Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo in commercial advertising

Hi all,
    Just wondering what (non-martial-art related) products you have seen advertised using kendo. A friend told me about 'Tiger Beer' in Singapore using kendo in an ad campaign. I'm curious to see where else and for what else kendo has been used.
    (if you can provide URL references, so much the better).
    Cheers.

The world cup :

http://www.fiendish.com/hizen/archive/jefftv2002/

Comment

There was some weird Nike(? well, some sports shoe company) ad a few years ago on adcritic.com that had guys dressed up in kendo get-ups doing flying kicks and all sorts of silliness...

I don't think that ad ever made it to broadcast TV though.

Comment

I saw an Asahi Beer advert in Taipei a few years ago, where the guy did kirikaeshi straight out the dojo and into the bar (so whats new...)

I beleive there is an up-coming car advert in Europe, as an advertising agency had held auditions for kendoka in the UK

Gill

Comment

Volkswagon are running an advert on German television at the moment for thier Phaton car, you might catch it on Eurosport, if you still have access to analogue satallite it is being shown alot on DSF. It shows an attractive young woman training with an ageing Sensei, very well done indeed.

Comment

yeah they got tv ads here in Japan doing kendo. The last one that I saw was a instant ramen add. Just silly.
            Last year they had another add with Leonardo DiCaprio doing kendo and losing to a women. He speaks some Japanese and it was amusing. I forgot what they were advertising. I think ramen again.
            Also in music, Enigma had a video out two years ago with kendo and sex hmmmmm.......did anyone see that?

Comment

Oh about the Leonardo add. When they take off their men he finds out that he lost to a women. I guess that's supposed to be the joke. He's surprised and says "mairimashita. "

Comment

Alot of add with kendo, somehow I just feel offended.. does anyone feel the say ?? Probably just me .... sort fo not comfortable when people joke around with kendo :P ......

Comment

Oh about the Leonardo add. When they take off their men he finds out that he lost to a women. I guess that's supposed to be the joke. He's surprised and says "mairimashita. "

Maybe they should have been using Shinken's. I can see it now...

Leonardo with that arrogant self assured smug thinks he can whip this girl. So he opts to use a shinai to give her a chance.

Ho!Ho!Ho! How surprised is he when she disembowels him.

he says, "urk! kuso-o-ok..."

Comment

Originally posted by inner_cent
                    Alot of add with kendo, somehow I just feel offended.. does anyone feel the say ?? Probably just me .... sort fo not comfortable when people joke around with kendo :P ......
                    I don't really mind when people joke around about kendo (hell, I don't even mind when people joke around during kendo). Can't take ourselves too seriously after all. But I understand what you mean: Moronic ad agency execs shouldn't be misapropriating kendo with their grubby little hands. Unfortunately having bad taste and being stupid is not against the law (I'd have been executed long ago if that were the case...).
                    BTW, the advert about the guy doing kirikaeshi right into a bar seems very, very funny (must think of that doing some time).

Comment

There were a chocolate advertising in Brazil in the 80's where two kendoka were playing kendo, take out their men and eat their chocolate. The problem was that they were not even sweating!
                      I watched black rain in tv some time ago, and noticed that in the kendo scene, nome made kiai. That was weird, the sound of the shinai hiting and the silence.

Comment

Originally posted by inner_cent

Sadly they do it a lot here in Japan with Kendo, Iai Sumo etc.

I always refuse to do anything for TV having been on a few times in what resulted in a melodramatic, amateurish program.

I got dragged into an NHK documentary earlier this year. Most of it ended on the cutting room floor but my bit was still in there! Sensei has watched the damn video a number of times since then to correct my mistakes with a vengeance

Hyaku

Comment

Last year in London there was a poster doing the rounds for Asahi Super Dry (or was it kirin?) where the bottle was being oppened by inserting the lid between bars of the mengane like a bottle oppener.
                          Strangely there were no men-himo on the men on - so I would guess that was done by a British Advertising agency.

I say don't be too upset about advertisers disrespecting kendo. It's advertising.

Good to know after doing kiri-kaeshi into the bar you can open your beer. just how to drink it?

Comment

James: Good to know after doing kiri-kaeshi into the bar you can open your beer. just how to drink it?

straw?

Comment

Kendo and other Martial Arts shown in TV ads is quite different from what you see in films. In Kurosawa's films you know those guys are performing the proper Budo. In Hollywood films... they can be much mis-represented. Due to the nature of commerical ads on TV (i.e. selling products instead of story-telling), you'd rarely see a well-represented Budo.

Iwatekenshi mentioned the Leonardo one... which I can imagine, they've used a proper kendoka playing Kendo, and a jump-cut of him taking his Men off. So as to make his fans believe that he can do Kendo. Actually some Japanese (kids) take up Budo because some Pop stars practise Judo/Kendo etc. ON THEIR TV SERIES!! The Mass Media is one of the reasons why Martial Arts didn't die off.

In an Ad showing Kendo, no one is saying that "this is what Kendo really is about". For people who've learnt, it's easy to spot whether the actor/actress actually knows the Martial Art in an ad. Back in Hong Kong when I watch some stupid Kungfu movies with someone who knows Martial Arts, it's very entertaining to hear commentary all the way, like "hey that punch is so fake", "hey his footwork is so crap", etc etc.

If you're offended by their misrepresentation, why don't you fire back by making fun out of it?

BTW, my favourite Worldcup ad is the Pepsi Sumo one
                              http://www.pepsi-football.co.uk/sumo/

Comment

Working...
                              X