X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo shell shock?

Hey guys, I've been taking kendo for about the past year and a half and I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with slight dizzyness, disorientation hours, or even days after pratice.

I practice 3 times a week, and often times outside of kendo I find I get brief mild dizzy spells and a kind of weird throbbing sensation in my head ... kind of like the feeling you get when your men himo are tied too tight...

Does this sound like something I should be worried about?

There could be a few explanations, stinky.

First, check that you're tying your tenegui properly. If there are bunches of fabic pressed into the wrong parts of your head (namely behind your ears, or above them), it will hurt. (from personal experience.)

Secondly, as you said, make sure your men isn't too tight, and that you're not tying your himo too low. If you tie them too low, you could be cutting off a little bit of blood to your brain, that never helps anything.

Thirdly, are the people you practice with striking men in the right spot? If you're being hit repeatedly in the wrong places, you're going to feel dizzy and sore. Ask your practice partners to be more careful. Remind them that kendou isn't about having the strength to knock your opponent out cold. (I really hate that type of kendou, I suspect that the people who do it don't have anything but strength to rely upon.)

Fourthly, you may just have an ear infection. Go see a doctor.

lastly, contrary to popular belief, the brain is the most important part of your body. if your head hurts, go see a doctor. you only get one brain you know.

c

Comment

Dear Stinky,
      I concur completely with Confound. Go see a doctor. It will almost certainly be nothing, but you don't take chances with your brain. The doc will probably tell you to take some time off. BTW try and find a doctor who already knows what kendo is. Many docs equate full contact sports with the devil.

All Confound's words of advice are good and worth acting on. I'll add a few more: you might need more padding in your men, or your men may not be offering the protection it once did. Ask a senior person in your dojo to assess the men that you're using. You might need to purchase an insert.

b

Comment

Sounds like dehydration and/or overtraining (Are you getting enough carbs and rest?)...see a doc.

Jakob

Comment

Aso, make sure that you have not changed any of your usual habits like your sleep schedule or your eating habits, etc. Before looking at Kendo as the cause, make sure that everything else has not drastically changed to rule out other possible causes. I once developed alergies to certain foods, but I blamed playing soccer out in the summer heat too much as the cause. It took me three months to realize that it was food alergies and not the soccer.

Comment

See a doctor. NOW!

R

Comment

Also, in another forum, someone (possibly cyphersushi) suggested placing an old mousepad in your men for additional cushioning. Try that as well.

c

Comment

How about CT-SCAN?

Comment

aaaah! man ... I don't really wanna irridiate my skull unless it's really necessary... thanks for all the advice guys, I'll go see a doc as soon as I can...

hmm, changing my sleeping/eating habits? hmm... started going to the gym three times a week, started eating all kinds of wacky protein shakes and bars... sleeping less... d'oh....

hey, thanks for all the advice everyone- I'll let you know how it turns out-

Comment

"hmm... started going to the gym three times a week, started eating all kinds of wacky protein shakes and bars... sleeping less... d'oh.... "

Ok, almost definitly overtraining...and unless you want to bulk up muscle, cut the protein bars/shakes and get carb ones instead.
                    Consider using a HRM for the gym (and the mornings) if you want to train hard..that way it should be easier to tell if you are overdoing it. (your resting heart rate will go up, if you overtrain)

Take a couple of days off, eat and drink (not alcohol) a lot.

Jakob

Comment

yah, I'm trying to put on a few pounds ... I suppose I've been pushing a bit too hard lately...have a shiai coming up this sunday and I wanna do well... stupid weak body ... oh well, I've got some time off work this month, seems like a good time to wind down for awhile...

Comment

It must be stress or overfatigue. Why don' t you try the cheapest way to solve it? Just take a rest some times or a long sleep. When you wake up, it's a different ballgame for you.

No more CT-SCANS for now.(Sigh!!!)

Comment

sleep is allways good
                          and make sure yopur eating and drinking properly

just to re-iterate the advice already given

Comment

Don't wind down later in the month..if it's overtraining wind down *now*!..otherwise it will only get worse. Only do light practice for the rest of the week, if absolutly necessary. Stay well out of the anaerobic range (ie nothing that makes you winded!) and do nothing Saturday.

Jakob

Comment

As an aside, if you are trying to put on lean body-mass, you'll want to get as much rest as possible - that's where most of your growth occurs. Any professional BB'er will tell you that rest is just as important as diet and training.

Comment

Working...
                              X