X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo vs. Kenjutsu

if you dressed a student of kenjutsu(dont know the name...maybe kenshi) in bogu, and a kendoka fought him would the kenjutsu student have a chance?

Originally posted by bokkenbreaker83
    if you dressed a student of kenjutsu(dont know the name...maybe kenshi) in bogu, and a kendoka fought him would the kenjutsu student have a chance?
    I dont know about kenjitsu but maybe the kenjitsu person would hit other parts of the body other than the head, kote, and body..... arent legs ok in kenjitsu?

once you think about it, what it kenjitsu anyway? do you really even fight? just techniques?

I dont know, maybe the two would be fighting like someone from totally different styles like fighting judo with taeqwondo. Doesnt really work.

Comment

ok. well let's put it this way.....any part of the body is vunerable to attack.

Comment

Originally posted by bokkenbreaker83
        ok. well let's put it this way.....any part of the body is vunerable to attack.
        I really do not know much about kenjitsu attacks but the kendo person would be limited to those areas of strike.......

I think cloing the distance, the kendo person would strike a killing blow first. But in close, the kenjitsu person may be more effective. kendo has that leap forward that I have not seen in kenjitsu

Comment

The kenjutsuka would win. I'd put a 5:1 favouring the kenjutsuka. Because we kenjutsuka actually engage in full armour (ie bogu) sparring called gekken. Whereas kendoka would be restricted by the rules and techniques they learnt, we would not. Of course, that's not say that a skilled kendoka won't win; it's just that we kenjutsuka have more options.

Comment

I do agree that Kenjustuka have more options in a fight. But Kendo is an almost entirely full contact art, where as(from what I know) Kenjutsu is more kata that fighting. So a kenjutsuka could hit where ever, but the kendoka would more than likely get yuko datotsu because the techniques are more refined, and specifically used for fighting another kenshi, instead on just hunt and peck.

But then again, there would be no way of judging a match like that really. Well not unless there was a shinpan that was trained in both Kendo and Kenjutsu, so he could tell what is correct for Kenjutsu cuts. And I seriously doubt anyone would successfully strike a kendoka's leg. It would probably be in a hiki-waza type of move, and by that time, the kenjutsuka's men would be hit.

But I'm not bashing Kenjutsu or anything. Just giving my opinion.

Comment

I talk to my friend who is in a kenjutsu dojo in edmonton, AB and he says that a well trained kenjutsuka would no doubt win, and i agree with him. He told me that they are trained how to cut AROUND the bogu, instead of hitting it... so they'd probably injure a kendoka before anything really happened.

But, kendoka do have a slight advantage... we do keiko more often. He has been in kenjutsu for almost three years, and me in kendo for only one. They do so much in his dojo that they spar maybe 2 or 3 classes a month, so i am more used to the sparring atmosphere....

Another story that he said his sensei told him, is that after kendo was formed, 2 generation of sensei's ago used to run a kenjutsu and kendo dojo at the same time, and when a kendoka got cocky thinking he could beat anyone, the sensei would bring a lower level kenjutsuka into the kendo dojo have have them spar... the kenjutsuka would always win, and kendoka would learn overconfidence was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by canuck316
                I talk to my friend who is in a kenjutsu dojo in edmonton, AB and he says that a well trained kenjutsuka would no doubt win, and i agree with him. He told me that they are trained how to cut AROUND the bogu, instead of hitting it... so they'd probably injure a kendoka before anything really happened.

But, kendoka do have a slight advantage... we do keiko more often. He has been in kenjutsu for almost three years, and me in kendo for only one. They do so much in his dojo that they spar maybe 2 or 3 classes a month, so i am more used to the sparring atmosphere....

Another story that he said his sensei told him, is that after kendo was formed, 2 generation of sensei's ago used to run a kenjutsu and kendo dojo at the same time, and when a kendoka got cocky thinking he could beat anyone, the sensei would bring a lower level kenjutsuka into the kendo dojo have have them spar... the kenjutsuka would always win, and kendoka would learn overconfidence was bad.
                Hey Canuck, that sounds cool! Can you provide a link to your friends kenjitsu school. Sounds interesting. Wonder what style it is. Can I ask why you decided to take kendo over your friends kenjitsu?

Alex

Comment

I guess kenjutsu is supposedly more "practical". I have an acquaitence or two who practice koryu.

but I live in a place where robot ninjas dont jump out of no where and start cutting off heads so i'll stick to kendo thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Twobitmage
                    I guess kenjutsu is supposedly more "practical". I have an acquaitence or two who practice koryu.

but I live in a place where robot ninjas dont jump out of no where and start cutting off heads so i'll stick to kendo thank you.
                    Hi! What is koryu? Do you mean kenjitsu? I thought the translation of koryu is "old style" 古流. これは正しいでしょうか?

How does your acquaitence's style differ? :-)

Your neighborhood sounds safe :-) I dont have robot ninjas, just weird people in my neighborhood.

Alex

Comment

My two cents

While I've no experience with Kendo, my take on it is that its a sport with well defined rules, guidelines, and movements. It's structured.

Kenjutsu, handling a sword once its drawn, has katas (or waza) to teach you how to move with the sword both in attacking and blocking. There's attacks to defeat your opponents defenses and there are blocks to use your opponents movements against them and become the attacker to win.

Not that there's nothing similar in Kendo, but again, my impression is that there's a block for a specific attack. In kenjutsu, we're taught the basics and then during sparing it's put to the test of interpretation and improvisation. An over head cut can be blocked by a varying number of methods. I can block, block and attack, block and shove them off balance, move out of the way and block the secondary cut, etc etc. In Kendo you can't move of the line (or so I believe).

I have to agree with the majority here that the kenjustuka would win against the kendoka. But the main problem with putting one against the other is that they are two different styles. Being a practicioner of kenjutsu, my first and only thought if I were in this event would be to strike first to kill. You can wave that shinai (sp?) all you want in my face but the second you move in I'm going to cut through the closest body part I can reach and continue until you go down and stay down.

But again, this is all a one-sided opinion. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they are vastly different from what I've observed about the art I don't practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Slade
                        While I've no experience with Kendo
                        Clearly.
                        Not that there's nothing similar in Kendo, but again, my impression is that there's a block for a specific attack.
                        Wrong.
                        In Kendo you can't move of the line (or so I believe).
                        Wrong again.

You keep speaking of kenjutsu like it's one thing. Kendo is more or less homogenised. Kenjutsu is a catch all term for the sword curriculum of hundreds of koryu, who have different techniques and different methods of training.

Comment

Ah, but they say Kendo spawned from Kenjutzu. For what reason did Kenjutzu need to form into Kendo? Practicality, boardom? If Kenjutzu is so much better then why did part of it evolve into such the "inferior Kendo"?

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist
                            Ah, but they say Kendo spawned from Kenjutzu. For what reason did Kenjutzu need to form into Kendo? Practicality, boardom? If Kenjutzu is so much better then why did part of it evolve into such the "inferior Kendo"?
                            The Meiji Restoration. Superior/inferior isn't relevant.

I think the only sensible post so far was by Neil.

Comment

An over head cut can be blocked by a varying number of methods. I can block, block and attack, block and shove them off balance, move out of the way and block the secondary cut, etc etc.
                              Haha! So can I! Man, you are seriously misinformed about kendo.

my first and only thought if I were in this event would be to strike first to kill. You can wave that shinai (sp?) all you want in my face but the second you move in I'm going to cut through the closest body part I can reach and continue until you go down and stay down.
                              Yeah, that is my first and only thought too. What else would it be? And yes, I'm probably going to strike the closest body part (though I might not wait for you to move in...), and it is probably going to be your head or your right wrist... you know, there is a reason why kendo is the way it is! You should try it!

Comment

Working...
                              X