X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinkendo?

I'm only a semi-uneducated nOOb, but I am curious. For all practical purposes, is shinkendo the same as kenjutsu? I find the idea of kenjutsu much more appealing to me thaneither kendo or Iaido for several reasons. Iaido is out of the question due to the fact that a congenital birth-defect causes it to end in a stump, which would be unsuitable for drawing. Kendo uses shinai more than bokuto for sparring, and they emphasis a two handed grip. However, you can hold a bokuto and a katana fairly easily in one hand.

Anyway, off topic I know, but are they the same? If not does anyone here have suggestions for my unique situation?

Shinkendo is gendai budo (modern martial art) that incorporates elements of kenjutsu, iaido and kendo. You would have to check with them to see if they could incorporate your disability. However anything to do with drawing the sword would be difficult as one hand holds the saya and the other draws.

Kendo would be tough, but managable for you. If I were teaching you, I would recommend katate-jodan (single-handed high position) as the way to go.

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil Gendzwill]However anything to do with drawing the sword would be difficult as one hand holds the saya and the other draws.[QUOTE]

Is there a stance in Iaido where you keep the saya in the obi, hold it with your hand and draw the blade that way? That seems more possible.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about. You grip the koiguchi (saya mouth) and pull it back as you draw the blade out. This is called sayabiki. I suppose a modified version where you brace the koiguchi with your stump and draw could half-ass work, but you wouldn't be able to turn the saya, which is necessary to facilitate the draws at various angles. Clearing the tip out of the saya without pulling it back is also hard.

Comment

Saya-Biki

I have seen a video of a gentleman doing seitei iaido with a prosthetic left arm. He had his saya rigged with a hook or something so his prosthetic left hand can control it.

As for Shinkendo, I believe Nathan Scott posted on one of e-budo's thread that they actually don't use/advocate saya-biki. I think it was in the thread where the gentleman who demonstrated in the 1970's Budo: the Art of Killing video had the sageo wrapped in such a way as to not allow saya-biki, which prompted the discussion.

Besides, the Toyama-Ryu military harness that was used in Mr. Obata's Crimson Steel Video would have prevented saya-biki anyway.

FWIW.

Comment

A good saya-biki thread

Comment

Here's the thread where Nathan Scott said Shinkendo doesn't use sayabiki.

Shinkendo & Sayabiki

You should e-mail Nathan if you have questions regarding Shinkendo.

FWIW

Comment

Does anyone know where I might find an authentic shinkendo dojo, in or around Arlington Texas? I'm going to be moving somewhere around that area.

Comment

Originally posted by OodlesOfNoodles
                  Does anyone know where I might find an authentic shinkendo dojo, in or around Arlington Texas? I'm going to be moving somewhere around that area.
                  Hi,

This is the Shinkendo dojo listing from the their website:

http://www.shinkendo.com/dojomap.html

It looks as if they have no dojo in Texas, but perhaps you should ask Nathan Scott sensei.

Comment

But how would I start a branch when I don't know the style? Does anyone know a style similar to ken-jutsu or shinkendo? Or even anything that might fit my criteria? Bokuto training, left-handed application, and adaptation to my situation.

Comment

*bump* Anyone? Hello?

Comment

But how would I start a branch when I don't know the style? Does anyone know a style similar to ken-jutsu or shinkendo? Or even anything that might fit my criteria? Bokuto training, left-handed application, and adaptation to my situation.
                        Hi,

I wasn't insinuating that you start your own Shinkendo branch. Rather, I saw no Shinkendo dojo in Texas on their website. Since I'm not familiar with the availability of any kenjutsu dojo in Texas, perhaps any Texan budoka in this forum can assist you in your search. Have you tried contacting Nathan Scott sensei or anyone else within the Shinkendo Federation to help you in finding the nearest Shinkendo branch?

With a little patience and smart web searching (try E-budo.com for example), you just might be able to find something to your liking.

Good luck!

Comment

I also recommend that you post in the sword forum at e-budo.com. There's lots of sword folk in Texas, and a lot of them, from a lot of different styles, are at e-budo. We should be able to hook you up with someone. And Nathan Scott posts and is a mod there.

Comment

*bump* Anyone? Hello?
                            OodlesOfNoodles,
                            Hi,
                            Come see us practice kendo and iaido at our dojo
                            This sunday, we will be having 1-kyu or below in-dojo mini tournament, so we won't be practicing iaido.
                            check location and practice time at : www.dfwkik.org

We have several members coming from Arlington.
                            Hope to see ya soon ~

Comment

the guy from ninja turtles teaches shin kendo in the old bowling ally in little tokyo...enough said.

Comment

Working...
                              X