X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tsuka cleaning

hi to all the kendokas in the world, im new at kendo( I started about a month ago) and I was wondering how to clean my shinais tsuka, Its really dirty allready. Thanks

it's simple :

you DONT (Im laughin, but I AM serious)

Comment

hehe thas nice one thing less to clean, thanks

Comment

hehe that's a coolest thread ever

when your tsuka will be completly blue you will be a great kendo master!

Comment

Yup, the markings and dings on your shinai is a pretty good indication of how well your hits are landing. If its below the nakayuki(the leather chord holding the slats together) then your distancing is out.

Heh, if the tip is blue, good for you!

MENG

Comment

MMm ah..... this is first time i heard anyone want to clean their tsuba .......but I do know I having problem braking my tsuba...... broke 3 already :P.... lucky these are only cheap plastic tsuba..... if my leather one break....... it will break my heart .....

Comment

yo inner_cent....

they are talking about TSUKA... not TSUBA!!!... but yeah.. I this is the first time i have heard people clean tsuka... :| ... well i alway have the problem of losing the grip on the tsuka... at first it nice an rough, meaning good grapping... :P not now... it's all really smooth like...

Comment

smooth tsuka got you down?

run some sandpaper over it and it's as good as new!

Comment

I've heard of people cleaning the tsuka on a iaito, but never a shinai.

Comment

heya cklin....

thanks for the tip.. but i have tried.. it doesnt work... i even they running some metal sander over it.. but same thing.. it'll go smooth within a training or so.. i think it's just tell me 'time to change me' oh well.. =\.. but yeah.. thanks for the tips.....

ps... oh yeah.. people if my last post sound abit rude to inner_cent... I'm sorry about it.... =P habits of picking on my bro... =P.. hehehe

Comment

soap + water + steel wool

Comment

I have heard about the tsuka cleaning. I ment to do that because after a while the tsuka gets to be slippery (if you practise without kote). It makes some difficulties when you are doing for example kirikaeshi without kote.
                        The solution is what Will wrote above. I advice to try with soap + water + nailbrush.

Comment

One Japanese guy I trained with would spit on his kote before training to give him more grip on his tsuka until his hands started sweating enough to wet the leather and stop slipping.

Hamish

Comment

I have never cleaned my Tsuka-gashira. If she is very very dirty i just change it.

Comment

I just use a coarse bristle brush to rough it up a bit. Seems to work ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X