X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's in your journal?

I didn't want to take away from any of the other threads on kendo journals, but I was wondering: So, what kinds of observations are in your journal?

I said in another thread I write in mine too infrequently, but looking back over it this past weekend I found,

-Some thoughts on death, symbolic and literal,
    -Notes on not raising the front foot too high when cutting,
    -The observation that old bad habits can creep back in, even when you think you've purged yourself of them,
    -Sketches of the difference between a big cut and a small cut
    -Various notes on iaido kata
    -Scraps of paper of things other people, mostly senseis, have written.

Would anyone else like to share?

Dang, no replies! Ah, well. I thought some of us folks agreed journaling was this helpful thing?

Comment

Sorry, missed this one:

Most of it related to changing to jodan:with:

More suburi!..left arm nowhere near strong enough. Control goes south after 1 hour ji-geiko.
      Distance is very difficult. Need more kihon to learn it better. (Which, due to work and injury, I haven't been able to do).

Jakob

Comment

Thanks, Jakob. So it's mostly technical stuff?

Comment

Pretty much..the odd hint to mentality (ie, need 'spirit of raging fire' when fighting jodan), but that's about it.

Jakob

Comment

Aweosme. Yeah, most of mine seem to be technical stuff combined with little aspects of reigi I've discovered or had pointed out to me. It's really a "budo journal" because I also write about judo and iaido and stuff in it.

Comment

Just a thought...

Hey Charlie

I think the reason you havent had much response may be that journals are so personal. I dont mean mine contains any great secrets - far from it - in fact I think that's the reason for the lack of response. My journal is fascinating and useful to me, I cant see it being the least bit interesting to anyone else though...

<rei>

Dave

Comment

Good point. I know I have written some rather personal things in mine, mostly about death, God, philosophy. Hmmm...

Comment

But then isnt it more a 'normal' journal, which happens to also contain kendo-stuff?

Jakob

Comment

Well, sorta. It's mostly budo, but thinking about kendo makes me think about life and death. You?

Comment

Working...
                    X