retirement to wear it. Having a dojo set might make a good recruiting incentive too.

> Am I the only one that would wear that uniform and bogu combination in a heartbeat?

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
              This is awesome!

I wonder who he is... essentially the concept of the show is that if you beat the 'Hyaku Man', you win 1 Million Yen (about 12,000 USD with today's excahnge - though this was from years ago...) - so they were never gonna put in someone who couldn't perform....

Wish they would do that sort of show again...
              I agree, this would be great to bring back. If you're going to try to popularize kendo to the masses and want to add a bit of flare to it, then this is the way to do it. I like that the producers didn't ask for the techniques to be altered at all for the sake of the show and it's pretty clear they picked a really good kenshi to be their Hyaku Man.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth_monkey View Post
                Am I the only one that would wear that uniform and bogu combination in a heartbeat?
                The looks alone when you roll up to a taikai wearing this uniform/bogu would be priceless!

Comment

Maybe it is his build, but he sure does his kote like Korean National Team Members....

Comment

A) The outfit is awesome.
                    B) Who the hell is that guy? Someone, somewhere must know... He does look a bit "Korean".

Comment

But wait, it gets better with a nanadan kyoshi and a jodan kenshi in the challenger list!

http://youtu.be/YckXvOkJeJs

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
                        ...Korean National Team Members....
                        It really wouldn't surprise me actually... the guy is clearly very good, but most of Japan's top level guys are Police Men - in other words, they are considered public servants, and engaging in this sort of activity in return for money is basically forbidden...

I really would like to know who it is though...

Comment

Yes, me and my friend thinks that he's Korean too.
                          Nice post!

Comment

If he's (would be very surprised if not male) Korean that might explain why his sonkyo does not reflect his other kendo abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                              It really wouldn't surprise me actually... the guy is clearly very good, but most of Japan's top level guys are Police Men - in other words, they are considered public servants, and engaging in this sort of activity in return for money is basically forbidden...

I really would like to know who it is though...
                              Yeah...I was wondering with the friendly rivalry whether using a Korean Kenshi as Hyakuman would be "wickedly humorous" on the part of the producers...but like you said, it would be unlikely that top Japanese players would be willing or able to participate in the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X