The decline of the Forums....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott H View Post
    I might have answered my own question, it took 11 minutes for my original post to load onto the site.....

....sigh......

Yeah, it's painful to post these days, ever since that "upgrade".

Originally posted by pgsmith View Post

OK, I'll start ... Do you do anything in particular to work on proper tanden involvement in both movement and cutting, or do you just work on it as part of your regular practice?
    I am waiting with baited breath

Comment

Originally posted by Scott H View Post
      I might have answered my own question, it took 11 minutes for my original post to load onto the site.....

....sigh......

Originally posted by pgsmith View Post

OK, I'll start ... Do you do anything in particular to work on proper tanden involvement in both movement and cutting, or do you just work on it as part of your regular practice?
      I am waiting with baited breath

*UGH* it even erred out the first time I tried to post this....

Comment

And now it's posted twice...lovely....

Comment

The upgrade is what killed it for me. I got out of the habit of checking. Pretty much only end up here when I search for something kendo related on the web. There is still a lot of great archived discussion. /r/kendo is mostly where I talk about kendo these days. Facebook is a little closely linked to my real name, etc.

Comment

Saw this trhead yesterday. I wanted to comment but didn't have anything to add to the discussion: which pretty much sums up why I don't read or participate in the forums too much anymore.

That being said, this is still a great ressource for information, meeting up with other kenshi and finding dojo all over the place.

Now, back to regular scheduled keiko...

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post

Yup, this. I like these forums a lot but the current forum agent feels really clunky and clumsy, which brings me back less. The fact that so much good conversation has been driven away just makes it less of a 'priority check' when I am going through all the places that I like on the internet.

Comment

Humm I have not been on for ages. Everything is hard to read. There is no flow. You could tell at a glance what was informative, useful to your kendo, made you fall off your chair with laughter or just wondered how oxygen thieves managed to get their little bit in. OK I haven't contributed much but the old format was so much better.

Comment

Humm I have not been on for ages. Everything is hard to read. There is no flow. You could tell at a glance what was informative, useful to your kendo, mad
                  e you fall off your chair with laughter or just wondered how oxygen thieves managed to get their little bit in. OK I haven't contributed much but the old format was so much better.

Comment

Evening, bitches - have you missed me and Mr Cthulhu? :-)

Comment

I thought I would have a quick gander at KW for the first time in ages and came across this thread. Here's my tuppence worth...

There was a time when I would be checking the forums on an almost hourly basis, on account of the number of threads I was interested/participating in. I suppose a lot of that was due to the relatively short time I had been involved with Kendo and I was in the midst of learning new things, forming new friendships and just generally participating in what was, at the time, a thriving community. Being relatively new (and, consequently, a little excitable) I got stuck into any topic, asking questions and offering opinions. I also enjoyed the 'Lounge' - talking toot and having fun with a *mostly* like - minded group of people. As I recall, the main thing that killed it for me was the extended downtime the forum suffered before and during format changes. I stopped checking every day once I realised that a week had passed since I had seen any progress and the new format was less appealing than the old one so I felt less inclined to check. I suppose the other reason my posting tailed off was due to the fact that my own kendo had reached a point where I knew what I needed to work on and so just wanted to train rather than discuss and I was acutely aware that any questions being asked were already being answered by people far more qualified than me. This left me with not much to contribute. I might have stayed on just for the Lounge laughs but a lot of the people I had so regularly enjoyed conversing with had moved on, possibly due to the downtime or the format change. As they say, all good things come to an end.

I do miss it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
                        Evening, bitches - have you missed me and Mr Cthulhu? :-)
                        Oh my! Is that what you call it these days? :-)

I think Facebook has brought down pretty much all of the fora. I don't care much for Facebook, but things change all the time and so we must adjust.

I can still whine about it though!

Comment

Im not sure if my observation is accurate or based on just how i see things as time passes. I remember when i first began kendo and frequenting this forum, the kendo population around the world seemed to be extremely interested in getting in touch with eachother over the internet. Internet at the time, 11 years ago, while not new, was still fresh and exciting for people. They were excited by the idea of talking to others from around the world and possibly meeting them.

As time went, and the world wide web became as cool as yesterdays lunch, people got so used to talking to anyone and everyone from every part of the world, and being exposed to pretty much anything and everything that they could get their "hands" on, i think the novelty and excitement that came with any forum, especially one such as this, began to wear off.

Yes, the forum update and teh downtime it caused, was a catalyst, but also possibly just a way to get people away from the forums to "realise" they just weren't as interested in it anymore.

Atleast i can say, thats pretty much what happend to me.

Comment

Hi, I went away for a long time because my job started taking up a ton of time. However, I stumbled across /r/kendo the other day and thought to myself that maybe I should check in here...

Comment

My 2 cents, I've followed a couple forums off and on since they first emerged. In the beginning I think there was a lot of excitement because people could connect in a new way. In the early days some forums had published authors and researchers who posted regularly. They were great. Then the masses started participating, diluting quality while increasing quantity of post (not so much here, but a little), meaning that you had to read through a lot of garbage to get to something decent. From there we get the idiot factor, idiots are drawn to forums like moths to a flame, mostly I'm guessing because they get shut down in real life. This happens even on the better forums. People with actual seniority in budo get annoyed very quickly at people far junior to them disagreeing with their post or arguing with them online. This leads to mid to low experienced people dominating many forums (I'm not talking specifically about anyone here) and they gain prominence and "authority" based on their frequency of posting and on their writing ability (versus their actual real life budo experience). Lastly, on the positive side, some of us have formed friendships through these forums and now communicate privately.

Comment

Isn't the ability to write well a reflection of person's experience and understanding? If somebody has a deep understanding of a subject they are able to convey their meaning withou tflorrid writing all it requires is clarity. I think it's easy to spot a post that is well-written but essentially vacuous (like this one), but I have to say, I don't come across these very often.

I think forums have died off because of more immediate modes of communication becoming popular-more immediate but not necessarily better and probably more impoverished.

Comment

Working...
                                X