Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• requirements to teach kendo?

Hi all!

My question is that if there are any requirement to be a kendo trainer(sensei) in your country or anyone may found a dojo and may teach kendo.

Thanks for your answers

In Canada I think you must be at least 4th dan to be a sensei.

But many dojo here in some far places of our big country don't have the chance to have a 4th dan sensei, so they have to do their best with what they have. Normaly a couple of students who have shodan or nidan will teach. Some of these dojo have a "suporting" sensei which comes 1 or twice to the club to check how are things going.

I think there is nothing wrong with a shodan having to teach others if there isn't any other way around. But that only if that particular person knows that his kendo also needs to always improve.

This summer since we were not many at our club for a couple of practices I also gave classes with other student. But I'm only ikkyu! so sad..

So all depends on the situation.

Comment

Actually kendokamax, to be called sensei in Canada you must be a 5th dan. However, like you said, you don't have to have a resident sensei to have a club. Our instructor is a shodan, but we have a few members of the CKF come down here once or twice a year to check us out.

Comment

Same in Aus, 5 dan = sensei.

It usually depends on who else is training in your part of the world. If you're sankyu and you're the most experienced person in the country, then it looks like you'll be taking training. Similarly, if some 17 year old shodan from Japan turns up in your town on exchange, s/he would automatically become your sempai and you could reasonably expect him/her to take training for as long as s/he is around.

This is how it started in Australia in the late 60s. A few guys got together and taught themselves from books with homemade equipment. Then someone arrived from the UK who had been graded. Then a succession of businessmen on secondment who had dan grades, and so on. Regular visits from Japanese sensei also helped. Finally a kind of critical mass was reached where the organisation started to grow itself, (still with help from Japan).

There have been people come back from Japan with one year's training from some crackpot sensei who has encouraged them to start their own dojo(s). These are usually for-profit organisations where it doesn't take long for a talented kendoka to outgrow their "instructor". It is a self-regulating system in some ways, because these students usually leave to find better teaching fairly quickly.

b

Comment

Ah, I forgot to mention, in Australia there is also the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme that covers all sports, of which kendo has been a part since 1982. This scheme provides training and certification of coaches at three levels: level 1 = club coaching (>2 dan); level 2 = state team coaching (>3 dan) ; level 3 = national team coaching (>5 dan), with more rigorous study and testing requirements the higher you go. This is another thing to stop people opening kendo McDojos and issuing their own 10th dans.

b

Comment

Im ashamed to say it but Im the teacher in my town and Im only ikkyu. The dojo in the closest town from here is led by a shodan although they have two nidan who doesnt train right now.
            Second closest town is led by a shodan also.
            Thats life in northern Sweden for ya...

My dojo was started by some guys with no experience at all. I was taught by Tony Mrhammar, Kent Sjstrm and Andreas Floberg. The first guy quit at nikkyu, Kent and Andreas went on to take shodan. Unfortunatley Kent stopped practising and Andreas moved to Stockholm which left me in charge of things.
            With the help of sempai from other cities we can still continue to improve our kendo and I hope that Lule one day has a real sensei.

To answer the question about Swedens rules for teachers grades...I dont think we have any. At least Ive never heard of any such rules.

Andreas if youre reading this - hope we meet sometime soon for some keiko!

Comment

I think that we in sweden use to call kendokas that are 6 dan and above sensei.

Our national team coach is a 4 dan and the team taisho is 6 dan

Comment

Here in Hungary will be a requirement from 2005.We have to take a 1 year night course(1 afternoon per week) in a P.E university to be a "sport teacher". Without this course you can't be a kendo teacher in a dojo (it will be in the sport law).
                This is the reason i started this thread. I wonder if other countries have similar rules or not?

Comment

I'm pretty sure folks in the states have been very reluctant to adopt this kind of certification, but here in the states there is a great deal of resistance to the government butting into people's lives!

Comment

Teaching in the US

Sorry Charlie, I don't agree with you.

May be that's not the case for teaching Kendo, but there're many profesional activities that need a gouvernement autorization in the US (medicinie, lawyer, flight licence, etc).

In many countries is mandatory to have an insourance (ie: have a federation licence) if you want to practice a sport at public instalations, and the teacher can be liable of what happens to his students.

I think that is reasonable that the teachers of something as pysical as Kendo get some regulated training. Even if they're not profesionals.

Rei

Comment

Actually, Diego, I should have been more clear. I personally wouldn't mind seeing the U.S. adopt such a practice. I mostly agree with you! I mean, it wouldn't be hard to take some night courses and get certified in basics to teach or coach. Safer for all concerned.

What I meant in my original post was that a lot of *Americans* simply object to such things. Especially when it comes to starting a business, Americans like to have complete freedom and resist government interference. That said, sometimes Americans hand over liberties to the government with both hands. Just depends on the situation.

Comment

The situation as I understand it in Frnce is the following :
                        You need to be nidan and hold a sport teaching licence if you want to open a dojo. This licence can be achieved ina yar taking evening classes, a couple of week ends and an exam of some sotr, I think. However, you will not be able to get paid for your tuitions. For this, you need a professionsal sport teaching licence, which is more difficult to get and requires more time, usually involving full time training.
                        Where I live now in the UK, as far ass I can tell, you don't even need to know how to do any kendo to open a dojo, and there certainly are no rules as to whom to call sensei, although most people will call people with 6thg and 7th dan this way.
                        Antonin

Comment

I believe you need to be 5th Dan to open a dojo in the UK.

Jakob

Comment

Jakob - 5th Dan to open a UK Dojo

I dont think so..

There are plenty of us northern buggers in clubs run by people who are no where near 5th Dan.

All these dojos are on the BKA list , and if that WAS the case none of these would have ever come into existance.
                            We keep the kendo alive north of Watford, which i know for some of you southerners is in the barbarian outland.

Cheers

Comment

This is a subject that both bothers and concerns me at the same time. I don't like the thought of a club being lead by someone with little or no experience. How can someone with only sho-dan (or less!), help others improve? Their experience in kendou is so limited!

Honestly, it really irks me to hear about clubs being lead by people with low grades. i know that sometimes there isn't anyone else available, and in those situations I salute those brave enough to share their love of kendou with others, but should that be considered teaching?

I know that this post will draw heavy opposition, and probably outright anger, but that isn't my intent. (Yeah right, you're thinking, this is Confound we're talking about here.)

In all seriousness, there are many people who would like to begin studying kendou, but they have no place to do so. Kendou as a sport could profit a great deal by relaxing teaching restrictions somewhat, or modifying current rules. I would be interested in hearing others' thoughts on this matter, its a question that has bothered me from time to time.

p

Comment

Working...
                              X