Cross Swords, Know Love??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mingshi
    started a topic Cross Swords, Know Love??

Cross Swords, Know Love??

Noticing the motto at London's Mumeishi dojo, "Cross Swords, Know Love", I was wondering...
    What type of Kendoka do you particularly HATE practising with?

This is to express my anger+frustration over some fellow Kendoka. Damn them sometimes after Kendo I think I've to go for some anger-management class because of those dumb-asses.

I'll start by saying---
    I HATE THOSE WHO KEEP MISSING CUTS AND SMASHING MY UNARMORED PARTS WITHOUT ANY FEELING OF REGRET!!

I fully understand Kendo is a full body-contact martial art, and missing cuts on undesirable areas is inevitable. One smash on my elbow, I can take. It's okay if you've missed twice. But for the 3rd time? Please pause for a while and think about what you're doing. Most of the time when people miss cuts they sign for a 'Ya-me' to check if their opponent is okay. I think this should be an unspoken part of Reigi because a normal human being would understand this. Hey if I did 10 jikeiko and every one misses 3 cuts on me, then I'll be receiving 30 with my own flesh. Although it's not my primary concern, I don't want special attention on public transportation when I go home at late-night with numerous bruise on my arms (the big fishing gear pack is drawing enough attention already).

Someone please have their own entry and explaination, so that we'd all know what we shouldn't be doing, and to make our practice more enjoyable. Thanks. (or I'll fill up the list by putting down more of mine)

(BTW... This teaching of Kendo actually contradicts with the Jedi Codes, which states that, "A Jedi Shall Not Know Anger. Nor Hatred. Nor Love." )

Guest replied
    [QUOTE=Foreigner][QUOTE=Confound]An ayn rand quote would be far better evidence of being an 'angry young woman'. I suspect that you tend to brand any thinking woman as an 'angry young woman' or a 'nasty old crone'. As such, I'll relegate your opinion to the list of 'banal oddities culled from obscure sources', and call it even.

Ooops replied to the wrong post....oh well alls well with Ayn

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    [QUOTE=Confound]An ayn rand quote would be far better evidence of being an 'angry young woman'. I suspect that you tend to brand any thinking woman as an 'angry young woman' or a 'nasty old crone'. As such, I'll relegate your opinion to the list of 'banal oddities culled from obscure sources', and call it even.

Wasn't a chimp named Noam Chimpsky after Chomsky claimed it did not have the cognitive skills to use language?

Leave a comment:

• PhilMcLaughlin
    replied
    buy extra protectors

Mingshi

We all miss the target and hit the opponent sometimes - it happens

If youre vulnerable buy an elbow protector (i use one on the right)

Getting hit on the elbow can also be due to not wanting to be cut doh

If youre fighting someone trying to hit doh just raise your arms and let them have the do - its what the armour is for - maybe they learn maybe not - it is jigeiko rather than shiai

if youre really stuck then ask the sensei "how can i avoid being hit on the elbow, for example when i fence X" - thats a not very subtle hint nicely phrased to get his attention (and or instruction)

hope it helps

Leave a comment:

• Old Warrior
    replied
    "What type of Kendoka do you particularly HATE practising with?"

We rotate after about 3 sets of whatever exercise is designated, so the amount of time you spend with any one person is not that long. I will admit to prefering certain partners for kirakaeshi and disliking others. But, my criteria is simply that I like to give and receive with spirit and a lackadaisical attitude spoils the exercise. I'm in no position to comment upon someone else's skill level. I don't even mind it when I get whacked, as long as my partner is trying.

Leave a comment:

• kendo_chick
    replied
    stk - The type with really long and sharp toenails!
    those things can do more damage than all the missed cuts in the world.

Dont' I know it!!! I know at least one person (who shall remain nameless) that does that! ARGH!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "What type of Kendoka do you particularly HATE practising with?"

The type with really long and sharp toenails!
    those things can do more damage than all the missed cuts in the world

I've never really had any of the problems other people talk about here.. yet..

Leave a comment:

• GMason
    replied
    I'n not a Saint ..... YET !!!!

I havn't quite attained Sainthood yet I still have a couple of miracle's to perform first

Hmmmm.......

Still seems a bit harsh to me. I understand that you want people to keep on cutting of Kote etc.... but surely a kind word is better than a Tskui (God!! I've just re-read that and I sounds like a real left wing liberal, I'll turning into a tree hugging hippy soon
    ) I'll put it another way, I think telling someone and then showing them what they are doing wrong would be better.

But having said that I suppose I have never had anyone who blatently ignores me and carries on doing what they want.

Having said all that, and have preached on about turning the other cheek the one thing that get's on my nerves (only a little bit ) is when people chin you under with the left hand after a men cut.

Leave a comment:

• alexpollijr
    replied
    Mason, you are sure bound to be a saint.

I can't just suck it in and walk away. Not at all times. One missed blow per practice is ok. Everyone does it now and then, even sensei.

But to keep a steady mark of four or so grueling blows to very unprotected areas is absurd, I can't take it. I tell people but they believe that they are right. Therefore, I resort to tsuki and yokomen, which, mind you, are actually valid targets

Leave a comment:

• GMason
    replied
    Calm Down !!!!! Calm Down

Come on people !!!!

This thread is starting to sound more like a winge page than anything else.

As alot have you professed in the past Kendo is character building surely, building ones character intails taking a couple of hits off target, and giving beginners a little bit of room for error.

If someone is being an Arse, put up with it for the 3 minutes you have to keiko with them and move on. Don't tsuki them and think that will sort it out.

These problems listed on this thread seem "par for the course" to me. I've been hit off target yes it hurts but that's life. Yes I've had people cut men on me and I've felt like I was going to pass out. But again you can put up with it. You shouldn't have to but you can. Later you just nicley say that the cut was very good but they just need to work on the tenuchi (sp?). Again it's not a matter of starting a list and looking for revenge later (Not that I'm saying anyone is doing that.)

Sorry to rant...... I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I've been reading this thread since it started and thought I would put my couple of cents worth in.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    An ayn rand quote would be far better evidence of being an 'angry young woman'. I suspect that you tend to brand any thinking woman as an 'angry young woman' or a 'nasty old crone'. As such, I'll relegate your opinion to the list of 'banal oddities culled from obscure sources', and call it even.

c

Leave a comment:

• ben
    replied
    Hey!Leave Noam alone!

b

Leave a comment:

• JSchmidt
    replied
    Probably not ..but you strike me as being an angry young woman and the Noam Chomsky reference in the other thread,completed the picture .

Cheers,

Jakob

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mr. Schmidt, was that remark wholly necessary? Besides, I don't drink cheap wine.

c

Leave a comment:

• Ares2907
    replied
    Originally posted by Kuri
    Ares2907: Tilting your head back to negate the men cut is an interesting concept. Maybe, it will break the shinai ($$), but what is the risk that some splinters are going to end up embedded in your eyes?

It may be a poor cut, but you're putting yourself in a potentially dangerous position. Surely there must be another way.

Methinks you misunderstand. Apologies for my lack of clarity. I don't mean I pretend that I have a flip-top head, it's a subtle movement, just pushing the chin forward (or a slight raise of the chin depending on how you wear your men) so that the men-gane takes the impact instead of the top of the men.
    No more dangerous than any other men strike, you just get to avoid being concussed. I'll take my aite's broken shinai over overwhelming dizziness and vomiting any day (found this out the hard way several years ago).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X