Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello.

Hey all,
    I got intrested(sp?) in Kendo after practicing Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaijutsu, and some Kenjutsu. So, I need a way to test my skills against others, so I sought out Kendo. Now, I know the main goal of the martial arts is not having to use them, but I would still like to "play" kendo... So, I already go to a dojo, wher e I'm learning Aikido and Aiki-jutsu, and my parent's probalby won't let me take kendo as well... any solutions?
    (By the way, I'm 14 years old and a male.)
    Peace.

You say your parents "probably" won't let you. Haved you asked them? I think an interest in the martial arts is as important as one in music or science (or literature, computers, etc.). Get over the first hurdle by talking to your parents first and telling them the reasons for your interest.

Comment

I don't want this to come across as a wiseass response, but we do not "play" kendo. Kendo is not a sport, regardless of how it's approached in the U.S. Kendo's aim is to develop the person's mind, body, and spirit, not just for kendo, but for all things in the person's life.

Having said that, my dojo had a young man who was 13, who studied kendo for some time. Both he and his father would come to class, both participated, and they were both getting very good with their techniques.

I see no reason why you couldn't study kendo, but bear in mind that the cost of the equipment, especially the body armor (bogu) can be expensive.

As long as you're committed to doing the studies, you should be well prepared for kendo with your studies of other martial arts.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your comments. I'm going to ask one of 'em tonight (Parents that is.) And I'm looking forward to practicing Kendo.

Comment

I alredy know sword basics. If I want to practice alone before I go to a dojo, what should I do? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Light Samurai
            I alredy know sword basics. If I want to practice alone before I go to a dojo, what should I do? Thanks.
            The only basics from Kenjutsu or Iaijutsu that you may be using in Kendo is the grip of the sword. But that is still good. You will find that the basics of Kendo are much, much different most likely.

You shouldn't practice anything before you go to the dojo. The sensei will go over the basics with you for a while, and he will more than likely suggest some things he'd like you to work on at home.

The reason I say that you shouldn't practice at home before you even try it is just that, you havn't been introduced to any of the techniques and havn't got a sensei to supervise you. If you want to do anything while you wait to go to the dojo, you could read up on the history of Kendo, and maybe some terminology. But teminology is different between dojo most of the time, so look for general terms.

Sorry if any of that came off as mean or offensive ^^;.

Good luck and I hope your parents decide to let you study Kendo as well.

Comment

Thanks. I might wait until my Aiki-Jutsu seminar is done before I take Kendo. When I do go to the Kendo Dojo, should I being a bokken or a shinai? I assume a shinai is what I need, but I just want to make sure...

Comment

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
                I don't want this to come across as a wiseass response, but we do not "play" kendo. Kendo is not a sport, regardless of how it's approached in the U.S. Kendo's aim is to develop the person's mind, body, and spirit, not just for kendo, but for all things in the person's life.

Having said that, my dojo had a young man who was 13, who studied kendo for some time. Both he and his father would come to class, both participated, and they were both getting very good with their techniques.

I see no reason why you couldn't study kendo, but bear in mind that the cost of the equipment, especially the body armor (bogu) can be expensive.

As long as you're committed to doing the studies, you should be well prepared for kendo with your studies of other martial arts.
                It's a martial sport.

Comment

No, I don't think it is a martial sport. There is more then competitions, there are some Kenjutsu katas in Kendo. Or so I think.

Comment

No, I don't think it is a martial sport. There is more then competitions, there are some Kenjutsu katas in Kendo. Or so I think.
                    Yeah, but if it were just Kenjutsu with sparring, it'd still be Kenjutsu.

Plus you attack their armor...instead of weak areas in their armor, like Kenjutsu. Kendo is like Judo...It's a martial art and sport, and therefore a Martial Sport. Or would you prefer a Martial SpArt?

Comment

Thanks. I might wait until my Aiki-Jutsu seminar is done before I take Kendo. When I do go to the Kendo Dojo, should I being a bokken or a shinai? I assume a shinai is what I need, but I just want to make sure...
                      Well most classes(or at least mine) use both. It would probably be best to call the dojo before you go and ask what they recommend. Sometimes, especially when it is your first time, they won't require you to bring a sword at all, since dojo usually have equipment that you can use.

I would wait to take Kendo as well, just so you have the time to devote to Kendo. There is a saying my sensei that used to practice Goju-ryu Karate would say refering to training in multiple arts at the same time..

"If you chase two rabbits, you will more than likely catch neither one." (something close to that at least)

So if you try to do too much, you will not progress much at all. Or at least that is my interpritation of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reikon
                        Yeah, but if it were just Kenjutsu with sparring, it'd still be Kenjutsu.

Plus you attack their armor...instead of weak areas in their armor, like Kenjutsu. Kendo is like Judo...It's a martial art and sport, and therefore a Martial Sport. Or would you prefer a Martial SpArt?
                        I can see that from your theory on Kendo you don't practice it. So let me correct you on a few things...

When we are practicing in armor there is a mind set that we are not fighting in armor, we are in a duel, not a warfield. The areas in which we strike are the places that, if cut, would inflict the most damage.

In Kendo we fight full contact, so we need armor in order to devote ourselves entirely to the strikes without having to "pull" them.

Kendo, like most arts, has shiai(tournaments). So there is a certain "sport" aspect that arises since the matches are decided on points. But this is only a very small part of Kendo. Fighting is only present in Kendo to aid in the developement of a mind that is unmoveable even in the worst(most exciting, fast paced) situations. So what better way to train a mind to overcome these situations than to present them to it.

Tournaments are seen(for the most part, to most kendoka) as a way to gauge one's progress in the art.

The amount of etiqutte in everything that has to do with Kendo alone dictates the fact that Kendo is an art, and not a sport. However there are those who overlook the etiquette and traditions of Kendo for the fighting alone, which is wrong.

I'm not trying to "put you in your place" or anything, I just wanted to clear some things up. ^^;

Comment

Sorry if I'm spamming, but I asked my Mom if she would let me join after my seminar is done. She says she'll think about it, which is almost always a yes if I show I'm motivated.

Peace.

Comment

Sorry if I'm spamming, but I asked my Mom if she would let me join after my seminar is done. She says she'll think about it, which is almost always a yes if I show I'm motivated.

Peace.
                            Don't worry. You're not spamming. Spamming is typing a bunch of nonsense that doesn't have anything to do with anything. At least thats what I've learned.
                            Thats good that your mom might let you join. ^^ Lets hope she says yes.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I might get to do Calligraphy in Art class. whoo.

Comment

Working...
                              X