X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding in Japan

So, my fiance and I are planning on getting married in Japan. We are thinking of a shrine or garden somewhere. My fiance is Buddhist and I sorta lean that way, but I hear weddings aren't held in temples because that is where the funerals are held. We also have zero desire to hear psuedo Christian services that some hotels/places try to do in order to duplicate a western wedding, not like we would have one like that back here anyway.

So, does anyone have any advice? We know there are places that will plan weddings for foreigners, but I am curious if any of you have gone through weddings in Japan or know of ways of getting it to happen for foreigners. Language barrier is not so much of an issue. We both have some Japanese language skills and the fiance is actually in grad. school studying it.

Well first of all, Congratulations!!

I don't actually know much about weddings, I'm only 13.
    But when I do get married I plan to do it the way you are, in Japan in a garden somewhere, none of that Christian Bullsh#t.
    I'm actually atheist, I believe in no religion.
    I can't really give you any advice really.
    Just out of curiosity though, is your fiance Japanese, because it would be a bit of a hassle getting your whole family and relatives over to Japan.
    Oh well, good luck.

Comment

Congratulations!!
      My wife is Japanese but didn't get to get married in Japan unfortunately. Well, part of our honeymoon was in Japan...lots of gift exchange and nice food.
      I heard from my wife and friends that there are about 4 different or more ceremonies are involved on wedding day. Unless you are thinking about doing a simple ceremony. My wife said it starts from the day before, usually the bride wears her wedding kimono and display herself to family, relatives and neighbour. And the kimono can cost a lot, even for hire. On the wedding day, it starts from temple or shrine with family and goes on and on...chaging into western style suit and dress....party dress...Well, this is all I know. I might be wrong but hope it gave you bit of idea. I think it may pay to find a wedding agent who can organizes everything for you. Unless you have family or frinds helping you in Japan, it can be difficult.

Cheers

Comment

Congratulations Nodachi.
        Hope you have your dream wedding.

btw kenshin_Axel.. 'christian bullshit'? whats wrong with christianity and their wedding customs.

Comment

Sorry

Sorry man,
          I just don't believe in religion and think it's pretty crazy.
          I didnt mean to offend anyone. So, sorry

Comment

All I can say is that it is going to cost you a lot of money! But good luck!

Comment

Nodachi,

Here's a link for you to read.

http://www.gaijinpot.com/forums/read...&i=5717&t=5717

Comment

If you don't want a bunch of people watching you, it would be best to hold your wedding at a more low profile shrine. If that is not the case, check out Kyoto. Kyoto has plenty of famous shirnes that churn out weddings weekly, so it may even be more affordable.
                Kobe is also quite cheap. (I live in Kansai so I can't really tell you about any other region)
                Temples are not just for funerals, people get married at them as well. It's a different ceremony of course but not just for stiffs.
                Also, it is possible to have a normal (non-Japanese style) Christian wedding, it just takes a little searching. If you go that way check out Nagasaki, Yokohama, or Kobe because these cities have the nicest "foreign" churches. (without a doubt Nagasaki for churches)
                Best wishes to you both.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine_Boy
                  All I can say is that it is going to cost you a lot of money! But good luck!
                  The nice thing actually is that since less people will be able to attend, it will be cheaper. Japan is a very special place for us so we want to have the wedding there, but the less people low cost result is also a nice perk.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
                    The nice thing actually is that since less people will be able to attend, it will be cheaper. Japan is a very special place for us so we want to have the wedding there, but the less people low cost result is also a nice perk.
                    Well nodachi, I didn't want to scare you too much by posting the link to that site.

I think for many who have not experienced Japan, their culture or people that is an ok site for information. But I think that there are quite a few sacre-monger threads on there.

Good luck with your wedding plans.

Had your stag night yet? Just don't let the other half know that you spent the entire evening in the presence of naked ladies with the lads!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshin Axel
                      ..I don't actually know much about weddings, I'm only 13.
                      But when I do get married I plan to do it the way you are, in Japan in a garden somewhere, none of that Christian Bullsh#t.
                      I'm actually atheist, I believe in no religion...
                      If you are atheist, why would you want a Japanese wedding? No, you do not know a lot about weddings.
                      Although a traditional Japanese wedding is not like a Christian wedding, it is a ceremony steeped with Eastern religious stuff. A shrine is a what? A place for religious purposes.

Comment

Did I ever say anything about a Japanese wedding?
                        I said I'd like to have it in Japan, or just outside.
                        I'd hate to be married in a big gloomy church, they seem so creepy to me.
                        I didnt say I wanted a Japanese wedding.

Looks like I've finally out-smarted you Hai Hai,

Comment

I want to get married by Elvis.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshin Axel
                            ...Looks like I've finally out-smarted you Hai Hai,
                            Yes, you did. Now, I have to kill you.

Comment

Not sure what you are looking to find...

I have had a few friends that have been married without any type of "Faith-base" connect to the wedding....but it was kinda odd for me to go to and be part of...sorta like watching two people sign a "Hold-harmless" agreement....

to each his own I guess..

Two people marry each other ,,,thats the same in my Christian faith,,the church just is there to help bless what the two people have decided to do.

But you never need to have a creepy church wedding to be married. You do need to be of a heart that you can no allow this other person to learn more things about you than any other person will ever know...

Remember, being married means that for the rest of your life, it will be this same person who you will find yourself needing to forgive and ask to be forgiven by, the most.

for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health , forsaking all others..until death do us part..

Comment

Working...
                              X