The decline of the Forums....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The decline of the Forums....

Just curious as to what you guys think about this. I still check the KW forums regularly, and it's apparent decline in new posts/threads is obvious.

I wonder what the reason is for this? My opinion is that there are so many other venues available for Kendo info/chats. All of those Kendo groups on Facebooks come to mind.

I suppose it's inevitable, and all things change, but shoot, I do miss the activity that used to happen here.

I might have answered my own question, it took 11 minutes for my original post to load onto the site.....

....sigh......

Comment

After the forums were down for several weeks a few years ago, it seemed like the discussion died off.

I have no idea where the discussions are now, as I don't belong to any kendo groups on social media.

Comment

Yeah, there have been way too many technical problems with the forums, compounded with the huge amount of down time.

Comment

Some of the traffic may have been diverted to Reddit.

Comment

The most active place now seems to be the World Kendo Network Facebook group, unless I am missing another place. It's kind of a shame because I find the forums much better for actual discussion, whereas Facebook is better for posting links, pictures, and videos. Reddit is okay for discussion, but /r/kendo is only maybe slightly more active than the forums.

Comment

The upgrade to the new forum software basically killed us. Web forums in general are dying, although I don't understand why. FB is a terrible medium for a discussion. Reddit is better but honestly /r/kendo doesn't see much more traffic than here.

Comment

I pass it off as a symptom of the times. Very few people actually want to engage in conversation these days. It's much more about sound bites and quick opinions or links uploaded from people's phones. I think this is why Facebook is so popular right now, because it caters to exactly this sort of interaction. Internet fora require that you actively engage with others, and you can't easily remove your comments if you're wrong, as you can on most places on Facebook.

Just my opinions though.

Comment

All valid points to be sure. I would say though that the "upgrade" of the website a while back really killed things off. Or at least was the catalyst for its steady decline. It's never really been the same since.

I think it's a good comment about how people interact virtually nowadays. That "soundbite culture" of Facebook is pervasive and totally doesn't lend itself well to actual discussions like we used to have here.

However, I'm glad to see all of the responses. Perhaps there are enough stalwarts on this site that while the forums aren't what they used to be, they will continue in some fashion.

Comment

WKF has been the best source of information and meeting kenshis. I have met so many kenshis at WKF and still do. It is shame WKF doesn't come with new solution that attracts more kenshis. The knowledge in WKF is priceless and sharing thought, debate and arguments have been big positive points for me But now, people use facebook which is horrible way of sharing or asking information. Now people has FB and Youtube to share info which is more visual than sharing thought. Anyway, I kinda see that many new kenshis don't even know what WKF is.... Eventually, WKF may disappear unless they come out with new way to share info.

Comment

Maybe people took the advice "go ask your sensei".

Comment

there is only so much stuff you can answer on here without some kind of face to face contact...and I reckon most newbie questions have been answered at some point... It would be nice to have some more technical discussions with the senior members though. You get a bit sick of reading the same old stuff about , say, whether or not we should buy stuff from some shop or other...

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
                          there is only so much stuff you can answer on here without some kind of face to face contact...and I reckon most newbie questions have been answered at some point... It would be nice to have some more technical discussions with the senior members though. You get a bit sick of reading the same old stuff about , say, whether or not we should buy stuff from some shop or other...
                          OK, I'll start ... Do you do anything in particular to work on proper tanden involvement in both movement and cutting, or do you just work on it as part of your regular practice?

Comment

Oh! I'm in!
                            I haven't posted in a long time on this forums, simply because I was unable to log in. I even tried to make a new account but that didn't work either, so I kinda gave up. Maybe others had the same problems?
                            Just treid to log in with my original account when I read this post and now it works again. :-)

Comment

I prefer the boards. Facebook puts your life out there for anyone to see which is not always a good thing in the professional world. That said, the boards allow anonymity which creates its own problems. I think though that it can also expose one’s true character. I read the board far more than I post. It was a great reference especially when I first started kendo. The flames section was great for a little lunch time humor but in many cases went a little far. In many cases people were forming opinions on things that there was no way they could have knowledge about. Personally, I love constructive arguments however the key word is constructive. Scott and I went back and forth once and I enjoyed it. I personally did not post much because I did not want to hear a bunch of BS from people who do not know my situation and I get tired of explaining it. I am a jodan player who is only a nidan and have been since I was 1kyu. I am not a particularly good jodan player but I am getting better. My jodan instructions are few and far between. I have to travel to get instruction and make videos of myself in order to get help from a friend in Japan. My point being there are certain topics such as lower ranks practicing jodan that are toxic on the board and it makes people not want to post. The people that are left seem to be a level headed group. There are two of you I have met on multiple occasions and my sensei has met Neil sensei and has a high opinion of him. Long story short I am going to start posting if for nothing else to get the conversations going again.

Comment

Working...
                              X