Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Changing Bogu Color in Kumdo Tournament

Hello,

I have a question regarding Regulations for Kumdo Tournaments...

I was watching a video of a televised Kumdo match and noticed that the person who is on the white side always changed to white Men and Kote.

I am pretty sure that the reason for this is that it will be inherently easier for the shinpan to differentiate between blue (red) and white.

However, is this an actual regulation?

amatsuda

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/sjkendo

Amatsuda,

As far as I know (and there comes Achilles) , in the 2001 SBS in Korea the white side was using a white men. I didn't quite like it but it was fair enough. Then, I believe, korean 'powers that be' also didn't quite fancy it, so in the 2002 SBS the white player was using a white kendogi instead, and usual indigo hakama & kendogu.

I think it's a nice idea by the koreans. That way, you always know who is who no matter where you are placed (as a spectator) or how far. And for the shimpan, while not being such a wondrous advantage, it's also interesting.

One thing that puzzles me is how they change kendogi between matches if two initially ' white ' players are to fight with each other.

BTW, the 2002 SBS is a delight to watch. despite the usual scorn some people have about the korean way of fighting.

Comment

what's wrong with the Korean way of fighting?

What "scorn" do people have about fighting with Korean Kumdo??

Comment

taiwnezboi - Some people (myself NOT included) believe that the Korean Kumdo is violent and therefore not suited to kendo. I personally believe that any style of kendo or kumdo can be just as good as the next. Our instructor is from Korean and when he visits home and comes back to our classes, I do notice that he is more agressive, and he always whips us back into shape, but I do not believe that being agressive equals being mean or violent.

Comment

ah again this discussion :S

Comment

My KENdo instructor is Korean, but he doe not seem overly violent. He gives me a few good whaps on the head when I screw up during kirikaeshi and keiko, but I never get a bad vibe from him.

Comment

Abe Froman?

The Sausage King of Chicago?

Comment

OT: If anyone thinks that kumdo is 'violent', try training with the Japanese cops, they're exactly the same - aggressive, intense, competitive and focused: brilliant kendo, nothing wrong there!

Comment

Amen to that, Hamish. I've only trained with one, and he was more than enough for me.

b

(This is equal opportunity for all alphabet letters week. i'm giving all the other letters a chance, since the c is tired and went on vacation)

Comment

I haven't heard much about kumdo, and haven't seen any video yet that I distinguished a difference in technique, other than maybe a faster, attacking, pace. Could anyone tell us (or direct us to a concise source) what (some) the differences in techniques? are there expanded target areas, additional/different footwork, does it emphasize different waza, add "judo" moves, trips, chokes, etc., like I've heard was part of pre-WWII kendo?? So far on the forum, I've only heard of trivial differences in clothing style and hints of greater aggressiveness/intensity, which were promptly challenged with data on kendo aggressiveness/intensity.

Looking forward to some learning,
                    Dobedog

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
                      OT: If anyone thinks that kumdo is 'violent', try training with the Japanese cops, they're exactly the same - aggressive, intense, competitive and focused: brilliant kendo, nothing wrong there!
                      You can say that again!Our sensei serves in the Japanese police force, has 4 dan and he has come to Greece as an attach for the embassy. He teaches in our dojo to keep himself in shape and for practice. He is very aggressive. Completely opposite is our other teacher who is Greek. He is much more subtle and even he gets corrected by our Japanese sensi a lot of time.

Comment

So if you have to change the color of your bogu, does the tournament provide it? Or do players own one gi of each color?

Comment

Working...
                        X