X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey what is this called?

Hi does anyone know what the jacket that a few kendoka wear (on cold mornings) over their kendogi?

(see my avatar)

What is it called in Japanese?

Where can I get one?

Thanks
    Meng

that's a ........jacket!

I dunno what you are talking about?

Comment

Wait bad example:

Here is a better one:
      http://www.page-five.de/TENSHU/photos8.htm

Look at pics 2 and 3 and see how they wear an overcoat above their Gi(The guys with the rifles covered in red cloth). What is that called in Japanese?

Where can we get one?

MENG

Comment

I think it's called a haori when it's to be worn over kimono or hakama (usually wool or silk - moths love them - bastards!). When it is sleeveless it's called a jin-baori. When it's for a sushi chef or for wearing at a summer festival, it's called a hanten or a happi.

Some Japanese antique stores in Aus also sell kimono, you might find a nice second hand one there.

b

Comment

Heh, thanks Ben.

I got a Happi/hanten from when I was in Kyushu. But I dont think I should wear it over my kendo gi...it was given to me by this pub owner. Its got a beer logo on the back...nice though.

MENG

Comment

Meng, there's a guy on e-bay who sells really beautiful haori coats. (I have a nice black silk one with a wave design and 3 mon, but that's not for sale!) he's in kanazawa, do a search for hakama and you'll comeup with only him usually. if you were interested in buying a haori that is..

c

Comment

Try the Nike shop.

Richard

Comment

bujin-design.com also sells haori.

Comment

Working...
                X