Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been watching the Tae Kwon Do at the Olympics and I have to say its, at best, insipid. It seems just placing a foot on an opponent's head is sufficient to get points. I saw fast snappy punches connecting to the body where sensors are worn and going unscored. Its embarrassing to watch to be honest but I'm sure (hope) club level Tae Kwon Do isn't like this and yet its the clubs who are going to get a huge boost in participants wanting to take part. I take back all I've said, Kendo should do its best to keep away from the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro777 View Post
      I've been watching the Tae Kwon Do at the Olympics and I have to say its, at best, insipid. It seems just placing a foot on an opponent's head is sufficient to get points.
      Indeed, what's worse is it seems that you can lightly tap someone on the head with your foot, completely lose balance , end up on your ass whilst your opponent stands over you and yet still score a point.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
        Indeed, what's worse is it seems that you can lightly tap someone on the head with your foot, completely lose balance , end up on your ass whilst your opponent stands over you and yet still score a point.....
        And just think, in the "old" days, TKD was originally a martial art (called something else) where one was expected to attack riders on horseback. Imagine these same Olympic TKD people trying to jump up over 6 or 7 feet in the air and dismount a rider with their foot, maintaining balance. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Shinsengumi77 View Post
          And just think, in the "old" days, TKD was originally a martial art (called something else) where one was expected to attack riders on horseback.
          That's a myth. TKD is mostly shotokan karate morphed by 60+ years of Korean influence into the kick-centric competition form it is now.

Comment

Ha ha I wasn't sure...when I was in Korea that's what some people demonstrating said to me. I have no interest in it and so didn't bother to look it up to confirm anything...

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

In any case, I thought it was inefficient even in its theories (but then I'm from a background where kicking above the waist is considered unnecessary and dangerous), but what it's become is just plain bad.

Comment

What TKD isn't 2000 years old and invented in korea? Next we will be told that the koreans invented kumdo, yudo, hapkido and KTV.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinsengumi77 View Post
                Ha ha I wasn't sure...when I was in Korea that's what some people demonstrating said to me. I have no interest in it and so didn't bother to look it up to confirm anything...

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

In any case, I thought it was inefficient even in its theories (but then I'm from a background where kicking above the waist is considered unnecessary and dangerous), but what it's become is just plain bad.
                Generally, if a Korean is explaining the origins of a Korean martial art, you'll want to get citations

Comment

lol Yeah, like I said, wasn't really interested, so I didn't give it much thought.

Comment

Originally posted by hl1978 View Post
                    That tells you exactly which demographic they are targeting with the advertisements..... As typically of most TV watching, Nielsens data shows female viewers in the majority. This would explain the number of Chobani, GE, and P&G ads, as it is a matter of marketing faith that women make the majority of household purchasing decisions.

In other news, at least that south korean fencer eventually got a silver.
                    Yeah, don't remind me about that. I was rooting for Mariel Zagunis to take Gold again. Oregonians REPRESENT!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X